Misloads and The Policy

tieguy

Banned
why isn't there a utility driver shuttling those misloads?

also tie it isn't only the preloader's fault. sometimes the PAL label is wrong.

that being said- when i preloaded misloads were never a problem if you paid attention to what you were doing. i think what happens is that some preloaders zone out while they are working and walk into the wrong truck.

also misloads tend to happen when you move preloaders around. i've seen 4 different people load one brown throughout a shift.

Its really simple , why should the company pay you twice to do the same job? There is no misload shuttle if your people do the job the right way the first time.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Its really simple , why should the company pay you twice to do the same job? There is no misload shuttle if your people do the job the right way the first time.
Lets see you load 5 trucks and 2000 pieces every day without a mistake. Ever. You guys can't manage that with paper, let alone packages.

washington57

you really aren't being fair here. ups has an acceptable misload rate. if you think mistakes never happen and want to hold the union to that then i expect to never have a payroll issue again.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Lets see you load 5 trucks and 2000 pieces every day without a mistake. Ever. You guys can't manage that with paper, let alone packages.

Exactly...I am not asking you to be perfect either...but you cannot have 3 or 4 misloads a day either.

Still won't pay another employee to go get them.

curiousbrain

How many times do I need to train/retrain you to read a PAL label? Once maybe twice, after that you get held accountable. Along with the thank you's, nice job, outstanding! we have done a ton of positive re-inforcement (ask finance) the only thing we have not done is send out the letters as you have mentioned.

How many times does preload have to explain that when you pile boxes 3+ high on the belt, that Jesus himself will get confused; add to that the fact that supervisors constantly berate you for missing packages when you do try to be careful, and you can understand why some people hustle faster then is "safe".

Once, maybe twice - after that, you get held accountable by preload's inability to meet the outrageous expectations vis a vis misloads.

Kudo's on your positive reinforcement; need more like you, then.

Exactly...I am not asking you to be perfect either...but you cannot have 3 or 4 misloads a day either.

You can't push a million packages in the first hour, either.

The overriding point here is that, in an ideal world, there would be no misloads. But, honestly, an ideal world only matters in Disney films.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
if your logic is right then you could double the number of union jobs by having your preloaders missort every package. Your union labor was paid to load the package on the correct car. fixing your union labors mistakes to make service on a package should not generate additional requests for pay.

Most of the missed or misloaded packages come from your screwed up PAS/EDD system. I would be very interested to see the actaul number comparison of misload/missed packages with EDD and Before EDD. I would betit has increased at least 15% since the implementation of this perfect system.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most of the missed or misloaded packages come from your screwed up PAS/EDD system. I would be very interested to see the actaul number comparison of misload/missed packages with EDD and Before EDD. I would betit has increased at least 15% since the implementation of this perfect system.

This is not the case in my center. Most of the misloads are preloader errors. The only time misloads occur because of PAS/EDD errors is when the SPA person gets out of sync.

My preloader loads 3 cars--mine and two for areas 1 hour from the center. This is where the majority of his misloads occur--between cars--so running off these misloads takes at least 2 1/2 hours. He was averaging 1-2 per day until he was moved to load package cars that all delivered in the same zip code so that any misloads would be much easier to run off.

Few if any of the preloaders check the PAL against the address label.

menotyou

bella amicizia
This is not the case in my center. Most of the misloads are preloader errors. The only time misloads occur because of PAS/EDD errors is when the SPA person gets out of sync.

My preloader loads 3 cars--mine and two for areas 1 hour from the center. This is where the majority of his misloads occur--between cars--so running off these misloads takes at least 2 1/2 hours. He was averaging 1-2 per day until he was moved to load package cars that all delivered in the same zip code so that any misloads would be much easier to run off.

Few if any of the preloaders check the PAL against the address label.
Have you gone in during the shift to see if he is given time to double check PAL to address? In my center, the newbies aren't even taught that. LOAD BY PAL, PERIOD. With 15 min of training, too. I loaded by address with a stop counter, then moved to PAS system. Rarely a missload. Give me back the old way, any day. It is very easy to sit back and point fingers. Neither supervisor on my preload can load. I watched one load by pitching packages over her head, then making the drivers load their own cars from the pile she created. The dispatcher just cuts each truck in half when he had to load,forcing the other preloaders to load more than they would normally(potential missloads) then does add/cuts at the end to put the stops back on the correct cars and makes preloaders fix his mess. And he still misloads 40-50 per car. That adds to the mess that the preloaders are forced to clean up at 8:25am.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Have you gone in during the shift to see if he is given time to double check PAL to address? In my center, the newbies aren't even taught that. LOAD BY PAL, PERIOD. With 15 min of training, too. I loaded by address with a stop counter, then moved to PAS system. Rarely a missload. Give me back the old way, any day. It is very easy to sit back and point fingers. Neither supervisor on my preload can load. I watched one load by pitching packages over her head, then making the drivers load their own cars from the pile she created. The dispatcher just cuts each truck in half when he had to load,forcing the other preloaders to load more than they would normally(potential missloads) then does add/cuts at the end to put the stops back on the correct cars and makes preloaders fix his mess. And he still misloads 40-50 per car. That adds to the mess that the preloaders are forced to clean up at 8:25am.

Let me start by saying that I would be hard pressed at my age to keep up with the physical pace of a preloader's job. (I turn 50 on Sunday) However, that is not the case with Matt, who is a long distance runner in excellent shape. When I walk up to my car in the morning it is usually stacked out, as are the other two, and Matt is either joking with his co-workers or texting. The supervisors grew tired of having to drive 2 1/2 hours almost daily to run off his misloads. They also grew tired of me complaining about his poor loads and realized that it would be easier to move him to load cars that all delivered in the same zip code. My new loader (Lisa) has not had a lane number misload since taking over. She has had misloads within the car but I can deal with those.

I do realize that preloaders are asked to do more in less time and am sensitive to that but what I cannot tolerate are misloads when the loader clearly has the time to go through the cars to check for misloads or to tighten the loads. Text on your own time.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Let me start by saying that I would be hard pressed at my age to keep up with the physical pace of a preloader's job. (I turn 50 on Sunday) However, that is not the case with Matt, who is a long distance runner in excellent shape. When I walk up to my car in the morning it is usually stacked out, as are the other two, and Matt is either joking with his co-workers or texting. The supervisors grew tired of having to drive 2 1/2 hours almost daily to run off his misloads. They also grew tired of me complaining about his poor loads and realized that it would be easier to move him to load cars that all delivered in the same zip code. My new loader (Lisa) has not had a lane number misload since taking over. She has had misloads within the car but I can deal with those.

I do realize that preloaders are asked to do more in less time and am sensitive to that but what I cannot tolerate are misloads when the loader clearly has the time to go through the cars to check for misloads or to tighten the loads. Text on your own time.

Check for misloads, in a crammed in 700 or 1000 blown out? You can't see inside the pkg cars in any of the bldgs I've worked even with the dome lights. Sure, you can check for misloads but you won't be able to see 1/2 the pkgs. Is it worth it? Sure. But it's not going to eliminate all misloads, maybe a few here and there.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
honestly, our PT sup is one of the best around. Not many people agree with me but I think he's great.

What our PT preload sup does (well one of the several), he is very easy going and explains how to do the job in the most simple way. He doesn't panic or stress when explaining or demoing. He's cool, calm and collect and this is very very easy to understand and also realize how to apply what he says.

Too many PT supervisors are edgy, fast talking, arrogant and well hypocritical. Our PT sup is the opposite and it is very refreshing and he has my respect (which is is more than I can say for most management)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our PT preload sups are worthless. One spends the whole shift texting and the other was a multiple quota hire. The dispatch sup doubles as the preload sup and could really use some help.

menotyou

bella amicizia

I agree 100% with that. I wasn't sure if they were all out or just screwing around. That does burn my ass. I fight so hard for them and they turn around and find a way to be stupid. Not all,Thank God. My loader is lovely.(Hey Shaun!)

curiousbrain

Check for misloads, in a crammed in 700 or 1000 blown out? You can't see inside the pkg cars in any of the bldgs I've worked even with the dome lights. Sure, you can check for misloads but you won't be able to see 1/2 the pkgs. Is it worth it? Sure. But it's not going to eliminate all misloads, maybe a few here and there.

Agreed; this is a common problem I run into, as well. I'll revisit each of the cars I'm loading during the first part of the day, but after they become packed it requires an increasing amount of time which I just don't have; so, I end up managing the time ratio of checking for misloads versus putting the boxes in the truck so it's not all stacked out when the driver arrives.

My personal disdain for texting aside, it stands to reason that this would be one of the situations for a supervisor/manager to do their job; I work hard all morning and it annoys me as a fellow hourly worker when I'm sweating like crazy and I hear a bunch of laughing and similar garbage when the belt is still full. If it's that funny or what not, you'll still remember when the day is over. And if you have no work to keep you busy, help someone else close to you (or check for misloads, as the case may be).

Although, I'm still new ... plenty of time to lose my current perspective on things.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I agree 100% with that. I wasn't sure if they were all out or just screwing around. That does burn my ass. I fight so hard for them and they turn around and find a way to be stupid. Not all,Thank God. My loader is lovely.(Hey Shaun!)

You need some help getting a date with em??