I'm putting Eve down tomorrow.

moreluck

golden ticket member
So sorry ! I have been through it twice with my Schnauzers. I remember thinking....."I wish it could be that peaceful for all of us when we face the end."

Remember the good times!!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

UPS Lifer

Your pain is my pain, your sorrow is my sorrow. But, we are fortunate that Our Divine Creator has made us in a way that our pain and sorrow will dull as we move forward and our memories of better times will put a smile on our face. Your beautiful soul, Eve is looking down upon you and embracing you and thanking you for being part of her life. God Bless You!

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm not a dog person, but I have been where you're at with cats many times. I keep each of them in my heart. It is never easy, the harder ones are when you have to put an end to the suffering, the hardest for me was holding one as the injection was done. Our animal friends are special to us, and we must do what must be done at times no matter how much it hurts us. I would much rather carry the burden of ending the suffering than to be selfish and end up causing my little friends and family members more pain than they are even close to deserving.

We care for our pets, we will not forget them, and we will inevitably do the same for the next one that comes along. I don't regret it. I'm sorry for your loss 407. Keep Eves memory alive, even if it's just within your own heart.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Pets, does not matter, what kind. They are our soul. I had to have my 2nd pony put down when I was 12, I still tear up. I didnt go to school for a week. But then we say never again, and after the initial loss, there we go looking for another. I feel it is kind of like a phenomenon, I think we get messages from our pets gone to the bridge. Rescue another, like you rescued me. You need one to care for you as I did. And another one needs you as I did. It is the only living thing that never lets you down. Guaranteed. Even when they eat shoes, gps, phones, make messes of your house, their is no replacement for unconditional love. For now its just a painful thought. When the time is right, one will follow you home, just like Eve did.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Four-Feet

I have done mostly what most men do,
And pushed it out of my mind;
But I can't forget, if I wanted to,
Four-Feet trotting behind.

Day after day, the whole day through --
Wherever my road inclined --
Four-feet said, "I am coming with you!"
And trotted along behind.

Now I must go by some other round, --
Which I shall never find --
Somewhere that does not carry the sound
Of Four-Feet trotting behind.

Rudyard Kipling

W

want to retire

Oh yea. The story of eve has a Ups twist. On 12/14/99 I as a swing driver. In a ghetto section I threw a package onto a pourch. It starteled a dog(Evette). I knocked on the door and the lady answered. I said is this your dog? She said its a stray who we have been feeding. We gave her this box and we have been feeding her but we aaren't letting her in this house. This was at aboutm1130am. I thought about it all day and I went back at about 9:10 that night and asked if I could have the dog. They said yes and I went to pick her up. I said you might bite me and I'll take my chances but you are coming home with me. She road with me in my 98 ford ranger 40 minutes home and I brought her home to my wife. She said what did you do you are crazy and the next morning she took the amaceated dog to the vet. Since then we lived happily ever after.

My UPS dog story.......There was a dog in an industrial area that stayed (as a stray) under a trailer. The customers said yea she's been there awhile and we sometimes feed her. Well, I'm a sucker and can't watch anything starve to death.......So I started giving her my lunch(usually a sandwhich)......I then would come on the weekends and feed her dog food and some soup bones(a buck at the grocery store)......well , she would come a little closer every day until I petted her.......she loved it......she would come running to get fed and since I went by there about 10 am I had to hurry..........well, one Sat. I had a trailer on my personal vehicle and she jumped on the trailer like it was something she always did....I said "let's go home..."...........She lived with us for about 10 years until she had a stroke and I had to put her down.......I cried for two days.........So, my sincere condolences.

My UPS dog story.......There was a dog in an industrial area that stayed (as a stray) under a trailer. The customers said yea she's been there awhile and we sometimes feed her. Well, I'm a sucker and can't watch anything starve to death.......So I started giving her my lunch(usually a sandwhich)......I then would come on the weekends and feed her dog food and some soup bones(a buck at the grocery store)......well , she would come a little closer every day until I petted her.......she loved it......she would come running to get fed and since I went by there about 10 am I had to hurry..........well, one Sat. I had a trailer on my personal vehicle and she jumped on the trailer like it was something she always did....I said "let's go home..."...........She lived with us for about 10 years until she had a stroke and I had to put her down.......I cried for two days.........So, my sincere condolences.
Thankyou for this story from your life brother it touched my soul. Really. I'm a rescuer I've got 5 rescues under my roof. I feel better after hearing your post. Thankyou from the bottom of my (soul) heart. God bless you. Thanks

W

want to retire

Thankyou for this story from your life brother it touched my soul. Really. I'm a rescuer I've got 5 rescues under my roof. I feel better after hearing your post. Thankyou from the bottom of my (soul) heart. God bless you. Thanks

That was SweetPea.....Some day I'll tell you about Betty and Dutchess........all good buddies who only asked to rub their bellies and a good chest scratch(and of course a dog biscuit!)..........loyal without question.......peace.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My dear friend, I am so sorry for the pain you are having to endure. I'd gladly take it off your shoulders, if I could. I am so sorry, 407.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would take a hammer to my balls before I would take the pain of putting down a beloved pet. Been there, done that, cried like a baby.

Putting an animal down when the time has come is an act of courage and compassion. In taking their pain away, you take it into yourself for a time. I see too many pets who are allowed to linger because their owners lack the moral fortitude to do what must be done. I have the upmost respect for anyone who puts their own feelings aside and does what is best for the animal, regardless of how emotionally painful it might be.

Hang in there. The hardest gift of all to give your pet is the gift of a good death. Time will heal the pain.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Hardest thing I had to do In my life and miss her every day. Blood disorder my 120 lb black lab Belgium Shepard had, kept trying and spending whatever we had,even had a neighbor's dog give a blood transfusion until the doctor said she is suffering, I could not say fast enough to put her down as I did not want her to suffer. Best friendliest, protective dog I ever had. Kelty was her name. So I feel for you, I am sorry

soberups

Our elderly cat is on its last legs health wise, and we also have a 17 yr old toy poodle who is doing OK at the moment but has to take siezure meds that pretty much nuke his liver and kidneys over the long term. My wife and I will be facing tough choices about both of these pets in the near future. Not looking forward to it at all.

My wife is taking a shower and I snuck down to have a beer. My best friend would usually follow me down and sit with me with her eyes on me. It's not the same. I guess I'll have to evolve.

A

anonymous6

when we lost our little chihuahua mix after 14 years of heart failure i thought my wife would follow soon after. i took the day off and there must of been something in my voice when i called off because there was no argument as usual.

my wife wailed from 5-10 am continuously and then remained in a kinda shock for days. it broke my heart. he used to tear into my boots and hang on when i told him i had to go to work.

three years have passed. my wife speaks of him everyday and has a picture above the bed. but there is some good. we buried him in the front yard in a flower bed with a heart plaque and pic decoupaged on.

5 weeks later ( after the chi died ) she found a small terrier mix pup on craigslist that has turned out to be a little gift from heaven.

soberups

Christmas Eve is a really lousy day to have to put your pet down.

Our elderly cat started getting really sick yesterday, and by last night she was vomiting uncontrollably and unable to even walk. She is 19 years old, her kidneys have been failing for some time, and in the last couple of months she has gone completely blind. We were up most of the night listening to her wail and doing what we could to make her feel more comfortable, knowing full well what the next day would bring. My wife slept on the floor next to her because we didnt want her to fall off the bed. I of course had to go to work for 11 hours today, so I couldnt be there to support my wife when she took our "Bittybat" in to the vet to be euthanized. RIP Bittybat, you were an awesome kitty and we will miss you!

06BF1461-B535-4EBA-B4D4-AC38214D792A-1036-00000129F768EC0D.jpg

Nimnim

The Nim
I understand your pain Soberups, though I've yet to figure out what hurts worse. Being the person to take the pet to be put down or having obligations that keep you from it. It always hurts to lose a family member, even pets. You have my condolences.