Is your pet simply property or part of the family?

I am really glad that those of y'all that have pets are willing to spend, whatever your number is, on them. I applaud you. I am not willing to do so, that is one of the reasons I do not have pets anymore. It's not that I don't like dogs, I do and enjoy playing with them from time to time. but to take on the responsibility of having one is not what I will do. Normally I wouldn't even respond to a post about saving animals in general, but this one sounded so absurd to me, I couldn't help myself.
Menotyou, I'm not too sure I would spend 7 grand to save my own leg.

rod

Retired 22 years
My vet told me once that my 15 year old cat could use about $400 bucks worth of dental work. I told him that since I retired I didn't have dental insurance anymore so if I had an extra $400 it would be going toward my own dental work. The cat is still fat and sassy (17 years old) and survives on soft canned food.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm sorry, but I could never justify spending that much money on an animal.

I deliver to a guy who has about $10K invested in his model train set. There is another guy with at least $7K tied up in some monstrous car stereo with the big obnoxious thumping bass speakers. If I had $7K and a dog that I loved who was otherwise young and healthy enough to truly benefit from surgery....I wouldnt hesitate to spend it. To each their own.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I deliver to a guy who has about $10K invested in his model train set. There is another guy with at least $7K tied up in some monstrous car stereo with the big obnoxious thumping bass speakers. If I had $7K and a dog that I loved who was otherwise young and healthy enough to truly benefit from surgery....I wouldnt hesitate to spend it. To each their own.

Exactly.

menotyou

bella amicizia
He was a 1 1/2 yr old extremely healthy dog. I don't have biological children. I have 4 legged ones.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I am really glad that those of y'all that have pets are willing to spend, whatever your number is, on them. I applaud you. I am not willing to do so, that is one of the reasons I do not have pets anymore. It's not that I don't like dogs, I do and enjoy playing with them from time to time. but to take on the responsibility of having one is not what I will do. Normally I wouldn't even respond to a post about saving animals in general, but this one sounded so absurd to me, I couldn't help myself.
Menotyou, I'm not too sure I would spend 7 grand to save my own leg.
I didn't even think about it. It was during peak, too. My center manager let me have all the time I needed. They all know my dogs are my kids. Period.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

That's generally the way I feel when someone says they wouldn't spend that kind of money on a companion animal. One of our cats has cost us around 3K for various issues but hell, I've spent more than that on a week long luxury vacation more than once. My home theatre setup cost more than that. In exchange for that money we added quality years to his life and the time we get to spend with him (he's a very cool cat). Money is just a means to an end, you spend it on the things that matter to you.

tourists24

Not sure what the laws are in other states, but here in NC apparently a pet is treated as property which is why the couple only won the amount of $350; the price of replacing the dog

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My vet told me once that my 15 year old cat could use about $400 bucks worth of dental work. I told him that since I retired I didn't have dental insurance anymore so if I had an extra $400 it would be going toward my own dental work. The cat is still fat and sassy (17 years old) and survives on soft canned food.

Something to be aware of; animals do everything they can to conceal pain (its a survival instinct) and abcessed teeth can be very painful. I recently dropped about $400 to have 3 abcessed teeth removed from my 16 yr old poodle. My wife and I debated whether or not to euthanize him rather than put him thru that type of anasthesia and surgery at his age. We decided to give the surgery a shot, and it was the right choice. This little guy walks 1.8 miles per day with me and my Basset hound every day when I get home from work, and he is just as chipper at the end of the walk as he was at the beginning. Getting rid of the bad teeth literally gave him a new lease on life, he is eating more and has a lot more energy. He acts like a dog half his age. I would make sure at the very least that your cat doesnt have abscesses before deciding not to have the work done.