If You Can Make it There....

vantexan

...you can make it anywhere. Ever hear of Paraguay? Not touting it as some amazing place but quite a few Americans and others are moving there. It's a very freedom oriented culture but not an anything goes culture. It has its issues like every place but if you look at this video you can see that if you have limited income you can go to even 3rd world countries and have a decent life. Paraguay has invested in internet infrastructure. Possible to get high speed fiber optic internet there. What that means is you can go to a place like this and stay connected to friends and family. Can have tv and Netflix in English. You can have a normal life there, and a safe life, for a lot less. And across the river in Argentina I've discovered a nice city of about 400,000 called Posadas. Has very good shopping, movie multiplex theaters including an IMAX theater. So what's the catch? Very hot weather. Long summers with mid-90's to low 100's with humidity every day. But they have cheap hydropower so can run your air conditioner 24/7. Winters are Florida mild.

There are a lot of options worldwide thankfully. And if your retirement income only goes so far in the States you can more than double your spending power elsewhere. You can proudly stay poor in the States, being loyal to the powers that be who weren't loyal to you, or you can choose to love the U.S. from afar. Your life, your choice.

rod

Retired 22 years
...you can make it anywhere. Ever hear of Paraguay? Not touting it as some amazing place but quite a few Americans and others are moving there. It's a very freedom oriented culture but not an anything goes culture. It has its issues like every place but if you look at this video you can see that if you have limited income you can go to even 3rd world countries and have a decent life. Paraguay has invested in internet infrastructure. Possible to get high speed fiber optic internet there. What that means is you can go to a place like this and stay connected to friends and family. Can have tv and Netflix in English. You can have a normal life there, and a safe life, for a lot less. And across the river in Argentina I've discovered a nice city of about 400,000 called Posadas. Has very good shopping, movie multiplex theaters including an IMAX theater. So what's the catch? Very hot weather. Long summers with mid-90's to low 100's with humidity every day. But they have cheap hydropower so can run your air conditioner 24/7. Winters are Florida mild.

There are a lot of options worldwide thankfully. And if your retirement income only goes so far in the States you can more than double your spending power elsewhere. You can proudly stay poor in the States, being loyal to the powers that be who weren't loyal to you, or you can choose to love the U.S. from afar. Your life, your choice.

As soon as he mentioned "blood sausage" I gave up.

vantexan

As soon as he mentioned "blood sausage" I gave up.
No one says you have to eat it lol. Paraguay has a lot of German heritage including a lot of recent arrivals who are dissatisfied with the direction Germany has gone. So there are German products in supermarkets as well as German restaurants. Quite a few other European countries represented there too.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
If I were to move to another country it would be Argentina. Viva la libertad carajo!

oldngray

nowhere special
If I were to move to another country it would be Argentina. Viva la libertad carajo!
Three Amigos Uh.gif

Box Ox

What are your top couple countries so far?

vantexan

What are your top couple countries so far?
From the ones I've been to I'd have to say Argentina and Georgia. Maybe Albania. If you don't mind heat there's a very popular small city outside the huge Angkor Wat temple complex called Siem Reap in Cambodia. Decent apartments can be had for $200 a month there. They have over 900 restaurants listed on Trip Advisor with every kind of cuisine possible. Can eat expensive or get a decent meal for $2. But electricity will cost more than your rent and much of the year it's over 100° Fahrenheit. There are great places all over Latin America. Some with year round spring like weather. Overall the infrastructure is better in the developed world but many countries have pockets of prosperity where you can live well for much less. In Paraguay you can buy a house with land for less than $50k and use Starlink satellite internet if the fiber optic isn't in the area. I just know that I worked decades for a pension that has no cola and in the last two or so years have lost 20%+ of my purchasing power. That city Posadas I mentioned? The website Expatistan shows it as 84% cheaper than Orlando. It's safe, affordable, with a decent lifestyle. If one can live well in the U.S. in retirement that's great. I can't, bet I'd get by well in Posadas.

Box Ox

From the ones I've been to I'd have to say Argentina and Georgia. Maybe Albania. If you don't mind heat there's a very popular small city outside the huge Angkor Wat temple complex called Siem Reap in Cambodia. Decent apartments can be had for $200 a month there. They have over 900 restaurants listed on Trip Advisor with every kind of cuisine possible. Can eat expensive or get a decent meal for $2. But electricity will cost more than your rent and much of the year it's over 100° Fahrenheit. There are great places all over Latin America. Some with year round spring like weather. Overall the infrastructure is better in the developed world but many countries have pockets of prosperity where you can live well for much less. In Paraguay you can buy a house with land for less than $50k and use Starlink satellite internet if the fiber optic isn't in the area. I just know that I worked decades for a pension that has no cola and in the last two or so years have lost 20%+ of my purchasing power. That city Posadas I mentioned? The website Expatistan shows it as 84% cheaper than Orlando. It's safe, affordable, with a decent lifestyle. If one can live well in the U.S. in retirement that's great. I can't, bet I'd get by well in Posadas.

Sounds like Paraguay has the kind of summer weather I'm used to. Wouldn't want to be anywhere close to Russia.

Think my primary draws would be clean drinking water, decent healthcare and a lot of reasonable people who are far more interested in common sense than politics.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Sounds like Paraguay has the kind of summer weather I'm used to. Wouldn't want to be anywhere close to Russia.

Think my primary draws would be clean drinking water, decent healthcare and a lot of reasonable people who are far more interested in common sense than politics.
Shangri-la

vantexan

Clean drinking water is widely available in Argentina. Paraguay has some issues but bottled water is everywhere. For major surgery those that can either fly to Buenos Aires or to Brazil. I'm on a couple of Paraguay expat groups. Get people on there regular asking if Paraguay has problems with woke culture. A lot of people are looking to get away from all of that. It's a very family oriented culture that respects its institutions including the Church.

Box Ox

Clean drinking water is widely available in Argentina. Paraguay has some issues but bottled water is everywhere. For major surgery those that can either fly to Buenos Aires or to Brazil. I'm on a couple of Paraguay expat groups. Get people on there regular asking if Paraguay has problems with woke culture. A lot of people are looking to get away from all of that. It's a very family oriented culture that respects its institutions including the Church.

Sounds pretty nice. Might not be a bad idea to become fluent in Spanish in case things get worse up here.

Box Ox

zurich switzerland looks cheap. 1500 fr / 1 br outside the city

"You would need around 8,468.5$ (7,675.3Fr.) in Zurich to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 6,431.4$(8,800.0C$) in Vancouver (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare the cost of living and assume net earnings (after income tax)."

" The cost of living in Vancouver is 24% less expensive than in Zurich."

rickyb

"You would need around 8,468.5$ (7,675.3Fr.) in Zurich to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 6,431.4$(8,800.0C$) in Vancouver (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare the cost of living and assume net earnings (after income tax)."

" The cost of living in Vancouver is 24% less expensive than in Zurich."
the wages are almost double in zurich but a 1 br is the same price outside the city

rickyb

Like you'd actually live in some barrel outside of the city when you've been used to living high on the hog in Canada.
i only usually only ever look at wages and cost of buying on this website which in this case is not good, but whats interesting is why renting is so cheap in zurich.

Box Ox

i only usually only ever look at wages and cost of buying on this website which in this case is not good, but whats interesting is why renting is so cheap in zurich.

Maybe you're looking at an Arab immigrant neighborhood. Good luck with that.