Management Memo Shows Bosses Amok...

55andout?

Actually it doesn't! You can not use the new telematics, ods e, etc. When an interview is held using this i will not allow an employee to even speak and incriminate him/her self. You can sit back in your office and watch the system, but in order to discipline you have to put down the coffee cup, get up from the ergonomically correct chair and go out and visually witness these infractions in person.

You cant go from 5.2 billion in profits last year, to now state that we are on the verge of bankruptcy and begging congress for tax payer bail out money!

Red,

You know I love you but if the words you put in my mouth were food i wouldnt be as slim and trim as you are:funny:

Telematics is only a tool to help you find where to look and nothing more. Telematics will tell you if a driver is on maple street delivering with no seat belt on and the bulk head door open with his car idleing on Monday at 2:15 p.m. So on Tuesday or Wednesday is when the sup would go out there and wait on Maple to witness what telematics was showing him in the first place.

Also, I never said we are on the verge of bancrupcy. I said our company has always been engaged in running lean. Even when we were having years with record growth we were cutting back on districts or changing how MIP is given. This is a way to cut costs. These our just 2 examples of why our CEO is not in front of congress begging for taxpayer dollars, why we havent laid off thousands of workers in the last 12 months and why we will make money this year.

code5

We had a memo similar to that one from the Prez here in Canada. One part of it stated there will be zero tolerance for anyone going over 10.5 hrs per day. There were to be repremands if it happened leading to termination through progressive discipline.

A couple days after this happened, there was a huge storm in Eastern Canada. Freight was late, then on the day it all caught up to us, alas a page saying no one is to go over 11.5! I've always worked with management, but there is too many rules in place that is at the convenience of management and they feel they can break them if it suits their needs.

The only reason we have overtime freaks anyways is because UPS didn't mind handing out overtime like candy before. Employees got used to that paycheck, and certain employees will make sure they get that overtime now even without the work.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red,

You know I love you but if the words you put in my mouth were food i wouldnt be as slim and trim as you are:funny:

Telematics is only a tool to help you find where to look and nothing more. Telematics will tell you if a driver is on maple street delivering with no seat belt on and the bulk head door open with his car idleing on Monday at 2:15 p.m. So on Tuesday or Wednesday is when the sup would go out there and wait on Maple to witness what telematics was showing him in the first place.

Also, I never said we are on the verge of bancrupcy. I said our company has always been engaged in running lean. Even when we were having years with record growth we were cutting back on districts or changing how MIP is given. This is a way to cut costs. These our just 2 examples of why our CEO is not in front of congress begging for taxpayer dollars, why we havent laid off thousands of workers in the last 12 months and why we will make money this year.
I take that as a fat joke at me! And for that you will pay! Im big boned!

Cmon that letter is horse crap! You know you can not discipline a driver for working over 9.5, 10.5 etc. Every now and then ups jumps in with a new stupid rule, no over 11s, we see how that worked out. None of this can be used to discipline an employee. Why?

Because the first time you discipline an employee it will be your last! Every driver will bring the work back and be off the clock in 9.5/10.5, with hundreds of service failures!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Its the franklin park facility! Believe what you want, but this was introduced as evidence at a termination hearing. It shows that ups will and does single out to conspire to fire people!

Curious ... did the termination go through. This would be extraneous information that would have no bearing on the individual being disciplined.
Any UPSer that thinks UPS is not a rough and tumble place has not been in operations.
Agree with pretzl that the preconception that every center has a person to work on is poorly thought out.

AKCoverMan

Of course we are going to see knee jerk reactions from the company as volume trends down and we have 72 hours or more a day of cable TV news pouring out gloom and doom news about the economy.

I was picked one day a couple of weeks ago for a ride along by our CMs boss! We never see him in browns! He said it was becuase for the prior week I had been 2.5 over allowed or more every day. He didn't say it in so many words but I got the feeling we was mandated from even further up the food chain to find the driver with the most over allowed the week before and do a ride along with him. Someone had to be on the top of that list and that week it was me.

The week that I was over so much I was covering a good route that I know well and was finishing every day about 1700 every day; but at the same time the dispatcher had been cutting a route in one of the other loops (our 100 loop) out of our building and sending the other three drivers in that loop out in the red. So everyday I would finish the route I was covering then the center would have me go over and do a driver meet and help one of the 100 loop drivers.

There is of course no additional allowed time to call the other driver, find him on his area and meet up, transfer packages, then get to the area he just kicked to you and start delivering. Your over allowed goes thru the roof.

The day of my ride along I was on the same route I had covered the week I was so over allowed but did not help anyone after. Amazinging I came in with acceptable numbers that day. I did not do anything spectacular or different I just did not go help anyone when we were finished.

I have noticed they are not so quick to cut that route in the 100 loop anymore.

Oh and the boss bought my lunch. All in all it was a pleasant day, this is not one of the "beat down" type bosses.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Curious ... did the termination go through. This would be extraneous information that would have no bearing on the individual being disciplined.
Any UPSer that thinks UPS is not a rough and tumble place has not been in operations.
Agree with pretzl that the preconception that every center has a person to work on is poorly thought out.
Are you kidding me? We have a tape of labor managers threatening to fire one of our agents the day he steps back in as a ups employee!

The labor guys walked in to a room that was being used for negotiations with another division of the teamsters. There was a voice activated recording device that was activated when they started talking.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Are you kidding me? We have a tape of labor managers threatening to fire one of our agents the day he steps back in as a ups employee!

The labor guys walked in to a room that was being used for negotiations with another division of the teamsters. There was a voice activated recording device that was activated when they started talking.

Sorry Red, I did not get the point of your quote above.
Does this mean the termination was not upheld ... that is, the union-employee got their job back?

tieguy

Banned
I believe the memo is real. I think the line about lunch and break and "drivers scamming" was very poor, but not for the reason you may see.

If the memo said that we need to document any drivers that are misusing their lunch and break periods and apply appropriate discipline, I would have been fine with it. Even the point of making an example of them may have sat better with me.

By forcing each center to find a driver I think is wrong. There certainly can be a center without a lunch / break problem. I would have asked each center to look, but not for each to fine one.

While I still believe the vast majority of our drivers do things correctly, there are a % that don't. I've seen it many times with telematics and other reports.

I don't support a supervisor abusing their position and you shouldn't support a driver abusing their's either. (Of course, I do believe that a poor supervisor has a much worse impact on UPS than does a poor driver).

As far as AMEX goes, it makes sense to me. He wants to reduce the division budget overall for expense account spending. Supervisor use of AMEX is only a portion of that.

We need to keep service high (Its at its highest level in our history right now.) We also need to reduce cost agressively.

Don't ignore his last line:

"I know there are going to be a lot of questions/concerns over all these. All I can say is we need to take a hard look at everything we do and ask why? We need to do our part to support the company, so we'll all have jobs in [FONT=&quot]the future. Is it easy...heck, no, but who said life was easy...Many times the hardest thing and the right thing are the same ... Any questions, let me know ... "[/FONT]

He's sending a message that all supervisors have to look at and impact cost. That's our job.

With the exception of a stupid line, I didn't have a problem with this.

P-Man

I don't doubt the form started out as ours . I believe it was then doctored to suit TDU's needs.

drewed

Shankman
Oh and the boss bought my lunch. All in all it was a pleasant day, this is not one of the "beat down" type bosses.

Youve never seen him in Browns? I remember a couple times when he was the center manager that he wore browns....and hes suited up a couple times during peak the past couple years!

But all the same hes not a beat down boss, hes tough but fair and has always seemed to appreciate the effort and hardwork people put out.

tieguy

Banned
I take it from your response that you would like me to video tape management being dishonest themselves!

No problem there! Once i turn on the camcorder in the building it shouldnt take more then a few minutes of tape!!

good keep the camera running when you start making some side deals for personal benifit.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red,

I give you a standing invite to come to my center at anytime and ask any of my drivers about personal time. All will tell you that I have asked them about personal time, that I have discouraged them from putting in lunch when they do not take one, and that I tell them that no matter how busy they might be that I want them to at least sit for 5 or 10 minutes, call your wife,"grab a Coke and a smile." Its for their own safety and attitude that I stress this to them.

So to answer your question no I do not agree. The discipline should be with the driver who takes personal time and does not record it. The discipline should also be with the sup who tries to "make" the driver put in a lunch only to stay off of a report. Most of the 80 plus drivers in my center do it correctly, some do not. Its my job to change their behavior. The ones that dont hurt their fellow driver and the company who gave them their job to begin with.

But yes come on down and ask, I am on vacation this week. Let me know how it goes when I get back. You would love the routine I go through when a driver tells me he doesnt want to take a lunch. I'ts a roll play and it usually makes them laugh.
What about your buddy that was/is telling people to falsify delivery records? You know what i am talking about! We have several greivances on it where drivers are told to sheet nda's closed before commit, or scan them before commit time and drive there past commit time?!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I don't doubt the form started out as ours . I believe it was then doctored to suit TDU's needs.

Thats the form the way it was received. I have the same copy that has been posted on tdu's website. So its impossible for tdu to doctor it!

good keep the camera running when you start making some side deals for personal benifit.
If the camera just happens to catch the boss's wife calling me, i just want to be clear! Its not benefiting me, it benefits her to call!:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
Thats the form the way it was received. I have the same copy that has been posted on tdu's website. So its impossible for tdu to doctor it!

you guys all have the same doctored form. Never had the authors name and office on it but yet the guy who sent it said call me with any questions. I guess by leaving his name off the form he was avoiding those questions.:happy-very:

705red

Browncafe Steward
you guys all have the same doctored form. Never had the authors name and office on it but yet the guy who sent it said call me with any questions. I guess by leaving his name off the form he was avoiding those questions.:happy-very:
I guess you have first hand knowledge of this form from chicago all the way from maryland? Cmon tie!

Admit when one of your fellow managers is a maroon!

island1fox

PICKY !!! pICKY !!!! or should I say Piggy --Piggy.

How about some common sense !!!!! Must you pick apart and misconstrue everything.
Every company in America including UPS is fighting for survival and trying to protect all jobs mgmt and union.
On one hand the union cries about and files grievances for drivers working over 9.5 -----this memo say that no driver should work over 10.5 --IS THAT BAD ????
Part timers are --part time and should not work over 5.0 hrs ???? Thats what the business agents say !!! --What is the problem.
There are always in life --least best or --worst --mgmt and union . The drivers know themselves who the "slackers" are----- give me a break.
Cutting down on expense accounts ?????
Try to reduce expense and protect all jobs --and this is the stupid over-reaction you get ---- why not try to help --rather than pick apart every word and idea ---- some people are not satisfied until UPS will be in the same shape as the car companies !!! Grow up --get a life ---Thank ups your Union and God that you work for such an excellent company.:wink2:
Chill out !!!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I guess this memo does a good job of portraying what the essence of management is about.

I guess the more I look at this, the items that would rankle me is the micromanagement attitude of this division manager towards the center managers.

Also, what strikes me is the inability of this person to arrange and prioritize what his/her managers are to concentrate their efforts. This memo is all over the place and probably 3 times too much stuff to communicate at one time. I personally never try to have more than 3 things in a memo like this.

There is a direct contradiction in that the division manager is telling the center managers to concentrate on and the expectation of their ability to execute this obtuse list of things to do.

Hopefully the center managers are experienced enough to understand what is important and what to disregard.

This filtering is an important responsibility of a manager and even more so of the division manager. I can only imagine what the division manager gets directions on from the district manager.