Low volume

When i came home from work today i got a call saying don't come in tomorrow (sat) because of low volume,see you Tuesday at 5:15 am.. Is this common at fedex ground?

By the way im a package handler, my off days are Sunday and Monday.

bacha29

When i came home from work today i got a call saying don't come in tomorrow (sat) because of low volume,see you Tuesday at 5:15 am.. Is this common at fedex ground?

It can get slow around this time of the year. The calm before the storm and speaking of storms the string of very strong thunderstorms currently going through the Mid Atlantic region with heavy rain could slow things down as well as the major computer breach that occurred this morning.

McFeely

Huge Member
Can you get report-in pay at Ground? Just say you didn't get the message if it was on voicemail (that is if you want the hours).

If not, enjoy the longer weekend!

Purplepackage

The end of October and beginning of November are generally slow, than hell breaks loose for what seems to be stretching from the end of November into early January now

It will be fine

They are probably ramping up hiring to prepare for peak. They expect a lot will quit. It sounds like they are overstaffed for now and if the engineers say they should run the sort with X people that's all they'll schedule. The only way to make sure you're on the schedule is to work hard when you're there, if you want the job that is.

bacha29

The end of October and beginning of November are generally slow, than hell breaks loose for what seems to be stretching from the end of November into early January now
Good point and now it seems to move into late January if the on line retailers have a lot of stuff on inventory and want to move it.

dex 84

I wish they would adjust staff for low volume ahead of time at Express. At my station at least they let us all come in and then see if anyone wants to go home without pay.

Yeah I'd love to drive to work and then back home and not get paid at all for my time...

McFeely

Huge Member
Yeah I'd love to drive to work and then back home and not get paid at all for my time...

Yup. That's why I at least go to work and get my punch-in done so that I'll get paid a minimum of 4 hours regardless of how long they need me. Report-in pay for the win!

One time I had a manager call me while I was driving in and told me they didn't need me. I had gotten up at 5am, gotten dressed, already driven 30 minutes towards the station, only to turn around and get paid $0. Not doing that again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yup. That's why I at least go to work and get my punch-in done so that I'll get paid a minimum of 4 hours regardless of how long they need me. Report-in pay for the win!

One time I had a manager call me while I was driving in and told me they didn't need me. I had gotten up at 5am, gotten dressed, already driven 30 minutes towards the station, only to turn around and get paid $0. Not doing that again.

This is where Caller ID comes in really handy.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

This is common to all the FedEx opcos. The solution is to look at the caller ID, or say you never got the message, and report to work. FedEx scams thousands of gullible employees every year with recorders, call-in requirements, etc.

Guess what? It isn't your problem if the truck or airplane doesn't show on-time, or if weather or whatever other excuse they come up with to not pay you.

This doesn't happen at union companies.

!Retired!

After one time 2 years ago, which is a long story I won't get into, I don't answer the phone on the way to work or on the way home if it has a managers or the station's phone number.

Purplepackage

I'll be getting my minimum 35 this week, no vacations and low volume for sure. But since I have so much to do its actually nice

whenIgetthere

After one time 2 years ago, which is a long story I won't get into, I don't answer the phone on the way to work or on the way home if it has a managers or the station's phone number.

I never answer the phone from a manager, ever. They can leave a message if I'm nit working, and use the power pad if I am.

dex 84

I'll answer it on the way to work, even if only to tell them that since I'm already on the way I'm going to just keep on driving in for my scheduled start.

Way home is another story...