Ignored while trying to get sig.

bigbrownhen

I can't say I ever "Turned and Burned". It never occured to me to do so. It is annoying though with nda to have to wait. I know which customers are time consuming where a certain person has to sign, so I'll save them for last if possible. I treat my customers really well, and I am treated likewise by most of them. Everyone has to deal with jerks from time to time, part of life, I just don't go out of my way for those certain few.

Overpaid Union Thug

It's not real hard for someone to grab the stylus (did I spell that right?) and sign their name. Even if they are on the phone. Whether it's a business or pleasure phone call doesn't matter. JUST SIGN! If not I look for someone else and will wait a while if there is anyone else but even I have my limits. I've been known to sheet as "Not Ready" and have even placed an info notice on the desk of the person that ignores me. Yes, we get paid by the hour but that doesn't mean we should stand there forever. Forever for us is only like 30 seconds. Especially if it's during NDA deliveries.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
This one time while entering an office for a signature this one lady was texting a msg and I can tell you she was all thumbs. After waiting a minute (y'all know that feels like five minutes) she said "I have just three more words to go", after she finished the first word, she looked up saw me driving away and info-notice on her desk.

dudebro

What ever happened to good 'ol fashioned driver release? MCMan, MCWoman, FrontDoor......just pick one and get back in the truck. I barely have time for my own shenanigans, tomfoolery and malarky over the course of the day, let alone someone else's.
Mostly we're talking about commercial stops here, and as such, there is DR at a commercial stop. I guess you can get the DIAD to do it, but never mind the big payroll package mentioned above, what about going back to resolve a claim with a company full of people who "never signed" for a package they "never saw".

yeldarb

I have been told to get in line when all I need is a signature, (behind about 3 people). I told her that I would be back in the morning. I wound up feeling bad, and went back later in the day. Now, if they are busy, I will just tell them Ill give em 5 bucks for a signature. They usually chuckle, realise thats all I need, and they will quickly sign.

satellitedriver

I know my customers and they will always stop what they are doing to sign.
When I have to run parts of an other drivers route,
and the customer is "busy", I just get close and stand perfectly still and silent.
A composed UPS person is something they are not use too seeing, and it seems to get their attention.
I never turn and burn.
The only reason I am there is because they are my (yes mine, not UPS's) customer.
I can be having a bad day, but, that is no reason for me to make others have a bad day.

satellitedriver

Announce loudly, eye contact, 15 seconds, turn & go, sheet not ready. Never happens more than once.
You would walk into a funeral home and announce loudly that UPS is here?
(just an example, but it applies to any business)
15 seconds?
Sheet not ready?
(how do you do that, for a pre-paid pkg at a commercial stop requiring a sig?)
True, it would never happen more than once, because I would be fired if I treated customers this way.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Then customer calls in a complaint and Jonny is delivering there first thing in the morning. The customer is always right in our bosses eyes and we are the ones providing the service. Im not saying grab a cup of coffee while you wait for a signature but some of these new drivers are rude and nasty as hell. If you have to piss in a bottle in your truck, I dont expect you to wait an extra 30 seconds for the lady to get off the phone.
You are right, there is a possibility of a customer complaint. And you are also right that there are some drivers that have not learned the proper customer service skills. That is part of the reason why they are waiting so long to get a signature. There is a fine line between force and finesse. Every once in awhile we have to resort to force. This is when you get your OC or center manager involved before the customer complaint.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
And then they can start getting them from Fedex. I'm with 804 on this one, let the customer do their thing while you smile and wait patiently (getting paid by the hour). Once I've been on the route for more than a week or two I generally have them all sweetened up and eating out of my hand anyway. You catch a lot more flies with honey.
Agreed, this is generally the better choice.

Ms Spoken

This one time while entering an office for a signature this one lady was texting a msg and I can tell you she was all thumbs. After waiting a minute (y'all know that feels like five minutes) she said "I have just three more words to go", after she finished the first word, she looked up saw me driving away and info-notice on her desk.

Sorry BB but, I have to say "this one time at band camp" wow I feel better.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The one word to remember here is "reasonable".

I will wait a "reasonable" amount of time, and the definition of "reasonable" will vary from stop to stop according to the nature of the business and the reason for the delay.

It is not "reasonable" to expect me to wait in line, and it is not "reasonable" to expect me to stand there for 5 minutes while the consignee has a personal conversation on the phone.

Every minute I spend standing there is a minute that my other customers are having to wait for their package.

Probably the most difficult delivery to make is to a construction site. No one wants to sign for anything, and the one guy who is "authorized" is up on a ladder someplace and you wind up hiking around in the mud for 10 minutes looking for him. Inevitably I wind up having to sheet a few of these as refused and send them back. I will make an effort the first time to find someone and set up a designated recieving spot with signed notices, but I refuse to wander around a 2 acre constrction site for 10 minutes begging for a signature day after day.

The one word to remember here is "reasonable".

I will wait a "reasonable" amount of time, and the definition of "reasonable" will vary from stop to stop according to the nature of the business and the reason for the delay.

It is not "reasonable" to expect me to wait in line, and it is not "reasonable" to expect me to stand there for 5 minutes while the consignee has a personal conversation on the phone.

Every minute I spend standing there is a minute that my other customers are having to wait for their package.

Probably the most difficult delivery to make is to a construction site. No one wants to sign for anything, and the one guy who is "authorized" is up on a ladder someplace and you wind up hiking around in the mud for 10 minutes looking for him. Inevitably I wind up having to sheet a few of these as refused and send them back. I will make an effort the first time to find someone and set up a designated recieving spot with signed notices, but I refuse to wander around a 2 acre constrction site for 10 minutes begging for a signature day after day.
Boy did you hit a homerun on the construction site idea. That's what I have to do everytime I run cover on a rt with one. I don't know why the regular drivers have not caught on to this method.

porkwagon

Usually at a construction site there is a trailer where the foreman has his office. When you arrive to the site, keep honking your horn all the way till you get to the trailer. Whoever is expecting the shippment will usually come over. If they don't just leave notice on trailer door like any other office delivery. Don't waste time wandering all over being jerked around by the contractors.

porkwagon

sending it back as refused when it really wasn't is very bad form. Dishonest even. If nobody at the trailer or receiving area its a send again.

satellitedriver

Usually at a construction site there is a trailer where the foreman has his office. When you arrive to the site, keep honking your horn all the way till you get to the trailer. Whoever is expecting the shippment will usually come over. If they don't just leave notice on trailer door like any other office delivery. Don't waste time wandering all over being jerked around by the contractors.
The "trailer" is usually a half acre back in the mud. How are they going to hear your horn?
I just tromp around until I find someone that can sign.
My job/career is to deliver pkgs, not make numbers look right back at the center.

MikeTbob

The "trailer" is usually a half acre back in the mud. How are they going to hear your horn?
I just tromp around until I find someone that can sign.
My job/career is to deliver pkgs, not make numbers look right back at the center.

Amen brother, numbers don't mean diddle squat to me. Our is to do or die, not to reason why!

I'm a charmer/abrasive/brash/direct kinda person..I do whatever it takes to get in and get out quickly. Most of my customers know I'm a'coming as soon as I pull into the parking lot or residential, simply because I love my horn and I ain't one bit a'scared to use it....I will make my appearance known immediately upon arrival with the person closest to me, if he/she is on the phone I will not bother him/her at all, I will go find someone else. Now if he/she is just texting/farting around, I will say loudly and proudly "Can you sign for this please?!" (Big SMile)
I'm a swing/cover driver and I get a lot of routes that the normal driver has his customers trained very well, they open the door for you when you need help, sign for things quickly and many of them say, "You be safe out there". I also get a lot or routes that are crap, no one wants to sign for anything, no specified delivery area or if it's ok to leave stuff next door when they are out". I'm slowly getting them trained too :happy2:NI1 works for me, if I spend over 5 minutes trying to get a sig, P#ss on 'em and feed 'em fish heads.