New Driver vacation dilemma

Cementups

Box Monkey
You should have been able to pick vacation with everyone else in January with the stipulation that you would not be able to pick until after your seniority date, which would make it possible to pick in OCt./Nov. if it were available.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You should have been able to pick vacation with everyone else in January with the stipulation that you would not be able to pick until after your seniority date, which would make it possible to pick in OCt./Nov. if it were available.
Guess it depends on where u are but here October November are prime hunting weeks. Got to have 15 years usually to get any of those.

browniehound

Was the OP a ptimer who picked vaca as so? Here, when you move up, pt to driver/ PC to feeder, whatever vaca picks you made by your seniority in the previous position you are allowed to take in your new position. The next vacation picks would be made by your seniority in your new position.

This is the way I understand it also, because every bid year at least 2 or 3 feeder drivers bid package routes and work them until vacation picks. They then pick their vacations from high on the seniority list in package only to bid a feeder run shortly after and stay there with their summer vacations in hand and at the bottom of the seniority list in feeders.

So my guess would be any vacations you picked as PT would be your weeks in the FT position and I'm guessing you didn't pick the week you now want off when you were PT?

I still think there is hope for you to get the week however. Its the time of year when there is an influx of casuals that management wants to get trained. Its the only time of the year that my supervisor will actually call me and ask if I want the day off because they have too many people available.

So simply ask your center manager if you can take the week of unpaid or if you can use your sick days. He will probably accommodate you if you're not a jerk and he's not a jerk.

Either way, congrats on getting married. UPS welcomes you and your loving wife to the UPS employment family where 96.873% of marriages end in divorce.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We pick then too, but I would have no problem getting any open weeks later.

You guys don't seem to get the issue here. Stripe doesn't have any vacation time coming to him until 1/2015 but he wants to take a week off in 10/2014 for his honeymoon. It doesn't matter whether those weeks are blacked out or not----he does not have any time built up so he is not eligible to bid. As I said earlier, if it were the last week of the year his center manager may be able to advance a week but October is too far and he simply is out of luck.

nystripe96

Hopefully I can work with my center manager & take a week unpaid. I'll also have my optional and sick days, so maybe he'll let me bunch them together that week

Sent using BrownCafe App

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You guys don't seem to get the issue here. Stripe doesn't have any vacation time coming to him until 1/2015 but he wants to take a week off in 10/2014 for his honeymoon. It doesn't matter whether those weeks are blacked out or not----he does not have any time built up so he is not eligible to bid. As I said earlier, if it were the last week of the year his center manager may be able to advance a week but October is too far and he simply is out of luck.

Why not? His anniversary is September 10. His paycheck should show vacation time available after that date.

upschuck

It depends on the supplement. In central region, he would get the time.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Wally is correct....according to the 804 supplement, Stripe will be eligible to take his one week vacation in the vacation period following his seniority date....so it would be during the winter vacation period...which would be from Oct 1st, 2014 thru April 30th, 2015.

Kae3106

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" Wimpy

Stripe is asking to use a 2015 vacation week in 2014. If it were the last week of December it may be an option but I highly doubt they will let him do that in late October.

I hear January honeymoons can still be quite nice.

Even if the center approves the time off, Payroll will not pay it. They will not advance vacation pay across years unless Labor can show contract language that allows it.

upschuck

Even if the center approves the time off, Payroll will not pay it. They will not advance vacation pay across years unless Labor can show contract language that allows it.
He is not advancing anything. Work a year get vacation, he'll have a year in Sept, so he gets vacation in end Sept, Oct, or Nov for that year. Then technically he would have to take a week of vacation after his Sept year date, but most allow that anytime in the year.