Mirrors

S

serenity now

We have a mirror check station here, very few have ever used it. Did you know there is now a standard for mirror position? Think it's 18/22/51, refers to where the mirrors should be at in the bottom inside corner of upper mirror and top inside of lower mirror at the check station. Left side target is 18" from ground, right side target is 51" both are 22ft from mirror at rear of vehicle. Going to check them when they do my next safety ride, just to PO see how to oncar reacts.

our safety guy wasted about 10 minutes of my time one morning going through that procedure * in the end he was able to check me off his list and i reset the mirrors before leaving the yard * whatever

Notretiredyet

We also have the strips of tape on doorjamb, but what does a coverage driver do? He may be a different height or set his seat in a different position, should he go thru the check station every time he gets in a new truck? Our flavor last week was about how to get your handcart into the truck, Liberty Mutual really has some bonehead ideas on doing that.

kingOFchester

I would think they would be more effective than picking and choosing when to follow a safety directive. Just sayin'.

I pick and choose when to follow a safety directive that puts my body at risk. I will not blindly stick my hand out into traffic to save a mirror. Have had this discussion with my current Sups and past Sups, and not one of them fought me on the issue.

The yellow strips are ineffective. The only way they would be useful is if UPS installed Design Evey Reference Point -DERP, (used in airplanes for pilots) and all the seats in the trucks were adjustable up, down, forward and backwards.

You have got to be the most annoying poster on BC. Just sayin'

oldngray

nowhere special
We were supposed to have a mirror check station, had PCM's about it and all, but it didn't really exist. Just lip service to safety about something that didn't exist in the real world.

kingOFchester

We also have the strips of tape on doorjamb, but what does a coverage driver do? He may be a different height or set his seat in a different position, should he go thru the check station every time he gets in a new truck? Our flavor last week was about how to get your handcart into the truck, Liberty Mutual really has some bonehead ideas on doing that.

Your yellow tape was applied at a location determined by where you sit? In my building they use a standard height. Tape is applied at the same height for all vehicles in the same size class.

S

serenity now

i don't need a piece of tape to guide me in adjusting my mirrors at the optimum setting for me

oldngray

nowhere special
I do agree the mirror settings some IE guy sitting in an office determined to be the optimum are NOT how most people should set their mirrors.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
They are my mirrors, I like them where I like them, I don't care what UPS says they should be set at. And yes, I get bent outta shape when somebody moves MY mirrors. I carry wrenches, and have been know to spend 20 minutes getting my mirrors where I like them.

S

serenity now

They are my mirrors, I like them where I like them, I don't care what UPS says they should be set at. And yes, I get bent outta shape when somebody moves MY mirrors. I carry wrenches, and have been know to spend 20 minutes getting my mirrors where I like them.

one of our pkg. drivers has a note card taped to his dash that reads : Don't even think about touching my mirrors!

oldngray

nowhere special
It's really freaking annoying when someone doing car shift in building adjusts the seat and mirrors the way he likes and drives a couple of hundred yards then every morning I had to spend all that time setting everything back the way it should be.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would have to think that having properly adjusted mirrors on a feeder is much more important than on a pkg car.

one of our pkg. drivers has a note card taped to his dash that reads : Don't even think about touching my mirrors!

...at which point I and most of my co-workers would make it a point to "adjust" them every chance that we got...