Mandatory Saturday sort?

clean hairy

If it were me, I would first approach my sup and mention Graduation on Sat, and I will not be on Saturday.
If he or she raises a stink about coming to work Sat or else, I would then contact the union to handle it.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Talk to your supervisor. I don't know how it is in other places, but I don't know a sup in my building that wouldn't understand you wanting to take a day for your college graduation.

Congratulations.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
How does UPS get away with paying straight time on a sixth day?

Article 63 of the Atlantic Area supplement.

From Section 1: "Part time employees who work a sixth day shall be paid at the straight time rate."

Additionally: "Part time employees may be worked any period Sunday through Saturday."

nj2015

One of the managers went around last Friday w/the clipboard. Walking down the sort aisle, I knew what he was saying to guys. He gets to me, with a dead-serious face, "we're working tomorrow 5-8." In my mind, I'm saying "haha, friend- you" but I was more congenial about it. Simply asked "Is it mandatory?" He hedged, saying "It's time-and-a-half, 5-8." I repeated, "Is. It. Mandatory?" He was forced to admit "Well, no, but that's why we're paying time-and-a-half, to get people in here." My answer was "Well I can't do it." He said ok and kept walking.

They announce start time by us several times during the shift, so it's tough to not know; they also post it by all the time computers. If you hadn't called for the start time, how would you have known to work the extra day then? I'm just curious.