labor issues in new contract

steeltoe

After looking through the new contract I am surprised to see that there was not really much of an improvement... at best it was a give/take trade for better benefits in one area, but less in others. As a part-timer I didn't really get to involved in union stuff. $.35, $.50, $1.00 doesn't really matter when your only working part-time hours, its spare change at best. I was REALLY surprised to see that the ONE issue that everyone complains about was not addressed, that issue being "overworking". It seems to be a pretty unanimous thought around here (for drivers at least) that overtime, double-time, or even triple-time pay doesn't compensate for much when you never see your family because you are always working. I did read about the "9.5 hour" language but that is very, very weak and ultimately doesn't float many results. For such a big issue i would have expected it to be a bigger priority in negotiations. What happened?

Glad to see you are involved and read the entire contract. I hope you did not vote on the contract at hand, before reading and understanding the entire deal.

Beat'n Black n Brown

So, you want o/t when you only want it......right??.... not when the company needs you right??.....and you think that you should file a grievence basaed on that....correct??.....how do you run a business with that thought process???....I see that you are beingn mentored by both red as well as cach !!
BB....you've got it wrong,like i said i'll go help other people if i want more o/t..i will ask my sup if anyone needs help or wont make 9.5....this will usually be after i myself will have a 9.5 dispatch(or more)and still have time to be in by 9.5. i have never said i go out with an 8.0 day and if i want o/t i'll get it that way...i have never filed a 9.5 grievence because i have'nt needed to but ,if i am abused(which i am not)it's there for me to use......i should have said if i want more o/t...sorry i did'nt make myself more clear.....i only want between 6 and 9 hours o/t a week and for those who want or need more all the power to em'......

Last edited:

Bloodybrown

BB....you've got it wrong,like i said i'll go help other people if i want more o/t..i will ask my sup if anyone needs help or wont make 9.5....this will usually be after i myself will have a 9.5 dispatch(or more)and still have time to be in by 9.5. i have never said i go out with an 8.0 day and if i want o/t i'll get it that way...i have never filed a 9.5 grievence because i have'nt needed to but ,if i am abused(which i am not)it's there for me to use......i should have said if i want more o/t...sorry i did'nt make myself more clear.....

I have no issue with what you described, the way you are working it. I have no issue with someone that files a 9.5 that is overdispatched and does not want to work over 9.5. I do take issue with people that file and when I go look, I find them taking advantage of UPS. I have no mercy on those individuals!!....This happens more than people think! It seems that they go take a seminar taught by Red on how to screw UPS and not get caught.......but sooner or later they do!!

Beat'n Black n Brown

i have a pretty good group of drivers around me...that being said what about the guys who have slackers around them?we have a guy who is under dispatched every day ,but is 3 to 4 hours over everyday and the mgmt does nothing about it.....all his extra work is going to guys with a 10.5 or more day.....it's not thier fault they have to file is it?????

Bloodybrown

i have a pretty good group of drivers around me...that being said what about the guys who have slackers around them?we have a guy who is under dispatched every day ,but is 3 to 4 hours over everyday and the mgmt does nothing about it.....all his extra work is going to guys with a 10.5 or more day.....it's not thier fault they have to file is it?????

They guy you describe as the slacker, is the guy I go after!!......once I fix him or he leaves UPS....that takes care of the other guys around him right??......I have no love for management that let people take advantage of UPS by letting them slack off ! !

705red

Browncafe Steward
I have no issue with what you described, the way you are working it. I have no issue with someone that files a 9.5 that is overdispatched and does not want to work over 9.5. I do take issue with people that file and when I go look, I find them taking advantage of UPS. I have no mercy on those individuals!!....This happens more than people think! It seems that they go take a seminar taught by Red on how to screw UPS and not get caught.......but sooner or later they do!!
Actually i could save ups millions by holding a seminar on how not to screw the employees.

I can even teach a contract reading course, dumbied down to the third grade reading level so that mangement can understand it clearly, with little pictures drawn on the chalkboard if needed.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Actually i could save ups millions by holding a seminar on how not to screw the employees.

I can even teach a contract reading course, dumbied down to the third grade reading level so that mangement can understand it clearly, with little pictures drawn on the chalkboard if needed.

They would still find a way to screw it up. You can't make anything truly foolproof, because fools are so talented.

tieguy

Banned

Do you have someone amongst your 12000 members that actually advanced that far in school?

Bloodybrown

tie said it best ! !.....Red, I heard you were sent to maryville academy...did you ever graduate????

tourists24

Do you have someone amongst your 12000 members that actually advanced that far in school?
I really resent that remark Tie. I am a proud teamster and made it past 3rd grade thank you very much. I even went to the 4th grade 5 times I liked it so much. So lay off.

Chnandler Bong

Your right any 3 in a 5 day work week is triple time and its not dispatch its hours worked.

But you have to file to get it, correct? Is that the case with the opt in/out list as well, or do you get paid the extra automatically if you opt in? To me, if they can put a program in that pays a different rate after 8 hours, they can do the same for work after 9.5.

The contract clearly states the rules, why should we have to file a grievance to get the appropriate pay rate? The only grievance that should have to be filed should be a on a disputed payroll error or to stop excessive overtime if the employee isn't satisfied with getting the double/triple time.

705red

Browncafe Steward
But you have to file to get it, correct? Is that the case with the opt in/out list as well, or do you get paid the extra automatically if you opt in? To me, if they can put a program in that pays a different rate after 8 hours, they can do the same for work after 9.5.

The contract clearly states the rules, why should we have to file a grievance to get the appropriate pay rate? The only grievance that should have to be filed should be a on a disputed payroll error or to stop excessive overtime if the employee isn't satisfied with getting the double/triple time.
Ups saves money by violating the contract and hope that they dont get called on it.

I once filed grievances for a dozen sups working in one night, the manager than went on to tell me "you only caught 12? I have 70 sups on this shift". This cost him around $10,000 in sup working grievances over the next month or so. Never did file for 70 in one night but we got near 30 on several different nights.

Bloodybrown

Ups saves money by violating the contract and hope that they dont get called on it.

I once filed grievances for a dozen sups working in one night, the manager than went on to tell me "you only caught 12? I have 70 sups on this shift". This cost him around $10,000 in sup working grievances over the next month or so. Never did file for 70 in one night but we got near 30 on several different nights.

I sure hope you didn't write those 30 while you were on the clock!!.did you????