Looking for a Good Hand Gun Any Suggestions?

klein

Für Meno :)
Im glad you posted all of that.... hopefully everyone will read how unconcerned about these situations you are. Maybe in Canada the criminals are soft and care about people more than our criminals. Very naive to say how safe you feel as if nothing will happen to you. But like I said, if you are ok with it then I am too. Talking about shop owners just handing over their money and calling the cops. I know it is only money and property which can be replaced, but it goes deeper than that. This is someone taking something that isnt theirs and coming on to MY property to do harm (maybe not physical, but thats not the point). I promise you the bad guys have guns up there, maybe they are just nicer? If a criminal doesnt worry about breaking the law by robbery, what makes you think they care about breaking the law to get a gun? It may be harder to get since there are fewer guns, but they can get them. In that you may be right with more guns=more gun killing. But less guns=less crime? Less crime just because getting a gun is harder? Use your reports and statistics like you do, but I have the choice to carry if I like, you dont. You say you dont need one. It only takes one criminal with an illegally obtained gun to change that (they do have them if they really want it). If they outlawed handguns here, you think those people in LA are going to feel any safer?

Question: Is there any cause for you that you would be willing to die for if need be?

I actually co-owned a corner store here in Edmonton with my brother.
We knew, before we even opened, that we would get robbed at some point or time.
That's even here commen sense to assume that.
And we have once (in those 2 years). I'm honest and must say, I wasn't present when the robbery took place.
I came in, maybe 2 minutes after it had happened (from getting store supplies), cops 1 min. behind me.
I must admit, my brother was shaken up a little, he didn't even think the robbery was for real (thought someone was playing an aprilsfool joke on him).
We even made a half page in our local newspaper (Edmonton Sun), because I decided to tell them our story.
BUt, can't say, he or we were in streesed out over it.
We did get better, quicker and more alarms buttons set up, and also improved our surveliiance cameras.
And, yes, we didn't take our job as sleek as it once we thought it was.

But, thats part of the job. JUst like UPS drivers need to watch out for thier vehicle and the content at all times.
Fedex vehicles have stickers "we carry no cash" on thier doors.

But, yes, in the end insurance paid us out (rather quickly I add, too). The robber hasn;t been found though. Police had a trace dog on site... but it just lead to the backalley and went cold (meaning he had a getaway vehicle sitting there).

Reason we sold a year after that: Just not enough income to support the both of us. (and trust me - never get into business with family - doesn't work well).

There would be a lot of causes I would die for.
I would die for a lot of close people of mine, that have family and kids that love them. Take thier place instead (if it came to that)
Even volunteer, to be the hostage at a bank robbery or something like that.
I'm single.
Besides, I do believe in some sort of an afterlife(have my reasons). And being a good person all my life, may or may not pay out one of these days).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You guys are all welcome to come to my house (Klein, you bring the beer, and, City, I have indoor plumbing so you can pee inside) but leave your guns outside!! Thank you.

klein

You guys are all welcome to come to my house (Klein, you bring the beer, and, City, I have indoor plumbing so you can pee inside) but leave your guns outside!! Thank you.

NY has been on my wanna be travel list for some time, just not a priority.
But, think it's a must to see.
Never know, I might take you up on that.
I'll bring the beer (got to like Canadian made Budweiser better then Molson lately though.) But, I'll bring both for you to compare:happy2:

No worries, will never hold a gun. 911 and wait 3 minutes.. is better for me.

tourists24

NY has been on my wanna be travel list for some time, just not a priority.
But, think it's a must to see.
Never know, I might take you up on that.
I'll bring the beer (got to like Canadian made Budweiser better then Molson lately though.) But, I'll bring both for you to compare:happy2:

No worries, will never hold a gun. 911 and wait 3 minutes.. is better for me.
Nice handgun will take care of that 911 in 3 seconds.....

klein

Nice handgun will take care of that 911 in 3 seconds.....

LOL, I actually laughed out loud on that one ! Funny ! :)

But back to the facts : red who wrote he needs a handgun now, also wrote this :
I go to the back door and it is unlocked (probably because of my kids in and out all day and night).

So, it's okay to leave the doors unlocked, but incase someone does come thru that unlocked door, shoot him ! I need a gun, because I sleep with my doors unlocked !

As to Chicago (sorry, didn't see that posting until now), handguns being banned there. Well, what really good is that.? You see the city limit line, and throw out your gun ?
It's just a tiny little Island, that has implemented a good law.
But, no , it won't work. But, atleast they are at the forefront.
It's like saying no guns in my house allowed, but you can shoot outside.

Besides, who really wants to shoot a few teenagers that are breaking in ?
Call the cops, give them another chance.
Even if they are druggies and older, they don't deserve to die for a break-in.

What bothers me most is when people rape and murder young children.
I would personally shoot those myself !
But, a break-in or bank-robber. let him serve time, learn his lesson. Give it a second chance.
Some of the really good movies involve smart crooks...the biggest heists..
And when we watch them, we actually hope they get away with it.
Because they were soo darn smart !
But, yes, they didn't envolve invading personal properties and no damage to people.

tourists24

LOL, I actually laughed out loud on that one ! Funny ! :)

But back to the facts : red who wrote he needs a handgun now, also wrote this :

So, it's okay to leave the doors unlocked, but incase someone does come thru that unlocked door, shoot him ! I need a gun, because I sleep with my doors unlocked !

As to Chicago (sorry, didn't see that posting until now), handguns being banned there. Well, what really good is that.? You see the city limit line, and throw out your gun ?
It's just a tiny little Island, that has implemented a good law.
But, no , it won't work. But, atleast they are at the forefront.
It's like saying no guns in my house allowed, but you can shoot outside.

Besides, who really wants to shoot a few teenagers that are breaking in ?
Call the cops, give them another chance.
Even if they are druggies and older, they don't deserve to die for a break-in.

What bothers me most is when people rape and murder young children.
I would personally shoot those myself !
But, a break-in or bank-robber. let him serve time, learn his lesson. Give it a second chance.
Some of the really good movies involve smart crooks...the biggest heists..
And when we watch them, we actually hope they get away with it.
Because they were soo darn smart !
But, yes, they didn't envolve invading personal properties and no damage to people.
I agree leaving a door unlocked is irresponsible,,, hopefully it was accidental. But whether unlocked or not, dont come in my house for any reason unwelcomed. You have absolutely no reason to be there. Maybe this little scene says it best: I think someone has already posted this on BC, but it seems fitting

TEXAS MONTHLY TALKS - TED NUGENT

How long do we wait after someone breaks in before we are able to determine whether they are druggies or rapist,Klein?

Actually Klein,having guns in our house is doing God`s work. Break in and there will be an end to all the misery that befalls you.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It shouldn't make one bit of difference if my door is locked or unlocked. A lock won't stop someone who is determined to break in. Those that are welcome, know they are welcome. Those that try to come in with the intent of doing harm will be looking down the barrel of my 9. They know they are doing wrong and they do it anyway. It is their choice to commit a crime. It is my right to defend myself and my property. There is a huge difference between the 2.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So Saturday morning I was at Gander mountain applying for a FOID card and within a month I will be able to purchase a hand gun for home protection.

I have already purchased a key pad safe to protect the kids from getting their hands on it.

I was just wondering if there was anything special I should look into. I'm 6ft tall and 230 lbs. I looked at the selection they had and it is mind blowing on just how many choices are out there.

Thanks for any new input.

Sorry you live in a state that makes you fill out an ID card and wait a month to excercise a constitutional right. That is a big steaming load of BS. Here in Oregon you get an instant background check and leave the store with your gun.

GOOD JOB on getting the key pad safe to keep your kids from getting hold of the gun...since they probably have never seen or handled guns you want to make 100% sure they have no access to it while you are gone.

As far as what gun to buy, with both you and your wife having limited experience your best choice would be a .357 magnum or .38 Special revolver. Simple, reliable, effective and SAFE. The .357 is a better choice because it hits harder but it will also chamber and fire .38 special ammo which is cheaper to prectice with and has less recoil. A .38 special cannot chamber .357 rounds, so if you do buy a .38 make sure to load it with some +p 158 grain jacketed hollowpoints in order to maximize its stopping power potential.

klein

Here's an idiot who needs to stay the hell out of AZ. Hey, I have an idea, let's send him to Canada!:peaceful:

Actually, we could probably use him to our favour, since tourisum has gone down.
He owns a repectful big tourist travel company.

He could do good for us, promote us to Europeans and Asians, instead of them visiting the US.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Actually, we could probably use him to our favour, since tourisum has gone down.
He owns a repectful big tourist travel company.

He could do good for us, promote us to Europeans and Asians, instead of them visiting the US.
Works for me!:happy-very: