Management Telling Us No More Cursing

UnconTROLLed

perfection
its rather amusing since the other day our PCM was about stress and releasing stress! I guess we all need to go get doctor notes saying that swearing helps release anger and stress which is beneficial to my health! I can see the directions on that prescription, swear as :censored2: much as u like before, during, and after a meal. Swear with or without water. Repeat when necessary. If irritation occurs, swear some more.

Heh - yes, appreciated that PCM. Just another example of a company that pushes its propaganda but does not practice what it preaches. Full-time sups and pt sups swearing at each other like they don't know any other words in our hub, yet in others they want to filter the language like it's the PMRC

Then the poor conditions, egress, hazards, add to that stress that they so want to tell you how to "cope with". It is what it is, though.

herbigharo32

You know, one of my biggest pet peeves is excessive cussing while on duty. My day job is working for a retailer. This happens both at UPS and my day job. Being a former supervisor for small airport retail, I can testify to many occasions where customer complaints would come in due to bad mouthing. One secrete shopper report stated that an employee was on his cell phone explaining to his mate how he wanted to perform oral sex on her. He had his speaker phone on. Suffice to say, I wrote to HR that he should be let go. Stomping around and tossing the Ef bomb is not a good idea.

UPS Lifer

Hi all.

I really don't know about the validity of this new code conduct, but I was just told today that starting next week, no one is allowed to speak any obscenities, while on the floor, and doing so can lead to termination. This puzzles me because management curse more than anyone else there. The same sup said that people have already been fired from Cach for this violation. I really hope this isn't true, but if it is, I'm going to ask for a list of words that aren't allowed to be used, AND I want these words brought up to everyone during PCM so there are no mix ups :happy2:

Almost forgot, he also stated that the reason this rule was enacted was to provide a less intimidating workplace, apparently because they want to hire more women. Anyone else hearing about this?

Valid - yes

This is not a new policy to UPS. It comes under the "Workplace Violence" policy. For some people profanity is just part of the language. Other people tolerate it but don't like it and there are those people who cannot tolerate the language.

UPS has a responsibility to provide a work environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment and aggressive behavior that can lead to workplace violence.

Usually this policy gets noticed because something happened such as the use of profanity which escalated into a violent confrontation.

The first step to enforcement is education. It starts with the District HR dept and is enforced with consistency throughout all departments. However, "at risk" operations such as preloads and hub/local sorts get priority exposure. These are the operations where most of the violations occur.

Back in 2000, I was personally reviewing the policy with employees who violated it on a regular basis (at least 2 times a week). Much of the discipline came in the supervisor ranks. I got to the point that I almost had the policy memorized!

To be effective, the policy must be practiced by the manager and then enforced with the supervisors who in turn educate the employees. It is no different than the policy on sexual harassment. Discipline depend on the severity of an infraction of the policy. But it always starts with education.

I had a truck driver mouth years ago. It infringes on our ability to lead and I soon realized that I had to lead by example. I have found that once you apply self-discipline, it is easy to curtail the profanity and use other words or expressions to make your point or express a thought.

Over a period of time, those of you who know what it was like before will notice a change in the work environment for the better. The more professional your work environment, the easier it is to communicate and make progress toward reducing conflict.

satron82

Valid - yes

This is not a new policy to UPS. It comes under the "Workplace Violence" policy. For some people profanity is just part of the language. Other people tolerate it but don't like it and there are those people who cannot tolerate the language.

UPS has a responsibility to provide a work environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment and aggressive behavior that can lead to workplace violence.

Usually this policy gets noticed because something happened such as the use of profanity which escalated into a violent confrontation.

The first step to enforcement is education. It starts with the District HR dept and is enforced with consistency throughout all departments. However, "at risk" operations such as preloads and hub/local sorts get priority exposure. These are the operations where most of the violations occur.

Back in 2000, I was personally reviewing the policy with employees who violated it on a regular basis (at least 2 times a week). Much of the discipline came in the supervisor ranks. I got to the point that I almost had the policy memorized!

To be effective, the policy must be practiced by the manager and then enforced with the supervisors who in turn educate the employees. It is no different than the policy on sexual harassment. Discipline depend on the severity of an infraction of the policy. But it always starts with education.

I had a truck driver mouth years ago. It infringes on our ability to lead and I soon realized that I had to lead by example. I have found that once you apply self-discipline, it is easy to curtail the profanity and use other words or expressions to make your point or express a thought.

Over a period of time, those of you who know what it was like before will notice a change in the work environment for the better. The more professional your work environment, the easier it is to communicate and make progress toward reducing conflict.

It may be implicated by what is considered workplace violence, but what was told to me last week was that they were going to start being very proactive about cracking down on the violation.

I haven't been to work this week(forgot I was on vacation), but I'm very skeptical about this new enforcement. The sup who told me this turns out to be, in my estimation along with opinions of others, not a reliable source of info. In fact, you could say I jumped the gun saying that this situation at my workplace was possibly eminent. How could a management team cut down on obscene remarks when they can't even get people to get off their cell phones when on the line?

Last edited by a moderator:

UPS Lifer

It may be implicated by what is considered workplace violence, but what was told to me last week was that they were going to start being very proactive about cracking down on the violation.

I haven't been to work this week(forgot I was on vacation), but I'm very skeptical about this new enforcement. The sup who told me this turns out to be, in my estimation along with opinions of others, not a reliable source of info. In fact, you could say I jumped the gun saying that this situation at my workplace was possibly eminent. How could a management team cut down on obscene remarks when they can't even get people to get off their cell phones when on the line?

I agree with you. It takes an effective management team to make things work in any operation. AND it takes a management team who buys into the top down philosophy. If the team does not buy into it it takes a division manager to hold them accountable. If no one is holding the management team accountable then you probably don't have anything to worry about.

I personally buy into it. I watched the before and after effect.

As for the cell phone thing.... Put a supervisor out in the area and look for violations. I did this with drivers leaving keys in the ignition or bulkheads open. You don't have to discipline every driver but go out there and take on a driver and get a commitment then talk about it (without bringing up the driver's name) in a PCM. Do it again - you will get their attention.
We had the same problem with seat belts years ago. This got fixed.

If a driver gets in an accident using a cell phone - you bet someone is going to get fired for gross negligence. Do you want to be the one fighting for your job?