More I.E. stupidity!

JustTired

free at last.......
Sorta using the previous example.....
Let's say a pkg is found in the building. The delivery is 10 miles from the center. A driver on TAW drives the pkg 10 miles to the delivery point and it takes him 20 minutes. The driver who will actually deliver it is also 10 miles away. He breaks off to meet the TAW driver at the delivery point. The TAW waits at the delivery point for 20 minutes until the regular driver shows up. Then he drives the 10 miles (20 minutes) back to the center.

Now.....
You paid the TAW driver 1hr pay to get the pkg out there. Total cost: 1 hr. pay, 20 miles on vehicle.
You also pay the regular driver 1/2 hr (assuming it took him that long to drive the 20 total miles and deliver the pkg) and add 20 miles to his day. Not to mention that it will ultimately be 1/2 hr. at time and a half and may also cause him to break off later in the day for a pickup that could have been made on trace normally (thus, more overtime).

But, it did keep the TAW driver off of the reports. So....what was the cost to the company in real dollars as opposed to letting the TAW driver actually deliver the pkg?
It doesn't take a genius to figure out which would save the company money. And, if this was an isolated incident, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But this goes on in centers all across the country every day. Sometimes more than once in the same center.
So .....you tell me what the total cost is just to keep the numbers in line.

Pump Up The Volume

Of course, we are talking about IE...where logic is an oxymoron anyway.

While you hit on some of the finer points relavant in a driver's little ups world, I think you miss some of the bigger picture. The simple IE logic is so obvious it's genious

1) You routes are sent out knowingly overdispatched (in the red). Sparing all the details, your safety and integrity has been compromised before you walk throught the door. One slip up and the ability to discharge you becomes easier.

2) You are training I.E. and you are training your replacement. You know your route best, you have worked with IE to set it up, and with new technology routes can be optimized. The details will work themselves out mostly because you will do it for everbody. More importantly, any scab/manager will be able to walk off the street and do your job just about as well at a lower rate. What leverage will you have at the next round of negotiations or to strike?

BrownBlue

New Jack
If I was in IE I would use my wand of disruption at everything, then finish it off with magic jar spell on the operation managers, then magic missile all the remaining drivers.

JustTired

free at last.......
2) You are training I.E. and you are training your replacement. You know your route best, you have worked with IE to set it up, and with new technology routes can be optimized. The details will work themselves out mostly because you will do it for everbody. More importantly, any scab/manager will be able to walk off the street and do your job just about as well at a lower rate. What leverage will you have at the next round of negotiations or to strike?

This was my thought when the system was being implemented in our center. But, the flaw in the whole implementation is that they didn't use driver knowledge. Oh, they said they wanted our input....but then continued to ignore it.

If you want a system that actually works for the company, the driver and the customer......you have to use the area knowledge available to you. And, I'm sorry, but that would come from those that have been actually doing the job on a daily basis. The Driver!!

Sure, there will be those drivers that try to "game" the system. But, you have to employ someone to set up the system that has the ability to separate the 'wheat from the chaf'........or, at the very least, someone who can read a map.

The other problem, I believe, is that those employed to get the system implemented were given an unreasonably short amount of time to "get it done". Sound familiar?

The best plan in the world isn't worth anything if the implementation sucks!

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
This was my thought when the system was being implemented in our center. But, the flaw in the whole implementation is that they didn't use driver knowledge. Oh, they said they wanted our input....but then continued to ignore it.

If you want a system that actually works for the company, the driver and the customer......you have to use the area knowledge available to you. And, I'm sorry, but that would come from those that have been actually doing the job on a daily basis. The Driver!!

Sure, there will be those drivers that try to "game" the system. But, you have to employ someone to set up the system that has the ability to separate the 'wheat from the chaf'........or, at the very least, someone who can read a map.

The other problem, I believe, is that those employed to get the system implemented were given an unreasonably short amount of time to "get it done". Sound familiar?

The best plan in the world isn't worth anything if the implementation sucks!

If UPS pays replacement drivers 2/3rds of what they pay us, forgoing a traditional pension plan with a matching 401K, and providing limited benefits, eliminating us could work. Would it work as proficiently as we highly paid workers make it work now? No, but it would not have to. Our replacements could be sent out with less work. Less work means less stress to the driver. It also will make PAS/EDD work better.

And UPS would still turn a tremendous profit, probably more then they do now. Even if it meant they would have to put more trucks on the road.

JustTired

free at last.......
If UPS pays replacement drivers 2/3rds of what they pay us, forgoing a traditional pension plan with a matching 401K, and providing limited benefits, eliminating us could work. Would it work as proficiently as we highly paid workers make it work now? No, but it would not have to. Our replacements could be sent out with less work. Less work means less stress to the driver. It also will make PAS/EDD work better.

And UPS would still turn a tremendous profit, probably more then they do now. Even if it meant they would have to put more trucks on the road.

Well, you had me there.........until the "It also will make PAS/EDD work better." If it's broken now...it'll be broken then.

Let's say you've got a car and the brakes are shot, the windshield is cracked, and it has four flat tires. By your analysis, you would just keep switching drivers until you could find one that could (or would) drive it. At the end of the day, though, you still have a piece of crap. One that can't get from point A to point B with any kind of efficiency. One that may be a hazard to others on the road. You get the idea.

Fix PAS/EDD and you will "turn a tremendous profit" with the drivers that are currently in place.

Big Babooba

Well, you had me there.........until the "It also will make PAS/EDD work better." If it's broken now...it'll be broken then.

Let's say you've got a car and the brakes are shot, the windshield is cracked, and it has four flat tires. By your analysis, you would just keep switching drivers until you could find one that could (or would) drive it. At the end of the day, though, you still have a piece of crap. One that can't get from point A to point B with any kind of efficiency. One that may be a hazard to others on the road. You get the idea.

Fix PAS/EDD and you will "turn a tremendous profit" with the drivers that are currently in place.
Wait until you see what's coming.

You`ll trade it in under the Cash for Clunkers program?

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver

Pump Up The Volume pointed out, if we were ever to go on strike again, PAS/EDD would allow replacement drivers to learn the job very quickly. Would they be delivering the same volume, per driver, that UPS has package car drivers doing now? Absolutely not. And that is why I think PAS/EDD would work better. Take away the add/cuts and the pressure to deliver 12 hours worth of work in 10 or less, and the system that is now in place just might work.

Look, I hated PAS/EDD. It was the final nail in the coffin for me before I fled package and went to feeders. I did find it was a useful tool for delivering my route. But we all know it is now primarily expected by the company to be used to increase our productivity. It is not very good at that. But it probably is an excellent tool to guide new drivers in how to run a route. If UPS didn't have to pay what they pay us they would not have to run everything as tight as they do. And if they didn't have to run it so tight, productivity might not be such an issue and PAS/EDD might just work.

But, would I give a nickel back to them for any reason, even if it meant less pressure at work? Only if what is happening to YRC was happening to us. And it's not :whew:.

But then again, I can only say that now that I am in feeders :happy2:.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I set my route up stop for stop. Because I'm a baseline driver I get splits off of other routes on my P.M. side. I have to completely customize this work because it wasn't set up stop for stop. If anyone thinks someone could walk in off the street and run this in order you are crazy. Even a half-wit could see the trace makes no sense. PAS/EDD is a slick program when set-up perfect, loaded perfect, with no errors. The part where you trace an area solely with a computer was an unmitigated disaster.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
They would not have to,but they would still. The only thing more fun than beating on someone is beating on them for half the price,or maybe two for the price of one.

You might be right. But then the turn over rate would be as bad as the pre-load's. Maybe they wouldn't care.

All I know is that PAS/EDD gave the company leverage over us in case of a strike.