I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
in 2011 the top 1% had 40% of the wealth

now 3 guys have 50% of the wealth of america.

worst inequality in US history. very bad for democracy. could be why youre about to lose it.

60% of americans living paycheck to paycheck. this is the future, it should be the opposite.
Your stats are ridiculously wrong.

Please back them up with sources, or retract them.

Thebrownblob

Your stats are ridiculously wrong.

Please back them up with sources, or retract them.
Like most things, Ricky does not understand how to read statistics. He gets some of them right, and twists the other ones. he left out an important part, they are richer than the bottom 50%.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Like most things, Ricky does not understand how to read statistics. He gets some of them right, and twists the other ones. he left out an important part, they are richer than the bottom 50%.

So if you have no debt and a five dollar bill in your pocket, you have more wealth than the bottom 20% of the country combined.

Maybe this country has a borrowing problem, and not a rich person problem.

Thebrownblob

So if you have no debt and a five dollar bill in your pocket, you have more wealth than the bottom 20% of the country combined.

You are correct, and If they wouldn’t borrow so much, they wouldn’t be many of these rich people.

rickyb

it has a debt problem.

over 5000 years debts expand faster than an economy's ability to repay.

rickyb

You said three have 50% of the wealth. Not so. As Brownblob pointed out, they have more wealth than 64% of the American population. That's not the same as 50% of ALL wealth. Get back to us when your understanding improves.
more than the poorest 50% of america. so half of 330 million.

vantexan

more than the poorest 50% of america. so half of 330 million.
That doesn't mean they have half of ALL wealth. There are still a lot of billionaires and millionaires and people with money in their 401k's and equity in their homes. And even in that lowest 64% people have jobs, homes, cars, cellphones. They aren't starving. They may have more credit card debt than money in a savings account. Not everyone is impoverished. You just want to attack capitalism because everyone doesn't have equal outcomes.

rickyb

That doesn't mean they have half of ALL wealth. There are still a lot of billionaires and millionaires and people with money in their 401k's and equity in their homes. And even in that lowest 64% people have jobs, homes, cars, cellphones. They aren't starving. They may have more credit card debt than money in a savings account. Not everyone is impoverished. You just want to attack capitalism because everyone doesn't have equal outcomes.
you admitted on another thread theres alot of people living paycheck to paycheck.

rickyb

Ricky do you know what the difference between the median and the mean is?
sanders says you have the worst inequality in american history.

yea i think median income is a better measure than average income bc 1 rich :censored2: can throw off the reality in the case of averages.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
sanders says you have the worst inequality in american history.

yea i think median income is a better measure than average income bc 1 rich :censored2: can throw off the reality in the case of averages.
You confused the two. It’s fine.

But they are not the same thing.

vantexan

you admitted on another thread theres alot of people living paycheck to paycheck.
And that doesn't change what I just said. There are people living paycheck to paycheck on $100k annual salaries. We are all adults making choices. Our choices determine our outcomes. As well as the choices others make that affect us. You need to get over this idea that you can have everything equal. Won't happen. Never has, never will.

rickyb

And that doesn't change what I just said. There are people living paycheck to paycheck on $100k annual salaries. We are all adults making choices. Our choices determine our outcomes. As well as the choices others make that affect us. You need to get over this idea that you can have everything equal. Won't happen. Never has, never will.
i think when bernie mentioned 60% he was referring to near poverty and below.

you keep talking about everything being equal not me.