Is Solyndra Obama's Whitewater?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Luckily for us, he went anyway.
(WaPo) — A Silicon Valley investor and senior administration officials warned the White House to reconsider having President Obama visit a solar start-up company because of its mounting financial problems, saying he might be embarrassed later.

“A number of us are concerned that the president is visiting Solyndra,” California investor and Obama fundraiser Steve Westly wrote to Obama senior adviser Valerie Jarrett in May 2010. “Many of us believe the company’s cost structure will make it difficult for them to survive long term. . . . I just want to help protect the president from anything that could result in negative or unfair press.”

The memo was among several copies of e-mails released Monday morning by Democrats on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, which is investigating a government loan to the now-bankrupt company.

Obama’s Energy Department had provided Solyndra with a $535 million government-backed loan in 2009 and wanted to highlight the investment to show taxpayers how their stimulus dollars had been put to work. Westly said that if Obama proceeded with the visit, he should be careful about touting the company’s future.

“If it’s too late to change/postpone the meeting, the president should be careful about unrealistic/optimistic forecasts that could haunt him in the next 18 months if Solyndra hits the wall, files for bankruptcy, etc.”

ups1990

Luckily for us, he went anyway.
(WaPo) — A Silicon Valley investor and senior administration officials warned the White House to reconsider having President Obama visit a solar start-up company because of its mounting financial problems, saying he might be embarrassed later.

“A number of us are concerned that the president is visiting Solyndra,” California investor and Obama fundraiser Steve Westly wrote to Obama senior adviser Valerie Jarrett in May 2010. “Many of us believe the company’s cost structure will make it difficult for them to survive long term. . . . I just want to help protect the president from anything that could result in negative or unfair press.”

The memo was among several copies of e-mails released Monday morning by Democrats on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, which is investigating a government loan to the now-bankrupt company.

Obama’s Energy Department had provided Solyndra with a $535 million government-backed loan in 2009 and wanted to highlight the investment to show taxpayers how their stimulus dollars had been put to work. Westly said that if Obama proceeded with the visit, he should be careful about touting the company’s future.

“If it’s too late to change/postpone the meeting, the president should be careful about unrealistic/optimistic forecasts that could haunt him in the next 18 months if Solyndra hits the wall, files for bankruptcy, etc.”
One has to wonder, why in the world would fellow democrats release these damaging emails? My feeling is that in order to protect the President of accusations of corruption the Democrats and Liberals, would have the public believe that the White house is guilty of incompetence. Now this completely goes against what the press and folks like TOS would have us believe. That Obama and his staff of scholars are perfectly competent to run our country. The narrative has now changed, he isn't as bright and intellectual enough to be President. Its clear the Democrats in the House and Senate will say that the WH is incompetent and not corrupt, which you can't blame them because it sounds and is less of an evil as being corrupt. Where have you gone?, Joe Dimaggio and George Bush.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Remember how Obama preached transparency and no more politics as usual in his campaign?
Well, he sure learned about dumping documents late on Fridays so they won't be noticed so much.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I guess the D.O.E. likes kicking a dead horse. They just made several new loans (3 or 4 of them?), worth $5 Billion, to go to solar companies.

What do they care? They steal their money and then they're out of here. The same old story plays out over and over when the next administration wants to "move forward" and forgets all about it. The dems steal their money while they're in office and the repubs steal the money when they're in.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Are you saying that because Solyndra couldn't take care of their business that no other solar companies should be allowed to receive these loans? Solar is a growing technology in which the US is way behind both China and Germany. I know that you don't like the way solar panels look but I would think that you would change your mind once you see your electric meter running backwards.

We need to develop alternative fuels to reduce or eliminate our dependency on fossil fuels.

The government shouldn't be giving grants or loans to private businesses. That's the purpose of banks. People should be risking their own money, not ours. China would be glad to sell us their solar panels and we have enough oil and natural gas under our soil to say no thanks if it's too expensive.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
What do they care? They steal their money and then they're out of here. The same old story plays out over and over when the next administration wants to "move forward" and forgets all about it. The dems steal their money while they're in office and the repubs steal the money when they're in.

Please proof read your post before hitting the submit button.
"they steal our monies " would make more sense.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Please proof read your post before hitting the submit button.
"they steal our monies " would make more sense.

Please PROOFREAD your post before clicking "POST QUICK REPLY." But since you brought it up...

First, I believe you meant to say "proofread," not "proof read." Second, there's no "Submit" button.
Third, I didn't intend to use the word "our." Finally, my use of the word money was proper because I was referring to money in a general "mass noun" sense. "Monies" would have been acceptable (although not required) if I were referring to funds set aside for a specific use.

Can we just stick to the topic? This is boring.

Please PROOFREAD your post before clicking "POST QUICK REPLY." But since you brought it up...

First, I believe you meant to say "proofread," not "proof read." Second, there's no "Submit" button.
Third, I didn't intend to use the word "our." Finally, my use of the word money was proper because I was referring to money in a general "mass noun" sense. "Monies" would have been acceptable (although not required) if I were referring to funds set aside for a specific use.

Can we just stick to the topic? This is boring.

Are your Wkmac's twin brother?

moreluck

golden ticket member
October 10, 2011 @ 11:14 am | Issa Demands White House Hand Over Documents On $4.7 Billion In Solar Loans Pushed Through To Meet Sept. 30 Deadline…
Pitbull.
(The Hill) — House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) is demanding Energy Department documents relating to over $4.7 billion in loan guarantees for solar projects approved Sept. 30, the deadline for financing under the stimulus law.

Issa’s quest for documents — spelled out in an Oct. 7 letter to Energy Secretary Steven Chu obtained by The Hill on Monday — signals a deepening of his loan guarantee probe that joins the separate House Energy and Commerce Committee investigation of the failed solar panel manufacturing company Solyndra.

Issa’s letter, noting “concerns” that the $535 million guarantee for Solyndra in 2009 was rushed, says the same questions apply to the four solar power generation projects approved at the end of September.

“$4.75 billion in loan guarantees given on the last day of the program raise similar concerns that the evaluation of loan guarantees may have been rushed to meet the deadline,” Issa writes.

The letter seeks documents about the financing for First Solar, Inc., SunPower Corp. and Prologis, Inc. by Oct. 21. The documents include Energy Department communications with the companies involved, internal department communications, and communications with the White House.