New DOT physical rules

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
My BMI is off too by the numbers, but I have a done a lot a weight training and a disproportionately large neck for my size. The paper from my visits always asserts I am overweight, but I'm not. I'm 5'8 and 175.

I'm beginning to think the Dr 's found another way to get a "kick back ". For referrals for a bogus BMI. If they can see your not out of shape

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm beginning to think the Dr 's found another way to get a "kick back ". For referrals for a bogus BMI. If they can see your not out of shape

I think it is more a case of the doctors being afraid to pass people if there is any possibility they could be held responsible if anything happens.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
But, they are " Dr 's " not God. I'm thinking greedy. No way they could prove a Dr is responsible

They may not be able to prove it, but certain things are recorded during the physical like BMI and neck size.

If a person was to be involved in an accident due to drousiness or falling asleep, the FMCSA can pull the DOT physical records and question the doctor as to why a sleep study was not ordered if the persons neck size was over 18 and his BMI was 35 or higher.

This is where the $10K fine can come into play, so doctors are playing it safe. Send anyone to a sleep study if they fall within the FMCSA guidelines, whether obese or not.

Neck size of 18 or higher and a BMI of 35 or higher...sleep study.

Blame the FMCSA, not the doctors. They are just covering their butts.

542thruNthru

What I'm curious about is how often they will make you take this sleep study test. Let's say the driver passes? Does he have to do it again in 2 years?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the good thing about this is that it is going to weed out a lot of unhealthy drivers nationwide and cause a bigger qualified driver shortage more than it already is. the dot physical is only going to become more strict so better get used to it.

this will drive up wages for everyone including union drivers. around here union drivers average almost double wages compared to non union.

oldngray

nowhere special
the good thing about this is that it is going to weed out a lot of unhealthy drivers nationwide and cause a bigger qualified driver shortage more than it already is. the dot physical is only going to become more strict so better get used to it.

this will drive up wages for everyone including union drivers. around here union drivers average almost double wages compared to non union.

They can just hire more illegal aliens who don't need to worry about things like DOT rules or having a valid license.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Once you have the millstone around your neck,..... insurance is not going to pay for a 2nd sleep study to see if you have improved.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm looking forward to being off BP meds for good. I permanently changed my lifestyle (what I eat, exercising, etc) and am losing weight without being on a short term diet. I've been on two BP meds for years and was able to take myself off one of them and my BP is holding at 120/80. Once I get down to 120/70 on one pill I'll try breaking the pill in half and hopefully eventually no meds needed and can get a 2 year DOT card.

trickpony1

I don't suppose circadian rthyms (yeah...I misspelled it) or working consecutive 14 hour days (at night) has anything to do with falling asleep?

Yep....it's got to be your neck size or some other arbitrary metric.