Is there anybody at the wheel at UPS that can pay attention to the real world?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I do not disagree.

At one time, the Made in America sticker was the sign of a product that had no equal anywhere in the world. But then things began to change.

Corporate management decided to make things cheaper, to where they would wear out after 5 or 10 years. And as a result, many things didnt last even that long. They also took a back seat to innovation, creative design, in other words the Nascar approach. No longer do we reward those that figure out a way to do it better, we all have to be the same. I guess you can tell I dont think much of the way nascar is set up anymore:wink2:

Same thing holds true for cars. I do find it so interesting that the "core and most profitable" are not the ones being sold off, but the unique cars are. So we are all destined to drive the same looking car of the future, instead of letting the boys in Detroit lead the world once again.

And in large part, the gooberment has had a large part to play in this decline of our greatness.

It is an interesting side note, when gas was 4 bucks or higher a gallon, and all the moochers were running for office, every damn one of them agreed we need to expand our search for domestic oil, including off shore drilling (which the Cubans with Chinese help are doing off the coast of Florida), but yet not one word now that it is back to 2.50+. But yet listen to them tell the car makers that they have to make alternative fuel autos, while the rest of the world runs on gas.

We cant help but shoot ourselves in the foot.

d

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
If that's your perspective, then so be it. Like I've said many times before, "You can lead a Teamster to [put whatever forum's name here], but you can't make him think"

I think.

I think your wrong.

Ok, I am ready for the next snide remark.

Like a little kid, you must be right and you must have the last word.

Go for it.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Reading back on some of my past posts, and especially on my post above, I have noticed (ok, been hit on the head with the fact) I am becoming emotionally involved in this thread to the point that I am taking it personally. And my posts are reflecting that.

I apologize for this. Though I may not agree with everyone at the Brown Cafe, I have always tried to debate the issues at hand, and not impugn the forum members who are involved in the discussion.

But sometimes you meet a fellow poster that so infuriates you, it almost cannot be helped that personal attacks result.

I don't want to do that.

And so, I am going to do what I told myself I never would do, start using the "ignore" function of this forum.

Take it as a sign of weakness, that I cannot make a cogent argument, take it whatever way you want.

The simple fact is I come here to enjoy myself. And if I am not doing that, I am out.

And though I do indeed enjoy to have conversations with those I do not always agree with, if eventually you find the person you may be debating with to be a philistine, does it make much sense to continue the debate? Can you reasonably converse with those you do not respect?

Again I apologize if I may have offended anyone.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
As for the auto makers, the restrictions, laws and other misc goodies imposed by our federal gooberment had more to do with the failure than most any other single item.

An example of this is CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) rules.

When the government enacted this legislation, the goal was to make cars and trucks more fuel efficient. An unintended side effect is that it drove Americans to drive more truck based vehicles. How?

Americans like big vehicles. It reflects the needs of our society and the geography of our nation. When the government forced the automakers to make more fuel efficient cars, out of necessity it also made the cars smaller. Where could Americans turn to have vehicles that can haul their families, and their boats, campers, etc. Trucks. Since trucks have a more relaxed fuel economy standard to meet, they could still be relatively big. And so, the SUV craze was born.

Ironically though, this has exacerbated the fuel comsumption of the nation over the years. Because, while some of the cars before CAFE was enacted had lousy gas mileage, at least it was better than a trucks gas mileage.

If the government had simply let the consumer decide what kind of car they wanted to drive, and what kind of gas mileage it should get, we might have saved a lot more oil than we could have ever saved with CAFE standards.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

An example of this is CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) rules.

When the government enacted this legislation, the goal was to make cars and trucks more fuel efficient. An unintended side effect is that it drove Americans to drive more truck based vehicles. How?

Americans like big vehicles. It reflects the needs of our society and the geography of our nation. When the government forced the automakers to make more fuel efficient cars, out of necessity it also made the cars smaller. Where could Americans turn to have vehicles that can haul their families, and their boats, campers, etc. Trucks. Since trucks have a more relaxed fuel economy standard to meet, they could still be relatively big. And so, the SUV craze was born.

Ironically though, this has exacerbated the fuel comsumption of the nation over the years. Because, while some of the cars before CAFE was enacted had lousy gas mileage, at least it was better than a trucks gas mileage.

If the government had simply let the consumer decide what kind of car they wanted to drive, and what kind of gas mileage it should get, we might have saved a lot more oil than we could have ever saved with CAFE standards.

Agreed. The other legislation that made the demand for suv vehicles climb are child safety restraint laws. In the old days mom could hold the baby on her lap in the passenger seat with three or even more kids in the back. Now you have the child safety seats that have to have all the kids in the back. Then you would want the four door model because it would be difficult to secure the seat and baby in the back with the two door model. Then move up to a suv(would a dodge caravan or plymouth voyager count as an suv?). Then move up to one with room to store groceries, heavier kids, bigger packages from costco, the baby seats when not being used. and boom... you have your suv. This coupled with a relatively long period of low gas prices.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Jimmy

There are some people that post on this site just to bait you into saying something you shouldnt. Usually you end up degrading yourself to their level, and when you do, they go running to the teacher.

Happened to me one time when I responded in kind to someone that intimated that he would have sex with my daughter while I watched. I took offense at that in particular because my daughter is my daughter, and a minor at that. I figured no matter my response, I could not insult someone of that low a caliber enough. I guess I figured wrong.

Of course that was BM. (before mods):wink2:

I find that they come and go. Trick is to let the child have the last word and move on. And no matter what, dont get emotionally involved with a post, that is what they are after.

I also have found that while there are many times I enjoy posting here, it takes away time from my family and business. Time I can ill afford, especially when conversing with someone that knows it all, therefore they cant be taught anything.

d