How many RPCD don't want DIAD and ORION?

anonymous23456

Seriously, even if you know your routes by heart it can be useful for new places that you haven't been to before. You can always ignore its recommendations.

Also how are you going to message the warehouse? Texting on your phone? I would not want to do that with my phone!

dudebro

First thing is if you have a properly trained and motivated PDS, the solutions are pretty good. But this might only be the top quartile of people in that job.

Also, I've heard that there are as many as 120 billing/service accessorials that are NOT apparent to a person reading the label, such as using the 1P for 1DA saver or even the ninth and tenth character of the tracking number are apparent. ORION optimizes for these, they say, and this is why even well-curated routes have drivers following a trace that's not intuitively efficient.

I'm not on the ORION project but this is what I've gathered from talking to people who are.

Brownwind

Seriously, even if you know your routes by heart it can be useful for new places that you haven't been to before. You can always ignore its recommendations.

Also how are you going to message the warehouse? Texting on your phone? I would not want to do that with my phone!
Warehouse??? Do you work for ups??

Brownwind

I can beat the Orion trace all day everyday. My customers are always served with the best service on the planet. I believe the Orion program is for the younger generation that doesn’t know how to use a map or have common sense. It’s great for the kids but not so much for the older generation

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
First thing is if you have a properly trained and motivated PDS, the solutions are pretty good. But this might only be the top quartile of people in that job.

Also, I've heard that there are as many as 120 billing/service accessorials that are NOT apparent to a person reading the label, such as using the 1P for 1DA saver or even the ninth and tenth character of the tracking number are apparent. ORION optimizes for these, they say, and this is why even well-curated routes have drivers following a trace that's not intuitively efficient.

I'm not on the ORION project but this is what I've gathered from talking to people who are.

Doesn’t matter how well you optimize it. It has you climbing over bulk to search for Amazon bubble packs and doing unnecessary backs at every other house. Updating every 10 minutes to put your pickups in a completely new and completely wrong order. Absolute garbage.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
1 or two days where it might help on a blind run absolutely does not make up for the lifetime of damage it does when you actually understand the route.

deeztier

Orion is Dog $h!t. the itinerary updates are complete sabotage. they're better off providing a phone given the new diads crash every 40 stops.

DOK

That’s the weak link, the pds, or dispatch sup. If splits are just thrown in a random place in your delivery order, like just put in 8000 or 1000, Orion can’t figure it out and it’s a mess. The dispatch sup starting less than an hour before the preload starts unloading in a center with 30-40 routes compounds the problem, there’s just not enough time to put the add/cuts in their proper place.

DriverNerd

If you never delivered before ORION you don't know what is like. Routes were set up to run a specific way and doing it like that, save for a couple air stops before 10:30, got you through the truck faster with way less miles.

Personally I love ORION. When it was first implemented (before NAV) stop counts dropped and miles went up. It hasn't changed.

If they still had RDO but included NAV that would be the best. It was a real pain doing cut routes out of a map book.

Using a DIAD isn't a big deal, if it works easy and efficiently like the DIAD 5. The 6 is garbage.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
That’s the weak link, the pds, or dispatch sup. If splits are just thrown in a random place in your delivery order, like just put in 8000 or 1000, Orion can’t figure it out and it’s a mess. The dispatch sup starting less than an hour before the preload starts unloading in a center with 30-40 routes compounds the problem, there’s just not enough time to put the add/cuts in their proper place.
I have a tight residential area that sort of overlaps with the loop next to me. Right side of road you deliver to front door, left side you deliver to back door, which is technically the street over.
Some days I'll have that "street" on my 1000, 5000, AND 8000 shelf. Luckily I load my own truck so it's easy to remedy but come on.

Steamer

I can beat the Orion trace all day everyday. My customers are always served with the best service on the planet. I believe the Orion program is for the younger generation that doesn’t know how to use a map or have common sense. It’s great for the kids but not so much for the older generation
I've seen older generation guys get lost on routes that they don't know. So really isn't not just common sense. It's easy to run a route once you have run it dozens of times. Let alone thousands. It's just repetition. Not rocket science. Since Monday is a free for all day sometimes one of them get pushed to a route that they don't know. Especially if they show up late after everyone has picked routes already. Then they are totally lost and even miss PPP pick up times or don't get pick up stops all together sometimes. Since we have Saturday delivery Monday has been a seniority based day for routes since several of the routes aren't in.

I cant follow Orion. I've tried, but then again, I have my own route.
My main frustration is the Diad 6. It should fit in our hands, and we should be able to disable the touch screen except for signatures, which should work in the rain. We should be able to scan labels in the sun. I don't need an invasive pop up auto fill when trying to clarify a signature, especially when the suggested name is longer than allowed.

Thebrownblob

I cant follow Orion. I've tried, but then again, I have my own route.
My main frustration is the Diad 6. It should fit in our hands, and we should be able to disable the touch screen except for signatures, which should work in the rain. We should be able to scan labels in the sun. I don't need an invasive pop up auto fill when trying to clarify a signature, especially when the suggested name is longer than allowed.
Diad six is a mess and seems to be going backwards again with new updates.