hr clerical error denied me a promotion. how should i handle this?

preloader9144

File a grievance.
Bid on the next driver position.
How was this an HR Clerical error? Please explain.
Because if i should have gone to driving school a couple weeks ago along with other employess i know with my same senority date. They took my name off the list and filled all the positions with people who were after me on the list. Had the background check been done correctly the first i would already be a full time driver. I understand i was ineligible at the time but they shouldnt continue filling classes with people after me on the list after i became eligible.

preloader9144

I don't think it's an error on ups. It was probably the third party background service they used. I think they acted in good faith. You really expect them to wait a month?
I didnt expect them to wait a month. I expect them to find me a spot as a full time driver. Since promotions are not given off performance this was my chance to get promoted. And because ups hired the third party background check company i expect them to take responsibility for the people they hired not doing their job and screwing over hard working ups employees.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I didnt expect them to wait a month. I expect them to find me a spot as a full time driver. Since promotions are not given off performance this was my chance to get promoted. And because ups hired the third party background check company i expect them to take responsibility for the people they hired not doing their job and screwing over hard working ups employees.

Why is UPS responsible for a third party company? They are not.

If you knew the report was wrong and your record was fine, you should have grieved it right away.

It may be too late now, but it is worth a shot. Maybe UPS will do the right thing, maybe not.

10 point

So i was called to be a full time driver, however when they ran my background check it came back with false information causing me to be ineligible. I appealed it showed them my court documents proving i was eligible and it got reversed. However this process took a month and by the time everything was good they had filled all the driver positions and are now telling me they have no options for me. Does anyone know how i should handle this??
If this error was from UPS or a third party records agency UPS hired, I'd be grieving and asking to be made whole including any lost earnings/benefit opportunities along with back dated seniority.
Here's what you could do.

Grieve it. Company error.

UPS could be forced to train you and then have your seniority date reverted back to the date it should have been.

Here is what UPS will do. Abide by the grievance settlement, train you, but then disqualify you before you get your 30 days.

You then could have to wait a year to try again.

Your call.
Ok. Let's say that you grieved it. In the meantime you got the chance to qualify and the grievance wasn't settled yet but in your grievance you asked to be made whole and that your seniority date would be reverted back to the month/day where you should have started driving to begin with.

Let's then say you qualified and they settled your grievance giving you 3 seniority dates: your part-time seniority date; the date that you actually qualified as a driver as a ft seniority date; and then a date that goes back to when you should have gone into driving that is only good for bidding on routes but progression, wage progression and any other benefits that have anything to do with full-time seniority (including back pay) will be based on the date you actually qualified later.

3 seniority dates. How does that sound?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Ok. Let's say that you grieved it. In the meantime you got the chance to qualify and the grievance wasn't settled yet but in your grievance you asked to be made whole and that your seniority date would be reverted back to the month/day where you should have started driving to begin with.

Let's then say you qualified and they settled your grievance giving you 3 seniority dates: your part-time seniority date; the date that you actually qualified as a driver as a ft seniority date; and then a date that goes back to when you should have gone into driving that is only good for bidding on routes but progression, wage progression and any other benefits that have anything to do with full-time seniority (including back pay) will be based on the date you actually qualified later.

3 seniority dates. How does that sound?

Too complicated. If you won the grievance, your FT seniority date would be the date it should have been in the first place, and the wage progression started from that date.

That is why I say the grievance would not be won. It is easier to deny the grievance, or disqualify him if he wins it, than to try and come up with a compromise to suite everyone.

10 point

Too complicated. If you won the grievance, your FT seniority date would be the date it should have been in the first place, and the wage progression started from that date.

That is why I say the grievance would not be won. It is easier to deny the grievance, or disqualify him if he wins it, than to try and come up with a compromise to suite everyone.
Yes sir.
That's how our BA signed off the grievance for this situation a few months ago.
Three seniority dates for this guy.
Classic bullcrap.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yes sir.
That's how our BA signed off the grievance for this situation a few months ago.
Three seniority dates for this guy.
Classic bullcrap.

if it was me in that situation I could live with that.

The main issue would be the seniority date for bidding jobs and picking vacations. And if that is where it should have been in the first place, I could live with the progression starting from the "later" seniority date.

But it is kind of ridiculous to have 3 seniority dates.

I never would have guessed that UPS would have agreed to something like that. I can understand the union agreeing to it.

10 point

if it was me in that situation I could live with that.

The main issue would be the seniority date for bidding jobs and picking vacations. And if that is where it should have been in the first place, I could live with the progression starting from the "later" seniority date.

But it is kind of ridiculous to have 3 seniority dates.

I never would have guessed that UPS would have agreed to something like that. I can understand the union agreeing to it.
Nope. He cannot use that seniority date for choosing vacations either.

10 point

Just for bidding?

I am shocked that both sides agreed to that.
That's it. The only thing he can use it for is bidding. It was filed timely. BOFP... One time deal no precedent set.
"BOFP"? Facts were that he was unjustly held back from bidding on a ft position and now that it was proven unjustified he is half pregnant.
Great, isn't it?