Joining the Safety Committee question

Con1989

I don't know whether or not this question has been asked before but I'll ask it anyways. I was thinking of joining the safety committee, since I get to work early everyday mind as well do something productive. Here's the question; Whats the benefits of joining the safety committee? Extra pay, looks good on paper, helps to advance in different position? Any pro's or con's in joining? (Im a PT package handler-loader btw if it matters) Thx for reading.

Future

Victory Ride
I don't know whether or not this question has been asked before but I'll ask it anyways. I was thinking of joining the safety committee, since I get to work early everyday mind as well do something productive. Here's the question; Whats the benefits of joining the safety committee? Extra pay, looks good on paper, helps to advance in different position? Any pro's or con's in joining? (Im a PT package handler-loader btw if it matters) Thx for reading.
Its a great kiss ass move. Just dont hurt when your on it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You will find that UPS talks a really good game when it comes to safety but when it comes down to production or safety the former will always trump the latter.

Indecisi0n

tumblr_ly6hv6BgSP1r72wi0o1_500.gif

jaker

trolling
I get to work early to so I don't have to look for a parking spot and I can laugh at the people doing safety committee

And hear I only do it for the extra money reason , catch a red light on the way in and you made up that time already

Indecisi0n

I get to work early to so I don't have to look for a parking spot and I can laugh at the people doing safety committee

And hear I only do it for the extra money reason , catch a red light on the way in and you made up that time already

You get to work for a parking spot? Are you sure it's not to sort your truck? Because I find it hard to believe with all the walking we do you would go out of your way to come to work early just so you can be closer to the building.

I get to work early everyday and I see there are already 10 drivers in the building working for free everyday!

jaker

trolling

One I get to work early is to beat the worst traffic since i have a long commute and two our hub is small so with preload there and drivers coming in there are no spots untill the loaders start to leave

But thanks for calling out something you have no clue on , I get to the hub around 7:30 and we start at 8:15

Then I spend that time making fun of guys like you who think they know it all

quamba 638

What do you mean by advancing?

PT supervisor? That's not an advancement. Trust me.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You get more time. How much depends on your level of involvement -- you may get to work with new hires, cook food for the sort, do observations, do building "audits," assist with annual compliance training, etc. Some of these activities will give you an occasional break from your everyday job. Unfortunately, it may not be you that gets to decide your level of involvement. My building has about 350 Preloaders, and up to a dozen show up to our monthly meeting. We're allotted so many safety hours and our safety co-chair, a 34-year PTer UPS earning the same top rate as the drivers, ensures he gets every single minute of that time ... and management seems to be OK with this. From what I've read on here, it seems to be commonplace.

Starting August 1st these positions will all be union appointed. If they aren't contact your local.

Con1989

What do you mean by advancing?

PT supervisor? That's not an advancement. Trust me.[/QUOTE]

Oh ya, didn't mean a PT Sup, I'm not looking to go into management. I was just shooting some stuff out there because I really don't know the benefits in joining. I asked a few safety committee members at my hub whats the benefits in joining and they don't give me a straight answer. Thx

Future

Victory Ride
]If you need the extra coin, by all means join. Gain knowledge of how to work safe......and use it so you dont get hurt.....Dont walk around telling other teamsters safety tips if they ask you thats fine give them a educated answer...dont put yourself on a higher level because you are on this commitee you will be shot down fast

Con1989

]If you need the extra coin, by all means join. Gain knowledge of how to work safe......and use it so you dont get hurt.....Dont walk around telling other teamsters safety tips if they ask you thats fine give them a educated answer...dont put yourself on a higher level because you are on this commitee you will be shot down fast

Sounds to me you do get alittle more time on your check. So how much time each day are we talking about or how does that time work?
I also figured the extra knowledge wouldn't hurt how you were saying. Thx for the response.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Con1989,

Before joining a safety committee you should request a copy of the Committee Member Handbook to see if this is a process that you want to get involved with.

Sincerely,
I

Con1989

Con1989,

Before joining a safety committee you should request a copy of the Committee Member Handbook to see if this is a process that you want to get involved with.

Sincerely,
I

Great idea, I will do that. Thx

Integrity

Binge Poster
Great idea, I will do that. Thx
Con1989,

You may get a blank look when asking for this document.

Not many people know about this some may even say it doesn't exist. Believe me it does.

Please contact me if you cannot get one.

Why every committee member doesn't have one is beyond me?

Just another integrity failure I suppose.

Sincerely,
I