I apparently keep getting misloads?

Ant12

I'm a loader and I've been working at ups for about 7 months now. Out of the blue i keep getting a lot of misloads. I end up needing to sign them off everytime I get one. I have smartscanning at my hub so it's easy not to get a misload, and I make sure I don't. I walk every misload out of my truck and make sure it doesn't get loaded, but I'm sure some dumb sup at the end of the night throws it in without a thought. I had 2 full time sups tell me to watch out for my misloads today and I don't know what to do differently because I'm already getting all the misloads out of my truck....it's just annoying because I genuinely take every misload out of my truck but I still end up getting them. Also, one of my coworkers saw a sheet I had to sign for a misload and he told me not to sign it because he said the misload happened at 10:30 when he knows I left at 9:50 that day. So it makes no sense?!? I'm starting to think someone is seriously out there to get me

UPSjacks84

No one is out to get you but there are a few way to get misloads. One, if you see a double labeled box and you accidently scan the bad label and then realize the good label and scan it and load it they will count that as a misload for scanning the bad label. If you scan a bag, and I know this is annoying and with heavy flow really hard to do, but try to check the bag for bad boxes because that can get you a misload. When you see that a box was mispicked into your load and the intended load for the box is on your belt try to walk it over and put in in the load because once someone else loads the box then you're good. Hope this helps.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Doesn't sound like your smart scanning system is all that smart. If you scan a package that doesn't belong, make sure you remove it from the scanner. Other than that, make sure you document when you clock in and out and make sure you log out of your own scanner when you leave. Hope you get it together.

Seahawks17

If they ask you to sign a paper or anything, you don't have to actually. Just write RTS, which means Refuse To Sign. I RTS everything I'm asked to sign. Signing the sheet they're asking you to sign is like admitting guilt, don't do it!

Sent using BrownCafe App

upschuck

Evidently, if you left at 9:50, and scanned misload is 10:30, then you are not responsible for anything that is in that scanner. New Language says
Employees will not be responsible for any work performed by another employee using any electronic device under their name.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
If they ask you to sign a paper or anything, you don't have to actually. Just write RTS, which means Refuse To Sign. I RTS everything I'm asked to sign. Signing the sheet they're asking you to sign is like admitting guilt, don't do it!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Absolutely incorrect. Your signature/initials only confirm that you acknowledge the document/write-up is going into your employee record, not that you're admitting guilt. In this case, "RTS" serves the same purpose. You can be fired for insubordination for refusing to sign a write-up; you're only allowed to refuse to sign an extra contract agreement (ie. a form changing your working conditions that was not negotiated by the union) and documents pertaining to a fair day's work for a fair day's pay (ie. a document that states you understand you must load at 500 pieces per hour) but not a write up form.

oldngray

nowhere special
Absolutely incorrect. Your signature/initials only confirm that you acknowledge the document/write-up is going into your employee record, not that you're admitting guilt. In this case, "RTS" serves the same purpose. You can be fired for insubordination for refusing to sign a write-up; you're only allowed to refuse to sign an extra contract agreement (ie. a form changing your working conditions that was not negotiated by the union) and documents pertaining to a fair day's work for a fair day's pay (ie. a document that states you understand you must load at 500 pieces per hour) but not a write up form.

Usually RTS would be for the frequent BS reports/audits UPS does on job performance or some new training paperwork so pertain to issues not in the contract.

I'm a loader and I've been working at ups for about 7 months now. Out of the blue i keep getting a lot of misloads. I end up needing to sign them off everytime I get one. I have smartscanning at my hub so it's easy not to get a misload, and I make sure I don't. I walk every misload out of my truck and make sure it doesn't get loaded, but I'm sure some dumb sup at the end of the night throws it in without a thought. I had 2 full time sups tell me to watch out for my misloads today and I don't know what to do differently because I'm already getting all the misloads out of my truck....it's just annoying because I genuinely take every misload out of my truck but I still end up getting them. Also, one of my coworkers saw a sheet I had to sign for a misload and he told me not to sign it because he said the misload happened at 10:30 when he knows I left at 9:50 that day. So it makes no sense?!? I'm starting to think someone is seriously out there to get me
What is smart scanning?

UPSGUY72

Next time they pull you aside and want you to sign something use your Weingarten Rights and ask that a shop steward be present before your do anything....

BrownTexas

You are not required to sign anything unless the it involves the law. Such as a driving record request at the beginning of the year. They can not fire you for not signing a write up. I never sign anything including the stupid safety handouts they tell you to sign during PCM. Nor do any of my Union Stewart's. Know your information before you try to scare people into doing things they don't have to.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
You are not required to sign anything unless the it involves the law. Such as a driving record request at the beginning of the year. They can not fire you for not signing a write up. I never sign anything including the stupid safety handouts they tell you to sign during PCM. Nor do any of my Union Stewart's. Know your information before you try to scare people into doing things they don't have to.

I've personally seen members go to panel and lose their jobs over refusing not to sign a writeup.
Safety PCMs are entirely different.

I'm sure your union steward would tell you -- at the end of the day -- all your signature does is state you acknowledge the item is going into your employee record; the same as when a manager signs a grievance. Telling someone they don't have to sign a write-up is terrible advice with (at best) the same results or potentially worse if the company pushes it.

For example: a hub employee is at a local level hearing for poor attendance and is on a working termination. On every write-up he has for attendance, he wrote "RTS." Do you think a labor manager is going to look at "RTS" and go, "Hot damn, he refused to sign. I guess he has a point here. I'm going to pull his termination!"?

Pick your battles. Refusing to sign write-ups is an awful dumb fight to start.

BrownTexas

I've personally seen members go to panel and lose their jobs over refusing not to sign a writeup.
Safety PCMs are entirely different.

I'm sure your union steward would tell you -- at the end of the day -- all your signature does is state you acknowledge the item is going into your employee record; the same as when a manager signs a grievance. Telling someone they don't have to sign a write-up is terrible advice with (at best) the same results or potentially worse if the company pushes it.

For example: a hub employee is at a local level hearing for poor attendance and is on a working termination. On every write-up he has for attendance, he wrote "RTS." Do you think a labor manager is going to look at "RTS" and go, "Hot damn, he refused to sign. I guess he has a point here. I'm going to pull his termination!"?

Pick your battles. Refusing to sign write-ups is an awful dumb fight to start.
I'm not signing anything... And I protest everything. Simple as that. It states in the contract the steps of discipline "up to and including termination" starting with a verbal warning. Every time I am wrote up they could have just given me a verbal. They don't ever have to write anyone up. Where in the contract does it say I have to sign write ups for any reason?

Seahawks17

I personally know one of my fellow co-workers who's been there for 15 years and he RTS's everything. He's never gotten in trouble for it. We aren't required to sign any extra documents that management tries to shove at us.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Even if you remove it from the trailer, if it does not get rescanned into the proper trailer, you name is still attached. To keep this from happening not only do you need to remove it from the trailer, but you need to remove it from your scanner. If you have the smart scanning system, when you get the pop up that says misload and what active uld it goes to hit escape twice until you are at the app menu. After that go to option 4 for package inquiry, scan it and hit enter then F4 to remove if from both the scanner and from under you name. It will ask you if you are certain to so so, hit enter for yes. Once done hit escape again to go to the app menu then 2 for package scan to continue loading.

upschuck

Even if you remove it from the trailer, if it does not get rescanned into the proper trailer, you name is still attached. To keep this from happening not only do you need to remove it from the trailer, but you need to remove it from your scanner. If you have the smart scanning system, when you get the pop up that says misload and what active uld it goes to hit escape twice until you are at the app menu. After that go to option 4 for package inquiry, scan it and hit enter then F4 to remove if from both the scanner and from under you name. It will ask you if you are certain to so so, hit enter for yes. Once done hit escape again to go to the app menu then 2 for package scan to continue loading.
If it were that smart, you think after it prompted you all you would have to do is hit one button to remove the package, and confirmation at most.

Seahawks17

These damn smart scanners are making all the new hires so dumb. None of them no where any package goes on their own PD, let alone the rest of the hub. I wonder what UPS will do when all the high seniority people quit or retire and none of the new people know where any packages go in the building

Sent using BrownCafe App