Job opportunities for bottom scale fedex employees. Be your own BOSS ;)

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Well this could be comparable to the vast number of food delivery options. Do people use it, absolutely, but has it put anyone out of business. Also there's been a few interesting stories on the web in regards to über. First people aren't making the money they were promised and secondly to compete internationally they are operating at a huge loss in some markets. So back to flex delivery options, well first this will primarily be goods that already for the most part has been moved to regional carriers or the post office(amazons bitch) as I call them. I don't foresee much if any impact to either UPS or FedEx.

Exactly. Flex, Uber, Lyft, etc. suggest you'll make in the ballpark of $20/hour. That's sort of accurate, but what they don't tell you is that you'll get hit with a nice fat tax bill because you're a 1099 employee. Well, I'm assuming Flex drivers will be 1099'd like the others... Regardless, there will be a long line of suckers who'll sign up and leave in short order only to be replaced with the next wave of suckers.

If you want to make money with your own car, work for Domino's. You won't get hit with a tax nightmare and you still get paid minimum wage as long as you're on the clock.

vantexan

Oh, it'll "work" just like Uber, which implies a wholly different connotation of what "works" means. I eagerly await your dissertation on how this will cripple Express.
Who said it will cripple Express? I'm concerned how it will affect couriers with a lot less stops to deliver. Do you care about our employees Mr.Manager? Of course not.

vantexan

Exactly. Flex, Uber, Lyft, etc. suggest you'll make in the ballpark of $20/hour. That's sort of accurate, but what they don't tell you is that you'll get hit with a nice fat tax bill because you're a 1099 employee. Well, I'm assuming Flex drivers will be 1099'd like the others... Regardless, there will be a long line of suckers who'll sign up and leave in short order only to be replaced with the next wave of suckers.

If you want to make money with your own car, work for Domino's. You won't get hit with a tax nightmare and you still get paid minimum wage as long as you're on the clock.
Some taxes after writing off car expenses. There's precedent for this: newspaper delivery.

bacha29

What it will mean is that if the Amazon delivery service reaches it's full potential an HD route that would go out 90-100% loaded on a typical day will instead be 75-85% loaded and that is going to put a pretty good lick on an HD contractor with a bunch of routes who is paying his guys on a per diem basis. It some cases his guys might get done early enough to go hop in their cars and go run Amazon boxes later in the day and evening.

59 Dano

Who said it will cripple Express? I'm concerned how it will affect couriers with a lot less stops to deliver. Do you care about our employees Mr.Manager? Of course not.

Of course I do. What makes you think it will lead to a lot less stops to deliver?

59 Dano

So they are paying that per hour? So I can go grab 20 stops and milk out an 10 hour day and could possibly make $250? Or do you get paid by the piece?

The new big thing is for suckers to de----- I mean, for people to get paid for the job, not the time. The website says that you can schedule blocks of time to work delivering Amazon Prime Now (delivery within 2 hours of the placement of the order). My guess is that this will pay just like everything else, and that's by the job. Amazon wants no part of taking these suckers as ac--- I mean, these PEOPLE as actual employees.

59 Dano

The new big thing is for suckers to de----- I mean, for people to get paid for the job, not the time. The website says that you can schedule blocks of time to work delivering Amazon Prime Now (delivery within 2 hours of the placement of the order). My guess is that this will pay just like everything else, and that's by the job. Amazon wants no part of taking these suckers as ac--- I mean, these PEOPLE as actual employees.

I looked at some reviews from those who work or have worked for Flex. You get an hourly wage, but are a contract employee. There are too many drivers and not enough shifts, plus Amazon has drivers competing with temp agency drivers in some areas. Consensus is that it's not that bad if you can get enough hours, your auto expenses are low, and you don't tell your auto insurance company what you're doing.

59 Dano

Notice the large markets it's currently offered in? I'm guessing the Flex crew goes to the local distribution center and is given freight for that metro area. Those are stops that FedEx currently does, and as large metro areas make up a huge part of the country's population I'd say this is a real threat to FedEx. And more so as it spreads to other cities. Especially if they start offering same day service. No need for stations, trucking it to the stations, managers over the stations.

This is for their premium same-day service, something that we rarely fool with.

59 Dano

The best ones in the best areas will do well especially when many families have more than one car and more than one qualified driver in the household including those households where they're 20 something kid has moved back home with a car but no job. Then too those state welfare departments who and they do this in some states buy cars for their "clients" in the hope that they will get out and work will no doubt have their " clients" out there hauling Amazon. Good it will be a whole new life experience for them. It's called work. The problem however is that it will probably come at the expense of those who have worked everyday of their lives taking what the economy would give them.

And then there's reality, which says otherwise.

bacha29

Look you arrogant SOB. If you lived in the same state I live in you would know about the practice of the welfare dept buying people cars in a effort to get them out to work. In fact there are banks in my area who are givng money to those people to help pay for the cars from a grant source. As for adult age kids having to move back in with their parents that is a reality your sheltered little world has shielded you from. But then again you're a manager. And a clueless one at that I might say.

59 Dano

Look you arrogant SOB. If you lived in the same state I live in you would know about the practice of the welfare dept buying people cars in a effort to get them out to work. In fact there are banks in my area who are givng money to those people to help pay for the cars from a grant source. As for adult age kids having to move back in with their parents that is a reality your sheltered little world has shielded you from. But then again you're a manager. And a clueless one at that I might say.

I'm sorry, but regardless of what your state's welfare department does, Flex doesn't offer enough shifts for anyone to make a decent living.

bacha29

Give it a few years. When I started with RPS in 1992 our terminals first day received a total of 80 boxes and that was for an area that consisted of 11 rural counties across 2 states. If Amazon delivery is economical, functional and well received it will be developed to it's full potential. Then again, you're a MANAGER you are expected to be able to make accurate forecasts ,projections and identify new business opportunities.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm sorry, but regardless of what your state's welfare department does, Flex doesn't offer enough shifts for anyone to make a decent living.

Mr. Bezos is notoriously cheap, kind of like our Dear Leader Smith. I imagine you need to pick-up your packages at the Amazon Distribution Center (mine would be a 40 mile round trip), use your own vehicle, gas, and insurance, and then get paid an hourly wage vs. a per package rate? Sorry, doesn't sound like a good deal for anyone but Bezos.

vantexan

Mr. Bezos is notoriously cheap, kind of like our Dear Leader Smith. I imagine you need to pick-up your packages at the Amazon Distribution Center (mine would be a 40 mile round trip), use your own vehicle, gas, and insurance, and then get paid an hourly wage vs. a per package rate? Sorry, doesn't sound like a good deal for anyone but Bezos.
But the point of all of this is if Amazon can get their packages delivered this way in the metro areas it will mean considerably less freight for many couriers, route restructuring, and less pay. No matter what we think of Bezos, it's his job to make Amazon more profitable. If he can do it, what's to keep Verizon and others from doing the same? And you know Amazon will keep trying until they figure it out. And then FedEx will have to get rid of shills like Dano.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But the point of all of this is if Amazon can get their packages delivered this way in the metro areas it will mean considerably less freight for many couriers, route restructuring, and less pay. No matter what we think of Bezos, it's his job to make Amazon more profitable. If he can do it, what's to keep Verizon and others from doing the same? And you know Amazon will keep trying until they figure it out. And then FedEx will have to get rid of shills like Dano.

Dano is paid to obstruct and and deflect anything potentially damaging to FedEx, and this certainly qualifies. If Bezos can get people to deliver his crap on the cheap, it would harm Dear Leader.

59 Dano

Whenever anyone tries an experiment with delivery, van immediately goes into not-quite-but-close-enough panic mode about the impact it'll have on Express operations.

vantexan

Whenever anyone tries an experiment with delivery, van immediately goes into not-quite-but-close-enough panic mode about the impact it'll have on Express operations.
What panic? I find it exciting that FedEx might get bit. Couldn't happen to nicer people. But I'd hate to see couriers down to 35 hrs a week. Been there, hoss.

59 Dano

What panic? I find it exciting that FedEx might get bit. Couldn't happen to nicer people. But I'd hate to see couriers down to 35 hrs a week. Been there, hoss.

Settle down, sonny. Whenever a new idea is theorized, you're all in with how bad it's going to be for couriers. Might wanna let things play out before you start worrying, considering that zero of the things that we've discussed here that were going to have a major impact on couriers' hours actually did so.