My sup's are hinting to me that I should be a supervisor. But I am a bit paranoid it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hello fellow present and former UPSers. I have schizophrenia. I know that probably doesn't matter, but for me it does. I don't want to get into details, but I've dealt with bullying in the past at UPS and still do a bit. I'm a Package Handler. I don't think people like me there, well they think I'm crazy. Which I am but I'm harmless. Hey folks, I'm not a victim here. I'm a sorter by the way. Anyway, I get paranoid. I've been working for about 8 months. It's nice I love it. But my sups are trying to make me a supervisor or asking. I know supervisors are not apart of the union. I like my job, I have a job interview today for a second job (wish me luck comrades). But I like sorting. I guess the root of my question friends is this, and I'm going to be blunt with respect. Are they trying to make me a supervisor so I have no job security? So they can fire me?
Trust your gut reaction.
I spent 35 years in management but pretty sure I would not go into management at the new UPS.
Management pay is average for the industry.
What is your long-term goal in life? With UPS?
Are you getting a college degree?
I would never suggest going into management at UPS unless you have or are very certain you will get one.
90% of the management jobs at UPS are not complex enough to require a degree but 100% require a degree.

Returntosender

This is true and that's coming from a 35 year management person.
It's a dead end job if you don't have a college degree.
Do you have multiple degrees?

In the past I've read the profiles of Management personnel most of the guys getting assigned to Atlanta have multiple degrees.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They pick "IQ" over common sense.
I doubt there is much difference between management and drivers as far as IQ.

I remember a study from years ago that found people with Masters and PhDs had the same or lower IQ on average than the person with a Bachelors degree.

The average IE person probably has the highest IQ amongst UPS management simply because people who studied and worked in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) fields have the highest IQ.
Teachers and Agriculture fields scored the lowest IQ.

I doubt there is much difference between management and drivers as far as IQ.

I remember a study from years ago that found people with Masters and PhDs had the same or lower IQ on average than the person with a Bachelors degree.

The average IE person probably has the highest IQ amongst UPS management simply because people who studied and worked in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) fields have the highest IQ.
We could use a few people who have actually done this job, to run this place.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Baby mamma !!
We speak English here ,,
Not Jive!!
image.jpg

trickpony1

Perhaps it would benefit you to enroll in a class that teaches how to avoid/prevent/delay making babies.

Take your baby momma with you.

jaker

trolling
This made me laugh , it might be true but they have no real world knowledge when it comes down to pkg car

bumped

The best part about the union Ups job is that you put your time in and when your off, your off. Being in management is like always being at someone's beck and call.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Become a supe,,, they get cool red shirts ,, they look awesome , and you get to carry the radio !!
Go for it !

I once had a job where I carried a radio. It might look cool. However, it's not all it was cracked up to be. It was more trouble than it was worth.

I'd advise stay a sorter, get the benefits. And get a 2nd job during the day. Sup's have to pay for their own benefits. Maybe they know you're smart and are afraid you'll be able to quote Articles and Sections from the Union book to them when they try to pull some funny business.
Ive been asked 3 times to be a supervisor.

PT Car Washer

You will definitely make more money being a PT sup then an hourly. Of course you will work twice as many hours and expected to work twice as hard. How many times do you see a PT sup jumping into a trailer and start loading because his belt was backed up? All the time. Also all the extra hours makes it hard to find another job to fit in with your PT job.

You will definitely make more money being a PT sup then an hourly. Of course you will work twice as many hours and expected to work twice as hard. How many times do you see a PT sup jumping into a trailer and start loading because his belt was backed up? All the time. Also all the extra hours makes it hard to find another job to fit in with your PT job.
I was told pt sup's start at 14.00 or 15.00 an hour.
My previous FT job was $15 p/hr. my pt UPS paychecks were almost as much as my FT job after they took out benefits. I volunteered to be Designated Responder so I usually got 5 hours or even OT everyday.

PT Car Washer

I was told pt sup's start at 14.00 or 15.00 an hour.
My previous FT job was $15 p/hr. my pt UPS paychecks were almost as much as my FT job after they took out benefits. I volunteered to be Designated Responder so I usually got 5 hours or even OT everyday.
Designated respondender make a lot more then a normal package handler or a PT sup. Of course you are almost on call 24/7 and never know when you will be off. All for a PT job.

Designated respondender make a lot more then a normal package handler or a PT sup. Of course you are almost on call 24/7 and never know when you will be off. All for a PT job.
Actually, it's a dollar less at my center, but they always gave me skilled pay. I was only on for my shift. BUUUUT, supervisors are made to also be DR's, and they get called on road to handle leakers, or to cover another center if they don't have one that day. Come to think of it, I wonder if my preload is in violation since both of us DRs are cover drivers now?

35years

Gravy route
To the OP...

Do they ask some people to go into supervision in order to target them for termination?
Yes, but it is not common.

Will they be able to terminate you more easily if you are management?
Yes.

Will the stress of being in management be significantly higher than sorting?
Yes.

Good luck.

Oak

PT sups don't move packages on my shift. I tell them they shouldn't be forwarding the progress of any package AND I WILL FILE A GRIEVANCE. I also explain that it isn't good for anybody if I have to file. Not good for them, their boss, or even me. Just let me do the work.

This includes a customer coming to pick up a package that is still on a package car. I will drop what I am doing and get the package and take it to the customer counter so it can be delivered. It is union work. If the trailer pulls late because I had to take a package to the counter, we clearly didn't have enough help to complete our work in the first place.