N. Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, Iran, the Vatican news

moreluck

golden ticket member
177162_600.jpg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
North Korean readers are advised to stock up on roots to chew. Their communist slave state is headed for another famine:

In a proclamation that will strike fear into the hearts of the North Korean people, state media has ordered the citizenry to prepare for a new “arduous march”.

The term was first coined by the North Korean leadership in 1993 as a metaphor for the four-year famine that decimated the nation from 1994.

The famine – in which as many as 3.5 million of the nation’s 22 million people died – was brought on by economic mismanagement, natural disasters, the collapse of the Soviet bloc and the consequent loss of aid, combined with the regime’s insistence on continuing a life of luxury and feeding the military.

Now, less than one month after the United Nations Security Council voted in favour of new sanctions against North Korea for its recent nuclear and missile tests, Pyongyang has announced a nationwide campaign to save food.

http://moonbattery.com/?p=70484

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
http://nypost.com/2016/03/31/kim-jong-un-weighs-nearly-300-pounds/
Portly North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un,whose weight the South Korean government estimates has ballooned to nearly 300 pounds, signaled through state media that the nation could be headed for another famine like the one that killed an estimated 3.5 million people in the 1990s.

Kim Jong Un has put on an estimated 70 pounds within the last year.
Poetic Justice would have him eaten by his subjects.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Venezuela Only Has $10 Billion Left in Reserves

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) — Amid all of Venezuela’s problems, the country is running out of time and money.

Venezuela only has $10 billion in reserves — the cash that’s intended to keep an economy stable and weather tough times.

What’s worse: most of those reserves aren’t in hard cash. About $7 billion is in gold bars, which doesn’t make it easy to make payments.

And Venezuela has a lot of bills to pay soon. It owes $6 billion in debt payments for the rest of this year. There’s also no sign that the country’s lone source of revenue — oil exports — will be able to pay down those debts.

At the end of the day, Venezuela is running the risk of defaulting on its debt this year, meaning it wouldn’t be able to get more loans to pay for basics like food and medicine, which are in scarce supply.

In 2011, Venezuela had $30 billion in the bank. As recently as 2015, it had $20 billion.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
New attack plan for NK.
The USA will round up all gang members and drop them right off the NK coast .
Since most of them are already known killers , the NK troops don't stand a chance .

Sportello

Banned
‘Honored to Do It’
Addressing the most urgent foreign policy and national security issue before him, Trump said he’d be willing to meet with North Korean leader Kim “under the right circumstances” if it would result in defusing tension on the Korean Peninsula.

“If it would be appropriate for me to meet with him, I would absolutely, I would be honored to do it,” Trump said.

“Most political people would never say that,” he said, “but I’m telling you under the right circumstances I would meet with him.”

No U.S. president has had direct contact with the North Korean regime and any contacts between the two nations have been limited since the signing of an armistice that halted the Korean War in 1953. Kim has never met with a foreign leader since taking charge after his father’s death in 2011 and hasn’t left his isolated country.

Trump also defended his White House invitation to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, who’s come under criticism from human rights groups for a brutal crackdown on the drug trade.

“The Philippines is very important to me strategically and militarily,” Trump said. “He’s been very, very tough on that drug problem but he has a massive drug problem.”

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Venezuela raises minimum wage again

(CNNMoney) - Venezuela's president hiked the nation's minimum wage another 60% on Sunday in response to the country's ongoing economic crisis.
Unemployment in Venezuela is expected to pass 25% this year, and it could reach as high as 28% next year. The rate was 7.4% in 2015.

Venezuela's economy shrank a massive 18% last year -- its third year of recession -- and it's expected to be in the red this year, and next too.

Inflation is expected to surge to 720% this year and 2,068% next year, according to forecasts by the International Monetary Fund.

The new wage he announced Sunday will apply to a range of professions, including teachers, doctors, firefighters, police and military personnel.

The latest hike brings the minimum wage to 65,021 bolivares per month, up from 40,638. With an additional food stamp hike, that brings the country's wage to 200,021 bolivares per month. Maduro is allowing for food stamps to be deposited and used as cash.

The total monthly wage is equivalent to about $46.70, according to the popular but unofficial exchange rate website DolarToday.com.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
‘Honored to Do It’
Addressing the most urgent foreign policy and national security issue before him, Trump said he’d be willing to meet with North Korean leader Kim “under the right circumstances” if it would result in defusing tension on the Korean Peninsula.

“If it would be appropriate for me to meet with him, I would absolutely, I would be honored to do it,” Trump said.

“Most political people would never say that,” he said, “but I’m telling you under the right circumstances I would meet with him.”
I remember Obama saying the same thing ... of course the Conservatives thought it was horrible.
Same record ... different side.

Sportello

Banned
I remember Obama saying the same thing ... of course the Conservatives thought it was horrible.
Same record ... different side.
Your memory is faulty. Please show me where President Obama said he would speak directly with Kim Jong-un, or even hold bilateral talks with the DPRK.

President Obama definitely never said he's 'be honored' to speak to Kim.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Your memory is faulty. Please show me where President Obama said he would speak directly with Kim Jong-un, or even hold bilateral talks with the DPRK.

President Obama definitely never said he's 'be honored' to speak to Kim.
My memory is faulty but I saw it replayed on TV. It was during a debate back in 2008.
He never said 'be honored' but we both know he would have bowed. :wink-very: