Late night deliveries

Packmule

So I sent dear Mom a bottle of wine for Christmas. She lives in the Southwest where it only snows on the high mountains here and there.
UPS guy knocked on her door at 10:20 pm.
She's a night owl, so she was up. But it did scare her.
Say what you will, but knocking on doors that late is just wrong. What if she opened that door to a criminal? Or happened to be thirty years younger and in bed because she had to get up early for work?
We got several texts through the board to be off by 10:00. I was always off by 8:00 latest, as it should be.
Obviously we need to call cut off on last minute pick ups way earlier than we did.

Packmule

No, it was the real stuff. And we just got this shipper back from FedEx after we cancelled it years ago because we thought it illegal.
Still, the wine ain't the point.

upschuck

If I delivered that late(never have), I wouldn't knock on the door, just hide it good. Never know who just got their 6 month old asleep.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So I sent dear Mom a bottle of wine for Christmas. She lives in the Southwest where it only snows on the high mountains here and there.
UPS guy knocked on her door at 10:20 pm.
She's a night owl, so she was up. But it did scare her.
Say what you will, but knocking on doors that late is just wrong. What if she opened that door to a criminal? Or happened to be thirty years younger and in bed because she had to get up early for work?
We got several texts through the board to be off by 10:00. I was always off by 8:00 latest, as it should be.
Obviously we need to call cut off on last minute pick ups way earlier than we did.

I have a personal rule that I refuse to make deliveries after 9:00 PM. I voluntarily extended that out to 9:30 on both Monday and Tuesday of this week for a few stops. Anything beyond that is totally inappropriate, totally unprofessional, and totally unsafe....especially in rural areas when the company is instructing us to walk off stops and stay out of residential driveways in order to reduce backs on a Telematics report.

upschuck

No, it was the real stuff. And we just got this shipper back from FedEx after we cancelled it years ago because we thought it illegal.
Still, the wine ain't the point.
If they are not certified through UPS, then they are an illegal UPS shipper of wine.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If I delivered that late(never have), I wouldn't knock on the door, just hide it good. Never know who just got their 6 month old asleep.
If its not appropriate to knock on the door, its not appropriate to make the delivery in the first place.

Imagine that you were a customer who paid extra money for 2nd Day Air delivery of an important package. How would you feel about "service" that consisted of a delivery person sneaking up on your porch at 10:30 at night, after you were in bed, and leaving a package (without knocking) that you wouldn't find until the following morning? Would you feel like you got the service you had paid for?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
With the title of this thread, I feel the need to post this food delivery advertisement.

eat24-hed-2013.jpg

JackStraw

Normally I have to get a signature for anything alcoholic(what a pain in the ass that is). I'm sure these people that sign up for the wine of the month club didn't realize what a PITA it would be for them either as they have to be home to sign for it. Perhaps that's why he knocked. As for being out at 10:20? Absurd.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Making deliveries at 10:20 or even 9:00 would be completely unheard of at my center. Is this something fairly widespread???

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
And if it is snowing you don't have to worry about hiding the delivery. They will find it in the Spring.
Sadly this happened last peak for me. The Sunday before Christmas last year I volunteered to deliver and it was a really flukey warm day to a point where I was wearing my summer uniform (in New England) and the snow melted enough that day that I found a barnes and noble package protruding from a melting mound of snow about 5 feet in front of the front steps. The PAL label had a date showing it had been SPAd in the first week of December (about two weeks prior).

I was horrified when I realized my lazy helper had just thrown the package near the front door without making it onto the steps or he had put it on the front steps without bothering to put the little package containing one small book inside the storm door before a snow storm then the homeowner had shoveled his steps without realizing there was a small package in the snow.

Packmule

Yes, signature was required. Point is, we aren't over the road truckers blowing down the highway all night. The 14 hour rule doesn't work for us. 11 max, but only if start time is by 9:00 latest.