I-9 Verification

cmthur

i'm a part timer and i made close to 40,000 last year, not bad for someone who works less hours than high school students.....

cmthur

no, when your birth cert. is printed out, you haven't been issued a so. sec. number. It's not on mine or anyone else in my family.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I went into the HR office at my building with my birth certificate, SS card and drivers license.

She looked at all the paperwork, and told me that I had to go online and enter the information, including my SS#, on some web site.

I dont want to get into some pissing match about whether or not the time should be paid for. I could really care less about 3 minutes. I am way more worried about the security of my personal information going out over the internet. Having ones identity stolen is a major pain in the ass. It is a legitimate concern. I dont need the hassle.

What I need to know is...am I in compliance with Federal law since I did in fact provide the necessary documentation? Who controls the website we are being told to give the info to? And does federal law actually require the info to go onto that particular website, or is this just the method that UPS is choosing to use in order to acheive compliance?

For anyone who is happily filling out their paperwork on their own dime, and turning their anger on fellow Teamsters who have reservations about doing the same, I have a request for you: ************************************************************************************************************************************************************* Just do it. Its only...what...30 seconds of your time, right? Nevermind your rights, time, obligations, the legality, the necessity, whether or not its required by Federal law for continued employment, etc. Just do it. Right?

....Wrong

At our Sort, we do not take a break until 3 hours into our shift. This is perfectly fine under the Contract, and even under Federal law. Under State Law, it is prohibited, and State law supersedes the Contract. It is only tolerated because we choose to tolerate it. The same goes for not having an immediate lunch period commencing no later than the end of the 5th hour, as is also mandated by state law. Some employees work 12 hours or more and choose to not take a lunch....their choice.

This is not a matter of just doing it. As many people have brought up, there are multiple issues at hand. Most of us on this forum are natural-born citizens, but others are not--and requiring them to re-verify can (and perhaps will) be construed as discrimnation. UPS is not interested in obtaining and re-verifying the information of US Citizens; they are interested in purging their ranks of whatever illegal aliens they can find, which is not in and of itself a bad thing. But the way they are going about it is corny.

Employers are required to keep I-9 information on file for all current employees; therefore, they are required to still have my information on file. If they do not, I will be reporting them for being in violation, and they will be subject to a fine in upwards of $1,100 (retaliating against me for doing so could subject them to an even higher fine), which is a lot more than the few dollars it would cost to pay me to complete the forms on the clock.....which I may or may not do, pending further investigation of...

GET THIS..... (self-righteous Supervisors, I'm going to need your attention here) ...

........ FEDERAL AND STATE LAW.

Not "the Contract".
Not some UPS-prepared forms.
Not some website's interpretation of the law.
The law itself.

To be continued....

Oh, and for any out there interested: I absolutely love flame/forum wars. I have a Bachelors degree, speak/study multiple foreign languages, linguistics, economics, type 100wpm, IRC, etc. In short...I will embarrass you and make you afraid to post, should you decide to cross me. I will be on you. Me and you will be like best friends, but in a way that e-emasculates you. But don't let it stop you. Try me.

Just be forewarned that any route you take...for example, me working at UPS Part-Time despite having a Bachelor's degree...that falls apart after I point out PhD-holding High School teachers, who could be making twice as much to work at a University. Money is not the object here. Neither is time--like the 5 minutes to obtain documents and fill out an online form, vs. multiple hours to research whether or not i am required by federal and state law to do so. What matters most is being Right.

Come get you some :wink2:

Last edited by a moderator:

UPSSOCKS

Oh, and for any out there interested: I absolutely love flame/forum wars. I have a Bachelors degree, speak/study multiple foreign languages, linguistics, economics, type 100wpm, IRC, etc. In short...I will embarrass you and make you afraid to post, should you decide to cross me. I will be on you. Me and you will be like best friends, but in a way that e-emasculates you. But don't let it stop you. Try me.

Just be forewarned that any route you take...for example, me working at UPS Part-Time despite having a Bachelor's degree...that falls apart after I point out PhD-holding High School teachers, who could be making twice as much to work at a University. Money is not the object here. Neither is time--like the 5 minutes to obtain documents and fill out an online form, vs. multiple hours to research whether or not i am required by federal and state law to do so. What matters most is being Right.
:wink2:

How can any pass this up.... Without saying loser....

UPSSOCKS

For anyone who is happily filling out their paperwork on their own dime, and turning their anger on fellow Teamsters who have reservations about doing the same, I have a request for you: ************************************************************************************************************** Just do it. Its only...what...30 seconds of your time, right? Nevermind your rights, time, obligations, the legality, the necessity, whether or not its required by Federal law for continued employment, etc. Just do it. Right?

....Wrong

At our Sort, we do not take a break until 3 hours into our shift. This is perfectly fine under the Contract, and even under Federal law. Under State Law, it is prohibited, and State law supersedes the Contract. It is only tolerated because we choose to tolerate it. The same goes for not having an immediate lunch period commencing no later than the end of the 5th hour, as is also mandated by state law. Some employees work 12 hours or more and choose to not take a lunch....their choice.

This is not a matter of just doing it. As many people have brought up, there are multiple issues at hand. Most of us on this forum are natural-born citizens, but others are not--and requiring them to re-verify can (and perhaps will) be construed as discrimnation. UPS is not interested in obtaining and re-verifying the information of US Citizens; they are interested in purging their ranks of whatever illegal aliens they can find, which is not in and of itself a bad thing. But the way they are going about it is corny.

Employers are required to keep I-9 information on file for all current employees; therefore, they are required to still have my information on file. If they do not, I will be reporting them for being in violation, and they will be subject to a fine in upwards of $1,100 (retaliating against me for doing so could subject them to an even higher fine), which is a lot more than the few dollars it would cost to pay me to complete the forms on the clock.....which I may or may not do, pending further investigation of...

GET THIS..... (self-righteous Supervisors, I'm going to need your attention here) ...

........ FEDERAL AND STATE LAW.

Not "the Contract".
Not some UPS-prepared forms.
Not some website's interpretation of the law.
The law itself.

To be continued....

Come get you some :wink2:

Don't do the I-9........ It's your choice.... No one is making you do it....

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't do the I-9........ It's your choice.... No one is making you do it....

As I said in the other thread--I will complete a Paper I-9, and I will be paid for it. The 3rd party I-9, out of pocket, is not happening.
No means no, and the law is on my side.

And why would you want to call your new best friend a Loser? That isn't very nice. Me and you should be talking about race cars, and our favorite flavor of Ice Cream. Friends shouldn't be at each others throats. Let's make it right! UPSSOCKS is articulate, and bright.....and clean. ---- Your turn?

Scooter1

I would suggest all union members comply with the I-9 requirements. Review the Homeland Security and Immigration sites. They will allow companies to terminate employees who are not in compliance. I work the midnight shift and UPS has HR personel available during these work hours to check off your documents. Protect your job. If you have to do this on your own time, do it then if you believe you should be paid for this time, file a grievance.

There are couple of people in my hub that are resisting to comply, so we will soon find out what happens.

over9five

Staff member
I talked to an HR person here who said most of the problems they are having is women who didn't change their name with SS when they got married, and people who came into the country in "weird ways".

Dustyroads

That's gotta be some oversight. There is going to be a huge rush to make the deadline with your building when they realize they forgot you!!!!

I mean, there's been no mention of it whatsoever. Perhaps there's less of a threat out here in the flatlands. I'm just curious when that "deadline" is.