Load Rate of 400-500 Packages per hour

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Thanks for the tip. We have plenty in our PD. I take one if I need to when I'm alone. I thought load quality was supposed to be important but after loading with different sub sups and people from other PD's, not always the case.

It's hard when your the new guy. I agree safety is most important. Will work on getting them used to me using a load stand if I need to.
Maybe @Big Arrow Down...D can send you a pair of his platforms.

Brownies...mmm

Never Underestimate the Power of a Woman
I would say if you can hit 300 PPH fairly regularly then you'll be golden. I've been a loader for over 11 years and now as a combo I do unload / load for 10 to 12 hours a day. While I am able to go over 600 PPH when conditions allow, I find it best to set a pace that I am able to be comfortable with and end the night without being completely drained for the next day. Always make sure they are waxing your slides. If they are not and you're getting lots of jams because of it make sure to complain loudly and mention how it seriously affects your PPH. Watch your flow and learn to recognize specials. Although your pickoffs should alert the supervisors oftentimes you are the first line of defense and the sooner you ask for help the less damage will be wrought upon your area. If you are on rollers somewhat less than 300 PPH would be understandable especially when the packages are heavy which is a constant where I am at. Also if you're supposed to be in charge of several doors that will diminish your capability significantly as you want to make sure that you use three points of contact in and out of trailers and clear a path through the egress never stepping on boxes or bags. Hopefully this answers your question :-)

I'm working my way up to that. We always get jams. The steady flow of giant flat screens, baby strollers and what not. Not to mention broken rollers so I have to keep walking back and pushing boxes down to load. I just work through it.

Slow scanners and it constantly sliding off my fingers is also a pain. I am at about day 34 and just trying to work on the pace with the other stuff going on. Now that I don't get shifts cut like before it's been a bit better. Yes rollers and heavys are the norm for us too. I'm around 195-215. I do better when I'm alone. Everytime I hit 1000+ scans. I was alone most of the time. Switching trailers gets annoying but you do what you have to.

Dr.Brownz

I'm working my way up to that. We always get jams. The steady flow of giant flat screens, baby strollers and what not. Not to mention broken rollers so I have to keep walking back and pushing boxes down to load. I just work through it.

Slow scanners and it constantly sliding off my fingers is also a pain. I am at about day 34 and just trying to work on the pace with the other stuff going on. Now that I don't get shifts cut like before it's been a bit better. Yes rollers and heavys are the norm for us too. I'm around 195-215. I do better when I'm alone. Everytime I hit 1000+ scans. I was alone most of the time. Switching trailers gets annoying but you do what you have to.

The trick is not to care (about anything) and just work at a steady pace. If the belt jams oh well dont work extra hard to fix problems ups created for themselves.

Dr.Brownz

Load stand in each load for outbound sups is a come to work item, not a matter of opinion. If you see a load stand in your area when you start, bring it in to the trailer with you, end of story.

If someone stupid says something about it, you can simply ask, "So, you're telling me I'm NOT to use a load stand. Really?" That should be enough.

Oh wanting a load stand isnt just a game lazy union employees play???

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

195-215 how tall are you? Sounds like you could stand to lose a few lbs.

dudebro

Oh wanting a load stand isnt just a game lazy union employees play???
No. Who on earth ever said that? Load stands save money, and reduce injuries. How is a person who can only touch 90-96 inches off of the ground going to load a trailer 108 inches tall all the way to the roof?

Especially if you're in a load going far away, like California or Texas, the most cost effective thing a loader does, besides not get hurt, is load the trailer to the ceiling.

Dr.Brownz

No. Who on earth ever said that? Load stands save money, and reduce injuries. How is a person who can only touch 90-96 inches off of the ground going to load a trailer 108 inches tall all the way to the roof?

Especially if you're in a load going far away, like California or Texas, the most cost effective thing a loader does, besides not get hurt, is load the trailer to the ceiling.

Maybe you work in a good building or are just to nice and naive but most every sup I have encountered act exactly like that when you try to make an issue of , albeit small, but important safety practices. Esspecialy when it gets in the way of production. They do it more to the younger newer part timers but once you demand respect they learn not to try that bs on you. I try to educate new hires on this toxic dynamic ups has created

P700slave

Thats loading a box every 14 seconds. Thats not too bad. I loaded for 6 years. It depends where your loading area is on the belt, flow rate, bulk stops you load, average size and weight of boxes, ect....These all have an impact on how hard an area is to load.

dudebro

Maybe you work in a good building or are just to nice and naive but most every sup I have encountered act exactly like that when you try to make an issue of , albeit small, but important safety practices. Esspecialy when it gets in the way of production. They do it more to the younger newer part timers but once you demand respect they learn not to try that bs on you. I try to educate new hires on this toxic dynamic ups has created
I started in Meadowlands on the night sort in 1988. The first thing my FT ever said to me was what the **** was I doing - when I was drinking water. Things have changed a lot since then, but the stuff I talk about - worked in that environment once I'd been there awhile.

Brownies...mmm

Thats loading a box every 14 seconds. Thats not too bad. I loaded for 6 years. It depends where your loading area is on the belt, flow rate, bulk stops you load, average size and weight of boxes, ect....These all have an impact on how hard an area is to load.

The guys who have been there 12-16 years are always complaining about how many irregs are on the belt. Not to mention stopping for bad packages(mis sorts?) and interceptions. Which have to go right out. One night I got about 20-25 packages that didn't belong in our trailier an a 1 of 6 intercepthe. Had to keep stopping. Ugh

*Omg then we get bombed with soo...many bags of smalls. Lately we notice a lot of the bags weigh over 70 pounds, you can barely lift them up.

Ex UPS Stud

In the late 80s when I loaded at UPS the minimum was 600 packages/hour or you'd get written up. Most of us was able to do it. But then again back then we also walked to work, in the snow, uphill both ways, in Southern Cal.

Brownies...mmm

In the late 80s when I loaded at UPS the minimum was 600 packages/hour or you'd get written up. Most of us was able to do it. But then again back then we also walked to work, in the snow, uphill both ways, in Southern Cal.
We are probably still using the same roller lines from back then.

dudebro

We are probably still using the same roller lines from back then.

For inside the trailers? Actually, be glad we're not.

The aluminum ones with plastic rollers we have now, I hate them too, but they are a little easier to manage than the pure steel ones we had when I started.

I really think the LOA 24s were the best idea - some hubs have belts that extend into the trailer for loading, like most unload areas do - but we could never prove the increase in PPH so retrofitting all of the outbound doors never happened.