I've Been Working on the Railroad

bbsam

Staff member
UPS also has dedicated NDA drivers. Check your facts. I have also driven for UPS, and their air operation runs just like FedEx. I know because I ran the NDA every night in their CTV.
incorrect. They have dedicated NDA drivers but they are not the only ones who deliver NDA. Ground doesn't deliver Express NDA, do we? UPS ground drivers do.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
incorrect. They have dedicated NDA drivers but they are not the only ones who deliver NDA. Ground doesn't deliver Express NDA, do we? UPS ground drivers do.

Don't twist what I said. UPS has dedicated NDA drivers, but I did not say that the regular package cars don't take NDA. They do, and I'm well aware of it. I ran NDA in feeders, not a package car. Your "mixing" of services doesn't justify the RLA at FedEx. More intentional muddying of the waters on your part.

bbsam

Staff member
Don't twist what I said. UPS has dedicated NDA drivers, but I did not say that the regular package cars don't take NDA. They do, and I'm well aware of it. I ran NDA in feeders, not a package car. Your "mixing" of services doesn't justify the RLA at FedEx. More intentional muddying of the waters on your part.
My "mixing" of services? I do nothing of the sort. You seem to want to simply gloss over the fact that thus far FDX has had to keep separate the Ground and Express segments to keep it RLA regulation. That's not a small detail.UPS chooses not to do so. If they did separate the two and were still denied RLA regulation for the NDA division, they could rightfully claim an "unfair playing field". But really, since they are already unionized, what good would it do them? So instead of UPS changing to play on FDX's field, you and others claim that FDX has to change to play on the UPS field. Why? There is nothing muddy here except your thought processes on just about everything having to do with Fedex.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My "mixing" of services? I do nothing of the sort. You seem to want to simply gloss over the fact that thus far FDX has had to keep separate the Ground and Express segments to keep it RLA regulation. That's not a small detail.UPS chooses not to do so. If they did separate the two and were still denied RLA regulation for the NDA division, they could rightfully claim an "unfair playing field". But really, since they are already unionized, what good would it do them? So instead of UPS changing to play on FDX's field, you and others claim that FDX has to change to play on the UPS field. Why? There is nothing muddy here except your thought processes on just about everything having to do with Fedex.

But Ground and Express are not separate. FedEx Express facilities accept Ground, Express aircraft carry Ground all the time, and Ground semis haul Express P2 and XS. Dumb couriers will also grab Ground from DBs and take it to the station. Sorry, but unless the Ground guy comes and gets the package from the DB, Express is handling it. That is hardly "separate". The one difference is that package car drivers can have a mixed load of ground and air. Does that justify the Express RLA classification as an airline...NO.

bbsam

Staff member
I have two UPS centers in my area and we pick up there 3 to 5 times a.week because customers put our freight on their trailers. Does that make bbsam inc a subsidiary of UPS?

bbsam

Staff member
You keep insisting that package car drivers carrying a mixed load being the only difference is not enough to qualify Express under the RLA. It seems it in fact does and no level of insistence to the contrary from you will change that.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
But Ground and Express are not separate. FedEx Express facilities accept Ground, Express aircraft carry Ground all the time, and Ground semis haul Express P2 and XS. Dumb couriers will also grab Ground from DBs and take it to the station. Sorry, but unless the Ground guy comes and gets the package from the DB, Express is handling it. That is hardly "separate". The one difference is that package car drivers can have a mixed load of ground and air. Does that justify the Express RLA classification as an airline...NO.
Excellent point and a perfect example of the smoke and mirrors scenario known as FDX.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I have two UPS centers in my area and we pick up there 3 to 5 times a.week because customers put our freight on their trailers. Does that make bbsam inc a subsidiary of UPS?
No, but it means that you have some really stupid customers and what's more stupid is it sounds like nobody's doing anything to alleviate the problem.

bbsam

Staff member
It's large shippers loading pallets onto trailers. They put them on UPS trailers instead of Ground trailers. Maybe they are stupid. I don't care; it's easy money.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You keep insisting that package car drivers carrying a mixed load being the only difference is not enough to qualify Express under the RLA. It seems it in fact does and no level of insistence to the contrary from you will change that.

The air ops are basically identical at UPS and FedEx. The only real difference is that package cars can sometimes take a mixed load of ground and NDA. I think that Fred's campaign to keep us under the RLA at any cost is what does it. He has built a powerful group of politicians who will kill any attempt to modify or eliminate the RLA scam. I would love for UPS to push harder (in court) for the level playing field. There has never been a Brown Bailout, just a Purple Bailout.

bbsam

Staff member
UPS' best shot at a level playing field has nothing to do with government action. The RLA would do nothing for them. Their best shot is to break the union.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's large shippers loading pallets onto trailers. They put them on UPS trailers instead of Ground trailers. Maybe they are stupid. I don't care; it's easy money.

Whatever. You're talking about a mistake. FedEx interchanges freight between the 2 opcos all the time..intentionally. Like I said, Express aircraft haul Ground frequently, and Ground semis haul Express freight...frequently. As in by design. RLA..not justified.