Injured drivers asked to work the Pre-load

Drink Craft Beer

I'm seeing this more and more often. They're usually asked to scan smalls from forever bags as the 3rd scanner (across from another one......usually only 2 scanners in my building)

Today driver was brought in and has a "no lift" restriction and asked to scan a moving belt for the first time. Has trouble keeping up with scanning, many no scans come to Dcap, can't pull bags off the belt, can't do smalls from forever bags cause he can't lift.... etc...etc..

Why bring the driver in to do this when he's on a "no lift" restriction? Totally ruined the normality of the shift.

Cementups

Box Monkey
They may be trying to trap them into doing work and catching them working beyond their restrictions and then they can tell the doctor and comp people's that the employee is full of crap because they saw him/her doing work.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Temporary Alternate Work. (TAW)
Management can use this for up to 30 days. Keeps the injury from becoming an OSHA recordable lost time injury if the employee can return to work within those 30 days.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Workman's comp is tax free. Take a guess...
Workman's comp here in Texas when I was on it paid 818.00, and yes, it was tax free. They offered me TAW, at feeder double rate and guaranteed me 50 hours, since that was my scheduled day. My TAW consisted of sitting in the break room and watching tv. I'll take a little under 2k/week to watch tv and read the paper. And I didn't even have to wear my browns.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They are trying to keep drivers working hurt by doing this. Why report an injury if you know they will make you come in for preload?

You have to be firm with your doctor and let him or her know how hard so called- light duty can be. Have them keep you home.

bbsam

Staff member
From what I understand, work comp is up to rhe business as far as light duty is concerned. That is, a driver is not allowed to choose between TAW and "no lift" work. Is that correct?

They are trying to keep drivers working hurt by doing this. Why report an injury if you know they will make you come in for preload?

You have to be firm with your doctor and let him or her know how hard so called- light duty can be. Have them keep you home.
I also thought TAW had to be during your normal shift?
Atleast it is here.