Just got Laid off

helenofcalifornia

Altstewie, don't even bother with this nut case Socks. If all management were like Socks, UPS would have tanked years ago. Socks is 4'6", pimpled, 19 and balding. He has to pay for his "comfort." Don't even sweat this guy. He will be gone long before you or I.

flltmmr

First of all, if you are offered the opportunity to get your 8 hours by bumping back to the inside, working both the preload and metro, why wouldn't you? If the thought of bumping a PTer concerns you, that is simply part of working in a union shop and is not personal. Working on the inside during your layoff will ensure that you keep your benefits and continue to accrue hours toward your pension.

Ummm, where did I say I was concerned about displacing a part-timmer? In our area, when we displace a part-timmer, we are only guarunteed 3.5hrs a shift; so two 3.5hr shifts = 7hrs. In our area, when we displace a part-timmer, we get paid our company seniority rate which is significantly less than our driver wage. If I worked 7.5hrs a day for 5 days, that would be 35hrs. Combine that with my company seniority wage and what I would make doing that would be a measley $50-75 more than what I would get for going with unemployment compensation. Why would I do that unless I have to pay an extra $200-300 to keep my benefits continuous? That is why I would consider taking the lay-off as opposed to working on the inside which is why I wanted to know for sure if we had to pay our H&W for the week(s) we are laid off.

What you are talking about is called Cobra.

I don't know about your supplement and/or local, but here when we lose our benefits because we resign or get terminated, we have the option of continuing our H&W coverage for a certain amount of time at the rate the company pays for all our weekly benefits, but nothing is mentioned about a lay-off. If we choose COBRA, either before or after this continuation, not only does COBRA cost the same per month just for health insurance, but you also have to pay extra for dental and eye benefits; so COBRA is not a factor. All I'm asking is if anyone knows that when a person is laid off, does the company continue paying benefits if you choose to take unemployment as opposed to displacing a part-timmer(s). I'm pretty sure they don't, but I was just double checking.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ummm, where did I say I was concerned about displacing a part-timmer? In our area, when we displace a part-timmer, we are only guarunteed 3.5hrs a shift; so two 3.5hr shifts = 7hrs. In our area, when we displace a part-timmer, we get paid our company seniority rate which is significantly less than our driver wage. If I worked 7.5hrs a day for 5 days, that would be 35hrs. Combine that with my company seniority wage and what I would make doing that would be a measley $50-75 more than what I would get for going with unemployment compensation. Why would I do that unless I have to pay an extra $200-300 to keep my benefits continuous? That is why I would consider taking the lay-off as opposed to working on the inside which is why I wanted to know for sure if we had to pay our H&W for the week(s) we are laid off.

So you would prefer to sit home and collect welfare rather than work? Typical Generation Me.

I don't know about your supplement and/or local, but here when we lose our benefits because we resign or get terminated, we have the option of continuing our H&W coverage for a certain amount of time at the rate the company pays for all our weekly benefits, but nothing is mentioned about a lay-off. If we choose COBRA, either before or after this continuation, not only does COBRA cost the same per month just for health insurance, but you also have to pay extra for dental and eye benefits; so COBRA is not a factor. All I'm asking is if anyone knows that when a person is laid off, does the company continue paying benefits if you choose to take unemployment as opposed to displacing a part-timmer(s). I'm pretty sure they don't, but I was just double checking.

Why would the company give you benefits yet not give you a paycheck?

The company is giving you the opportunity to work, keep your benefits and continue accruing hours toward your pension. Take the layoff, bump to the inside and wait for things to pick up.