Layoff days?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by HardknocksUPSer, Mar 18, 2015.

1. HardknocksUPSer

HardknocksUPSer Well-Known Member

If a center has a group of guys going driving (this summer) and new hires are being hired now (no spots open on the belt for new workers) does that mean some of the higher seniority loaders will most likely be asked if they want to take lay off days? Or will management wait till the guys go driving to train the new hires? I would imagine management would want to train the new hires as soon as possible to fill the spots of the loaders going driving? What effect will this have on the loaders already loading?

2. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

What the hell are you asking?? Asked to take lay off days...you mean asked if you want a day off?

3. HardknocksUPSer

If new people are being hired and there's no room for the new hires to work, what's goina happen?

4. HardknocksUPSer

I'm assuming the higher seniority guys will be asked if they want to take lay off days in order for the new hires to be trained in their spots?

5. bleedinbrown58

Who cares?? You made book...you show up and demand your 3.5....the new hires can go suck an appendage....it's not your problem.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Bottom rung

Bottom rung Active Member

He wants to know if the new employees will be trained before the one's who've won bids go full time. The answer is no. They will wait as long as possible to train them.

7. HardknocksUPSer

Lol on to the next question, can I be asked to move from the trucks I currently load? My trucks suck but it gives me 15mins extra each day.

8. HardknocksUPSer

Thank you, glad you understood.

9. bleedinbrown58

You can ask...but it's your center manager's decision to make.

10. HardknocksUPSer

Okay, thank you, that helps.

11. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Don't worry. Management will screw this up.

12. HardknocksUPSer

That's what I fear..

13. Oak

Oak Active Member

They can put you anywhere they like. However, a higher seniority employee can grieve the extra hours worked by a lesser seniority employee. You may have to ask to work till things are wrapped up? Check your supplement.

14. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

In my building the higher seniority people are always the first to leave or take days off.

15. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

Volunteer day off is top down, force lay off is bottom up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Richard Harrow

Richard Harrow Deplorable.

Check you contract. Your seniority may entitle you to the "more desirable" work assignment. "More desirable" is also your interpretation. Not managements.

17. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

The OP just started and barely has any seniority.

18. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Ymmv depending on local.

19. HardknocksUPSer

Only around a month seniority now, since I started as a free hire, but I'm quickly gaining more as people quit, go driving, and get fired.

20. You may be gaining seniority. But you will have a long way to go before you're near the top for PTers.