Interviewing Monday, Tell me the hard truth.

SBTY_Syndrome

Center Managers Hate Me
Wrong.

Worst case, and most likely;
-You work every Saturday 14 hours a day and no days M-friend.
-They will make sure you don't make seniority by letting you go before you have 30 paid days.
-They start working you during the "free period" so you never make seniority.
-You injure yourself (disk injuries are common) because you think you can muscle thorough the job.

Best case, and least likely;
-You have the mental and emotional grit to endure constant harassment and mind games (guys who were emotionally or mentally abused do best)
-You luck into a situation where they need more than just Saturday drivers (who they pretend are full time).
-You manage to avoid cracking a mirror or running over a hose connector etc. for 30 strait work days.

Good luck to you. Use your knowledge of proper movement and lifting so you only end up with broken down joints, and not herniated disks, at retirement.
Retirement for me is 50 years away. Automated drones will be in charge in 10-15 years. And a pension is something baby boomers created and destroyed. Driving is a career that my children will never believe I did. I have an associates in Comp Sci, and maybe I'll get my bachelors (if UPS pays; probs not). But for now, I'll try it out. Last thing I'll be told is that I didn't give it my all, because if my name is attached to it; It'll be my best. And I'll still be in the gym at 6am getting a workout in.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Op: l new drivers are beat down with 12 hour days. Most have no qualms with being laid off a day or two a week. Otherwise you will be working more hours than senior drivers.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Just do everyone knows. I'm 22 and have been a personal trainer for 3 years, while training for 6 years. My avatar does not represent who I am. It's just a funny meme. I do hope to one day pull off a sweater vest though.
Are you tired of all the "is that you in your avatar" questions yet. Change it dude

P

pickup

If hired, I'd be one of the first new guys. I'd expect they wouldn't hire new people if they had no demand for them. Worst case senairo, I work 3 days a week (Thursday-Saturday) during the summer months. Then kill it September-January.

And in what state of the union will you be plying your craft , may I ask?

twoweeled

Newbie here.

As the title suggests, I am interviewing for a FT (Temp 2018) Package Delivery Driver off the street.

From what I have gathered by reading past threads, it is a very select few that actually get chosen. I applied on a whim and from what I have read, delivery seems like a good job and very sought after. But I am afraid of a bait and switch. Bring me in for delivery and sell me on loading stating I have to "work my way up".
Now I am a very hard worker, I workout 5 days a week and have been a fitness trainer and a gymnastics instructor. So physical and mental endurance is something I can handle. But I've also heard a lot of horror stories.

What are the odds that I can get the job off the street? (a pretty populated area not rural)
If I do have to work my way up, will I really have to wait years to get a driving position? and is it worth it?
If I don't get a drivers position, would it be better to get my CDL and reapply rather than taking loading and waiting?

(inb4 "you're a p.o.s you gotta shovel crap before you rank up" tough guy comment)
Can't stop laughing at all the comments. I think those comments center around a basic thought of; you have to experience this crap to believe it. It's so difficult to explain. There is so much. It's a never ending chess game with the company. The want to own your whole world, and use you like it. Their lives depend on what they can get you to do. Production is the name of the game. Numbers!
I will say this. Until you pass probation, just put your best face on. Everything is fine and everything they say is true. That's the best way to make it in. You will work, but you'll find it's a big brain stress. More than you thought. PASS PROBATION, then decide if you wanna stay, or go.

twoweeled

Wait time is generally 1 day up to 15 years, depending on our location's needs. It's a few years at my center.

a27b46227cbd5ce9c6c37885a5df4a14ca326ea459c936f0c41b848d89d0d128.jpg

Don't need a CDL for package delivery driving and makes no difference in hiring if you have one as far as I know.

DAMN!!! I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING AT THAT KANGAROO!!! dudes buffed! Heavy curls and hittng the pecs! gotta hit the crunches now!! serious! skipping ab days!!

twoweeled

Let me know if this sounds right.
In order to get the job:
  • Be willing to work as hard as possible (easy to say a lot harder to do).
  • Be mature enough to admit my mistakes (when I make one) and adapt so it doesn't happen again.
  • Be ready to take crap, as per usual when you're the new guy at any company.
If anyone can add to this that'd be great, since I'm sure it's a lot more complex.
That seems like a good chunk of it. Don't think you can say, No. NOPE!!! No can do. It's tougher than you think. You'll see! LMAO!! Let's see how many times you find yourself in the back of your package car, leaning on a shelf saying; "friend this"! remember me the first time you say it. LOL! Good luck!

twoweeled

Also, I didn't see it mentioned so forgive me if I'm repeating this, but new drivers are being hired for a Tue-Sat schedule.
I've been outta package awhile. Sat are normal scheduled routes now? As a seniority driver, are you allowed to grab your crotch and say: "Bite me B"!!

john chesney

Newbie here.

As the title suggests, I am interviewing for a FT (Temp 2018) Package Delivery Driver off the street.

From what I have gathered by reading past threads, it is a very select few that actually get chosen. I applied on a whim and from what I have read, delivery seems like a good job and very sought after. But I am afraid of a bait and switch. Bring me in for delivery and sell me on loading stating I have to "work my way up".
Now I am a very hard worker, I workout 5 days a week and have been a fitness trainer and a gymnastics instructor. So physical and mental endurance is something I can handle. But I've also heard a lot of horror stories.

What are the odds that I can get the job off the street? (a pretty populated area not rural)
If I do have to work my way up, will I really have to wait years to get a driving position? and is it worth it?
If I don't get a drivers position, would it be better to get my CDL and reapply rather than taking loading and waiting?

(inb4 "you're a p.o.s you gotta shovel crap before you rank up" tough guy comment)
The hard truth is if that’s your picture you’re to old. I look better after almost 35 years. They hired you so they can say we don’t age discriminate but you won’t be staying. That’s the hard truth the way I see it