Leftinbuilding

Some people are just not cut out for this kind of work. Those are the ones who never seem happy and constantly snipe at the company. Is UPS perfect? Absolutely not and you will earn every penny you make. But a lot will depend on your attitude. Been with UPS 33 years and they have been very good to me. Sometimes I too hate it but overall its been good.

Braveheart

I've been a member of this forum community for two days now, as a result of starting a part-time position as a driver helper next week.

And I was just curious from reading most of the posts, is UPS really as horrible as people make it out to be?

Some of the things I've seen people say:
1. You don't get paid overtime.
2. You work 13 hours a day.
3. You have to work part-time doing backbreaking work as a preloader for years before you get a position in management or as a driver.
4. Supervisor's rule their stations with an iron fist and threaten people with false accusations.
5. Sexism is rampart.
6. You can be "on call" for months, meanwhile you are expected to call in every single day just to see if any work is available for you.
7. You retire with a blown back, bad knees, and in poor health.
8. A much higher than average divorce rate attributed to being a UPS employee.
9. If you get in an accident you are fired no questions asked.
10. Blackmail.
11. Mental anquish.
12. Etc, etc.

Also, I visted the website Vault: The Most Trusted Name in Career Information and looked up "UPS". This website is great for a job seeker, because you get to see what employees of a company have to say about working for this company. For UPS, most of the comments are horrendous....let me quote a few:

"UPS allows and encourages it's center managers to push, degrade, humiliate, find fault"

"Unfair treatment, overwork not rewarded, for hard work we are asked to perform 100% each and everyday"

"Most unprofessional place I ever worked, run like a prison."

"A horrific experience probably equivalent to Iraq (without the blood and gore). Not fun at all."

"Non-stop stress, upper management is never satisfied with anyone's performance, no matter how good your center's performance is".

"Very bad all around"

From what I have read about UPS in the last two days of researching the company, my stomach feels sick. Should I look elsewhere and not start next week? Or are the comments I am reading from a very minor percentage of UPS employees?
1 Most overtime paid but zero for all managers including part time sups working over 40 hours. Many screw ups of missing overtime or only paid straight time over the years just file a grievance with the union and they will get your money paid to you thank God.
2True at peak but the normal is more like 10 hours.
3True
4True
5True
6True
7True that a hi percentage of people Never make it to retirement due to injuries.
8True
9True if in the first 30 days
10True
11True
The job has good full time pay and benefits with many drawbacks. The biggest one, poor management.

Last edited:

Braveheart

From my stand point here are the answers to your questions.

1. Untrue (I get paid an average of 10 hours OT a week)
2. Untrue (see answer to #1)
3. Untrue (at least around here. I was hired as a FT driver)
4. Untrue (in my center anyhow. All sups are friendly and make it a pleasant place to work)
5. I haven't witnessed any.
6. Not around here. (see my answer to #3)
7. I'm nowhere near retirement and have only been at UPS for 5 months, so I really can't answer that one.
8. Possible, but I am not aware of it.
9. Very untrue. (I had an accident my first month and I'm still around)
10. Haven't witnessed any.
11. None for me yet.
12. It all depends.

I hope some of my answers allow you to sleep better.
You were the 1 outside hire now the next 6 are inside hires by contract. Consider yourself lucky for that and the accident you had would have sent you packing here. I want to transfer where you are at since 90% of our managers are jerks. You are a newbie. Give it time and grow a thick skin.

Braveheart

If you want to work for a company that will not call you and let you know when your mother in law dies, your father in law dies or your kid is in the emergency room because of drinking something poisonous then this is a GREAT place to work!
I know a guy that had his father pass and a brother pass and they did not even call him. Real family values here, if you are the Manson family!

trickpony1

With the onslaught of cellular telephones, pagers (with voicemail) can be had for just pennies a day.
I realize that before pagers, situations where the driver wasn't notified of family emergencies may have been common but, with today's technology, there's no reason this should happen any longer.

A

Anon

With the onslaught of cellular telephones, pagers (with voicemail) can be had for just pennies a day.
I realize that before pagers, situations where the driver wasn't notified of family emergencies may have been common but, with today's technology, there's no reason this should happen any longer.
Thank you.

A

Anony Mouse Cow Ard

...Some of the things I've seen people say:
1. You don't get paid overtime.
2. You work 13 hours a day.
3. You have to work part-time doing backbreaking work as a preloader for years before you get a position in management or as a driver.
4. Supervisor's rule their stations with an iron fist and threaten people with false accusations.
5. Sexism is rampart.
6. You can be "on call" for months, meanwhile you are expected to call in every single day just to see if any work is available for you.
7. You retire with a blown back, bad knees, and in poor health.
8. A much higher than average divorce rate attributed to being a UPS employee.
9. If you get in an accident you are fired no questions asked.
10. Blackmail.
11. Mental anquish.

1. You have to stand up for yourself -maybe with union assistance- to prevent unpaid overtime. There will be pressure, and sometimes things might seem easier if you just do a little off-the-clock....
2. The 13-hour days may be there. The overtime is part of the job. How do you expect that a $25/hour driver earns $80,000 per year? However, not everyone works that long every day - and you have to stand up for yourself before burnout.
3. I have seen centers where part-timers move to FT or Mgt in 2 to 3 years, and centers where part-timers have been hanging on for 15+ years without a FT position being available. Those were 12- to 16-car rural centers. In metropolitan areas, I think 5 to 7 years is common, but things change fast. (When I started in the '70s, I was told it would be a few years before I would drive. Within a year, I was driving...11 hour days.)
4. Supervisors vary greatly, but few remain pleasant under the stresses that UPS places upon them. Some will do most anything to meet expectations.
5. Sexism is rampant among the employees in general, slightly less rampant among management.
6. Yes. Some of those 15+year part-timers I mentioned still have to call each day to see if they get to drive (in addition to their in-center duties, or shuttle route, etc.).
7. UPS does teach, train, PCM, emphasize and expect that proper methods be used...but the pressure to produce a lot of work encourages everyone to ignore those methods. Those who are young and invincible ignore the methods (and may be praised for their high production) at a future cost to their bodies.
8. I dunno.
9. Not a hard and fast rule - it depends upon the situation - but UPS does not cut much slack for a driver who ignores methods.
10. From #4: Supervisors vary greatly...ome will do most anything to meet expectations.
11. "Mental anguish" is not a UPS trait, but can come from the situations already described and how we react to those situations.

To answer the question posed in the title of this thread, NO, UPS is not really that bad to work for...in most cases. Here, you will hear about the worst situations. Probably not exaggeration, but not entirely standard.

UPS expects hard work from the employees, and always has. That hard work has been rewarded with job security and excellent benefits - and good pay plus good retirement for those who last a long time. In the past 10 years, the emphasis on meeting numbers has increased the stress levels for management, and that stress gets passed down to the workers in many ways.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

It only proves that you make it feasible to be reached, doesnt mean anyone will utilize the equipment you have. Unless you have a human mgmt team. Ive had both, the humane and the inhumane. The humane would call you if he/she had to come out and take over your route. The inhumane would say, there was nothing you could have done anyway.

trickpony1

The point I was trying to make is.........
A loved one (parent, spouse, in-law, etc.) would page the driver thereby completely bypassing anyone in management. The driver could then notify management of the emergency and take the appropriate steps.
I'm sorry I confused everyone.

tieguy

Banned
It only proves that you make it feasible to be reached, doesnt mean anyone will utilize the equipment you have. Unless you have a human mgmt team. Ive had both, the humane and the inhumane. The humane would call you if he/she had to come out and take over your route. The inhumane would say, there was nothing you could have done anyway.

Feel free to call the 1 800 number or the president on the inhumane. If that person does not have enough compassion to call you for a family emergency then that person does not deserve to work for the brown machine. I have no compassion for nor do I enjoy defending someone who is so insensitive to someones basic human needs. We have an obligation to do everything we can to weed out anyone so thoughtless.

tieguy

Banned
Back on topic.

I think everyone here is proud of the job they do as part of the brown machine.

I think everyone including myself have days we wish we had quit and tried something else.

I think all of us ( as demonstrated on this website) feel we have earned the right to be critical of the things this company does well and those we screw up day in and day out.

If I'm wrong shoot me, won't be the first time. :thumbup1:

After all I'm just a dumb truckdriving management person.

hoser

Industrial Slob
depends on the attitude that you have. UPS is definately a flawed company, but a lot of people don't realize how good they have it, taking into account the wage they earn and that there are many worse companies than UPS. you do earn ot and i've never been short changed on my OT or hours ever, if i am, that's what the teamsters are for.

with respect to people retiring in bad shape, you can't age, have a physically demanding job, and not take care of yourself, then blame UPS for all of it. you have to be more responsible than that. i know UPSers in their 50s whom eat right, go to the gym, lift properly, and go at a reasonable pace, and they're sitting pretty. if you're a coal-miner, you can blame the conditions for your deteriorated health, but as a UPSer, your health and wellbeing at middle age is completely in YOUR hands.

And I've never seen sexism in my workplace. The fact that fewer women are drawn into this kind of work is not a sexist construct, it's reflective of the society we're in.

over9five

Staff member
"..but as a UPSer, your health and wellbeing at middle age is completely in YOUR hands."

Total BS.
Body parts wear, like everything else. When you punch out at 7:30, you won't be going to the gym. You will go straight home to spend a little time with the family before getting some sleep in so you can do it again the next day.

Go to the gym. Sheesh!

Brownnblue

Feel free to call the 1 800 number or the president on the inhumane. If that person does not have enough compassion to call you for a family emergency then that person does not deserve to work for the brown machine. I have no compassion for nor do I enjoy defending someone who is so insensitive to someones basic human needs. We have an obligation to do everything we can to weed out anyone so thoughtless.

I think there is a chance Tieguy could be right on this one. The few times that I have had family emergency issues have been dealt with very professionally by management. My youngest son some very serious medical problems when he was born, and I got support on every level.

A

Anon

"..but as a UPSer, your health and wellbeing at middle age is completely in YOUR hands."

Total BS.
Body parts wear, like everything else. When you punch out at 7:30, you won't be going to the gym. You will go straight home to spend a little time with the family before getting some sleep in so you can do it again the next day.

Go to the gym. Sheesh!
X2 Bravo!

softshoe

with respect to people retiring in bad shape, you can't age, have a physically demanding job, and not take care of yourself, then blame UPS for all of it. you have to be more responsible than that. i know UPSers in their 50s whom eat right, go to the gym, lift properly, and go at a reasonable pace, and they're sitting pretty. if you're a coal-miner, you can blame the conditions for your deteriorated health, but as a UPSer, your health and wellbeing at middle age is completely inYour hands.

Its called repetitive stress. Drs have told me that after 30 yrs of stooping,climbing, and humping up those steep driveways,that the human body wasn't designed to take that much abuse. I'm told because of this, I"ll probably always have these aching knees.

blue efficacy

It absolutely is totally dependent on management. When I have a good supe, I love my job. When I don't, I don't.

My good supe just quit. We got a new supervisor now who is trying to fight our past practice of picking our jobs by seniority. I am not looking forward to the weeks ahead...

dammor

depends on the attitude that you have. UPS is definately a flawed company, but a lot of people don't realize how good they have it, taking into account the wage they earn and that there are many worse companies than UPS. you do earn ot and i've never been short changed on my OT or hours ever, if i am, that's what the teamsters are for.

with respect to people retiring in bad shape, you can't age, have a physically demanding job, and not take care of yourself, then blame UPS for all of it. you have to be more responsible than that. i know UPSers in their 50s whom eat right, go to the gym, lift properly, and go at a reasonable pace, and they're sitting pretty. if you're a coal-miner, you can blame the conditions for your deteriorated health, but as a UPSer, your health and wellbeing at middle age is completely in YOUR hands.

And I've never seen sexism in my workplace. The fact that fewer women are drawn into this kind of work is not a sexist construct, it's reflective of the society we're in.

How long have you been working here and what is it you do? I ask this because I don't think you have a clue what a person in thier 50's feels like after 25+years here. Some of us walk better than others, but we all feel the effects of lifting this sort of weight for that many years. As far as the gym goes, well that's just funny. The job is our gym. Tell me how you feel in 20 years and I will try not to say I told you so.

The fact that you have seen no sexism in the workplace is not surprising. You wouldn't unless you were female. It has very little to do with the number of women hired. It is about the way the women who are hired are treated by some of the men they work with. Not all mind you, just some. The older men seem to respect a woman who can do the job, the younger men sometimes appear to see them as a threat.

All that being said, I think UPS is a good place to work if you have a thick skin and a good work ethic. Both are required.

dillweed

I feel that the type of person you are going into UPS has lots to do with how you'll experience it. Some people have lots of confidence and others are a bit more timid. Don't ever depend on anyone at ups to stroke your ego unless they are getting ready to screw you over.

The company is largely confident and, sometimes, arrogant individuals. You'll sometimes have to butt up against them, hold your ground and maintain your dignity

At first it's so chaotic and stressful you just do what you're told and try to hang on. Pretty soon you notice that many folks, including some supervisors, are talking straight out of their rectums. It's not always easy to just nod and get along with these people but it's the only way to survive. Trust me, they are not better than you, they just talk big.

The labor is difficult and demanding. You're either cut out for it or you're not. If you can handle the work of it your next battle is the bs. Just let it slide and quietly listen. Won't take long to figure out who's full of it and who is not. Things also change constantly. One minute you're to do this, the next someone hollars at you to do that.

Get to know your union rep early on and ask them questions if you feel you're being abused or cheated.

I've seen many big mouth, big shot people come in who are not really good workers but bs their way through. Also seen many kick-ass workers who didn't stay because of the games.

It's a good job with great benefits and keeps you physically fit. Give it a try and keep your wits about you. If it's too much crap, just give notice and move on. There's a place for everyone somewhere. Best of luck, dw