Ignored while trying to get sig.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
sending it back as refused when it really wasn't is very bad form. Dishonest even. If nobody at the trailer or receiving area its a send again.

Often times there is no trailer or recieving area, and if I spend 10 minutes begging for a signature and keep getting rejected, then it is in fact being refused.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The one word to remember here is "reasonable".

I will wait a "reasonable" amount of time, and the definition of "reasonable" will vary from stop to stop according to the nature of the business and the reason for the delay.

It is not "reasonable" to expect me to wait in line, and it is not "reasonable" to expect me to stand there for 5 minutes while the consignee has a personal conversation on the phone.

Every minute I spend standing there is a minute that my other customers are having to wait for their package.

Probably the most difficult delivery to make is to a construction site. No one wants to sign for anything, and the one guy who is "authorized" is up on a ladder someplace and you wind up hiking around in the mud for 10 minutes looking for him. Inevitably I wind up having to sheet a few of these as refused and send them back. I will make an effort the first time to find someone and set up a designated recieving spot with signed notices, but I refuse to wander around a 2 acre constrction site for 10 minutes begging for a signature day after day.
Ah, construction sites. Reminds of .......... yesterday. Had an EAM and both the guys in the office refused to sign for it. Ok, no problem, I'll bring it back tomorrow.

As for wandering around a site looking for someone to sign, ain't gonna happen on a cold day in hell. I go to the office, if there is no one there then it is NI1. The minute a construction boss even thinks of giving me a hard time about it I will politely say, I will have to report the OSHA violations.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
If you are polite in the face of an unusual and rare delay most will remember it and be nice on repeat days, but if you are rude in a situation that is not a regular delay most customers will punish you for a long time to get even. We have a post office that got fed up and made the reg driver stand in line at the front counter every day. I get jumpy just like everyone else here when i get held up, but you have to develop a sense of common sense with that urgency.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If you are polite in the face of an unusual and rare delay most will remember it and be nice on repeat days, but if you are rude in a situation that is not a regular delay most customers will punish you for a long time to get even. We have a post office that got fed up and made the reg driver stand in line at the front counter every day. I get jumpy just like everyone else here when i get held up, but you have to develop a sense of common sense with that urgency.
The post office made the driver wait in the line? Does the driver deliver to the front?

This is a situtaion that I would be bringing to my mgt team. All of our post office deliveries go to the back door here.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I always go to the back too, and never have a problem with any delay that may come up. I just know this situation has happened (remember back before BASIC was a service and we had the odd few pkgs a year for the PO and we never went to the back then) to one unlucky, probably rushed and impatient driver. I am on first name terms with all my customers possible, PO included, and this is my most helpful tool in dealing with challenges, just being courteous. Sometimes I get held up, but mostly not. Mgmt team can never solve this kind of issue better than driver to customer can, unless there is a total breakdown in communication. And if they fix it in that situation, the driver will still have to cultivate the relationship or it will only be a temporary solution, imho.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Those EAM packages? somebody paid a fortune to get them there early.

My PERSONAL opinion is to do whatever is necessary to get the signature - this is a customer service business.

CORPORATE opinion, however, contradicts this. In our center at least, Turn & Burn is encouraged. 15 seconds after eye contact you bolt if you have no signature.

Wait in line? Even I would agree with the turn & burn there.

When I was being trained, the ********** sup I was with (*********) actually complained to the customers when they asked us to dolly the boxes of copy paper into the storage room. I cringed.

I guess my point is this - I don't care, I'm paid by the hour, and I don't mind helping if I can. Our center makes it very clear - they sign right away or you keep walking.

Last edited by a moderator:

disneyworld

Sence of urgency? damn you sound just like a supervisor. People do not have to stop what they are doing just so you can run off a few more stops. You have to deal with these people everyday, try to be understanding. One poster said that the customer was on the phone and it wasnt work related, lol lol. Piss the customer off and he will have your ass waiting everyday, not just when he is busy. Most UPSers come off rude when they are in a rush, just ask your oms about the concerns.
It might piss them off but it sure as hell gets them to sign quickly the next time!!

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Ah, construction sites. Reminds of .......... yesterday. Had an EAM and both the guys in the office refused to sign for it. Ok, no problem, I'll bring it back tomorrow.

I used to make sure the on road sup's knew when I'd see signs of a new construction site on my area. One of them was always willing to go out and do the leg work getting the general contractor's name & cell #. He'd get a signature on file and usually a sales lead too. The sup told his story of getting stuck in the mud at a construction site to every new driver. When we went on PAS the information for that stop was listed in CPad so no matter who delivered they had the information.

As for wandering around a site looking for someone to sign, ain't gonna happen on a cold day in hell. I go to the office, if there is no one there then it is NI1. The minute a construction boss even thinks of giving me a hard time about it I will politely say, I will have to report the OSHA violations.

I found out that the bigger construction jobs usually had daily meeting of the different trades at a set time every day so I tried to time my deliveries just before the meeting. I could get a signature for the different companies and usually dump the small pkg deliveries right there.

over9five

Staff member
Has anyone considered the liability (and the danger) of walking around a construction site? Have you been supplied with a hardhat and safety glasses?

Me thinks you have an obligation to yourself, your family, and your company NOT to walk around a construction site.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The post office made the driver wait in the line? Does the driver deliver to the front?

This is a situtaion that I would be bringing to my mgt team. All of our post office deliveries go to the back door here.

Dilli, it sounds as though the driver in this situation brought it upon himself.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Has anyone considered the liability (and the danger) of walking around a construction site? Have you been supplied with a hardhat and safety glasses?

Me thinks you have an obligation to yourself, your family, and your company NOT to walk around a construction site.

Thats the excuse I use when they tell me I need to take that box of bolts for a hike to the "authorized receiver" who is 1/4 of a mile away up on a ladder someplace. I'm here, you are here, the package is here, so SIGN here....or I will just send it back as "refused" and be on my merry way.:wink2:

satellitedriver

I guess my point is this - I don't care,
This is obvious
I'm paid by the hour, and I don't mind helping if I can.
Helping yourself over the customers needs. Ok, you get paid and the customer still does not get their pkgs.
Our center makes it very clear - they sign right away or you keep walking,
I can not believe this concept, from a service company.
My center manager would fire me for doing that.

City Driver

when i was still driving everyday i had a 400 lb security guard on my route who was eating every single time i came to his window

he was a nice enough guy but a slow mover...we actually found out we went to high school together but i dont remember him, he said he was 185 lbs when he graduated

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I like the people that start sending stuff to a construction site when it is still an empty field. If I can't get rid of stuff at a site I bring it back to the clerk and she can call someone. I won't send anything as refused unless a live person says to me I want that refused. I don't think not ready is an option on non-COD pkgs. See new thread. Delivering to Construction sites.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Originally Posted by Livin the Dream?
I guess my point is this - I don't care,
This is obvious

I mis-stated, and you completely misread what I meant. I should have said I don't mind standing around waiting for them to sign. I meant that I don't care waiting around at all, as I am paid by the hour

I'm paid by the hour, and I don't mind helping if I can.
Helping yourself over the customers needs. Ok, you get paid and the customer still does not get their pkgs.

See Above - You misunderstood

Our center makes it very clear - they sign right away or you keep walking,
I can not believe this concept, from a service company.
My center manager would fire me for doing that.

Our center manager threatens to fire us if we don't.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!

very funny ovah,,i just got the copyright Im' thinking of selling a T shirt with that and ''I'm the luckiest girl in New England'' also!! Forget 40 yrs & out,, I'll be out by peak lol lol

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
""Take control of the delivery"" any one ever hear of this?? Its part of the methods!!! Some of you people are un real!! You mean to tell us you don't feel like a dope standing there for 5 mins waiting for some self centered jerk to get of the phone!! It 's probaly a power trip for them!! Had a lady who wouldn't sign yrs ago recp out & went into her office,played waiting game. Finally got cleaning lady to sign. She calls UPS and says I was listening in on her ohone convo & wants me fired lol I had next day off & when I came back her boss apologized & said she is a :censored2: & to come see him from know on!! Point is there are tons of I'm so important people like her out there !! Don't let them make you look like a dope!! When I saw her again I asked her how the cleaning lady had more clout at the firm than her!! Her boss laughed his ass off when I told him that. lol lol lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I like the people that start sending stuff to a construction site when it is still an empty field. If I can't get rid of stuff at a site I bring it back to the clerk and she can call someone. I won't send anything as refused unless a live person says to me I want that refused. I don't think not ready is an option on non-COD pkgs. See new thread. Delivering to Construction sites.

Future works really well in that instance.