Monday announcement?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My Monday announcement was that I received 3 new pick ups. DHL lost the Darden Rest. account and we got it. I have 3 Darden restaurants on my route. Longhorn, Olive Garden and Red Lobster. Very Nice!

helenofcalifornia

In the news today was an article stating that Russia, Quatar (sp?) and Iran wanted to form an oil cartel. Do we really need anymore incentive for alternative fuels and the necessity to get off of our oil-driven ways???

Invest money today in technology and research that can produce a self-sustaining fuel/power for Americans in the future. Bring on the hybrids!!

satellitedriver

In the news today was an article stating that Russia, Quatar (sp?) and Iran wanted to form an oil cartel. Do we really need anymore incentive for alternative fuels and the necessity to get off of our oil-driven ways???

Invest money today in technology and research that can produce a self-sustaining fuel/power for Americans in the future. Bring on the hybrids!!
Where did you get your news?
I haven't heard that one.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Time to break out the Schwinn, Helen.

drewed

Shankman
With the exception of Russia theyre all OPEC nations it wouldnt be make sense to lose its ability to push us over the barrel..... unless they wanted to produce more and undercut OPEC prices....which still wouldnt make sense since we're going to buy it if its 60 dollars a barrel or 200.

705red

Browncafe Steward
With the exception of Russia theyre all OPEC nations it wouldnt be make sense to lose its ability to push us over the barrel..... unless they wanted to produce more and undercut OPEC prices....which still wouldnt make sense since we're going to buy it if its 60 dollars a barrel or 200.
remember drewed can see russia from his bedroom!

brownhorn

I have actually been in a hybrid P7 for a little over a year now, part of the pilot study program the company used to determine if they wanted to go this route. It's a pretty cool car, but it takes some getting used to. To start with, when starting the car, you have to turn the key slightly to the right and let the engine cycle through its various checks. When the dash lights go off, you can start the car. You have to feather the accelerator to get it to gain speed. Sounds crazy, but it works. It also brakes on its own when you take your foot off the gas, kind of like hyper-miling. I was able to get 15 or so MPG following the methods. Other drivers who drove their hybrid like a normal package car didn't get the same results. It has an automatic transmission and power steering which is awesome. Get used to questions about it from customers, though. Talk to your mechanic and get a cursory understanding of how the electric motor supplements the diesel. Everybody wants to know how it works.

brownhorn

To my knowledge, they haven't changed the time allowances. There's only one number in the WOR I give a rip about though: hours paid!

BigBrownSanta

They are looking to start a natural gas cartel. The story was on CNN.com.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Last time i pulled my scwinn out I got into trouble.

I guess Schwinn and Schwanz sound the same.

I have actually been in a hybrid P7 for a little over a year now, part of the pilot study program the company used to determine if they wanted to go this route. It's a pretty cool car, but it takes some getting used to. To start with, when starting the car, you have to turn the key slightly to the right and let the engine cycle through its various checks. When the dash lights go off, you can start the car. You have to feather the accelerator to get it to gain speed. Sounds crazy, but it works. It also brakes on its own when you take your foot off the gas, kind of like hyper-miling. I was able to get 15 or so MPG following the methods. Other drivers who drove their hybrid like a normal package car didn't get the same results. It has an automatic transmission and power steering which is awesome. Get used to questions about it from customers, though. Talk to your mechanic and get a cursory understanding of how the electric motor supplements the diesel. Everybody wants to know how it works.

Do you have to start it this way each time? I'm used to getting in and going, That would take some getting used to.

brownhorn

yeah, it takes about 5 seconds for the engine to go through its cycle; it's about enough time to sit down, release the park brake, fasten your seat belt, check your rear view mirror and glance over your left shoulder. It's really not that big of a deal. I have heard that the P12 hybrid is more finicky than the P7 though. I also was in a P8 prior to getting the hybrid, so the power steering, lower step, and automatic transmission offset any negatives from the new car.

satellitedriver

Wow, 15mpg?
My 1988 P5 with 700,000 miles on it gets 11 mpg.
I crank it and floor it.
No real savings in time spent, or the cost of the vehicle.
Not to mention, the added cost of maintenance of all the fancy do dads that lose time.
I want more fuel efficient vehicles at UPS and your description of starting the vehicle makes me wonder if this is the right way to approach the problem.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I want more fuel efficient vehicles at UPS and your description of starting the vehicle makes me wonder if this is the right way to approach the problem.

I haven't driven in four years next month. The cost of gas has been the latest reason.

In any event....we're getting there with the cars. It takes several years for new innovations to get to the market. I worked for a federal lab for a little while and the number I saw was 5 years. There were facilities construction projects underway and process improvements on the table to improve that to about 2 years. -Rocky

brownhorn

Wow, 15mpg?
My 1988 P5 with 700,000 miles on it gets 11 mpg.
I crank it and floor it.
No real savings in time spent, or the cost of the vehicle.
Not to mention, the added cost of maintenance of all the fancy do dads that lose time.

My car is not the finished product. I'm sure Eaton has taken some of our suggestions and criticisms and will improve upon the hybrid before a complete overhaul of the UPS fleet takes place. My initial reaction is that it's a pretty good start so far, but improvements can be made.