Cover/utility drivers

Local63

As a utility driver I had nearly three years of progression driving non stop for those three years. October/23 would have been my complete 3 years of driving as a cover driver. Got layed off back in may and am currently in building. My building doesn’t/didn’t have 22.4 as we don’t have Saturday operations. However they send 22.4 drivers from a different building(sister building) thats a 40 minute drive from us and in a different town. So now that they have been reclassified as RPCDs can they just get transfer to our building and bump me even if I have more company/driving/building seniority. Will I still be placed on the full time wait list at the top for our building before any of them? I’m just trying to figure out what’s happening with utility/cover drivers with this new contract and neither stewards we have can give me a straight answer as they don’t know either.

shalang

You didn't get laid off. You're a cover driver, your domicile is the hub. Unless things are different where you're at, you have no seniority driving. You do have seniority as a cover driver, but that has no bearings on actual REAL drivers. You're not classified as a driver. You're a hub person who covers FT drivers when they're on vacation. Nothing more, nothing less. Again, unless things are different where you're at.

I'd highly advise you to talk to a stewards on the matter. If they're not helpful, reach out to the BA.

GenericUsername

Not sure your local/supplement, but here in my building in the Southern, we file on anyone sent from other buildings to work. Part timers get paid. Full timers get paid. You have more building seniority than those coming to your building to work, whether they're FT or not.

You didn't get laid off. You're a cover driver, your domicile is the hub. Unless things are different where you're at, you have no seniority driving. You do have seniority as a cover driver, but that has no bearings on actual REAL drivers. You're not classified as a driver. You're a hub person who covers FT drivers when they're on vacation. Nothing more, nothing less. Again, unless things are different where you're at.

I'd highly advise you to talk to a stewards on the matter. If they're not helpful, reach out to the BA.
The problem is the language. A cover driver means different things in different places, here it's a PTer who covers driver openings during vacations and peak. Other places it's a FTer without a bid, which is a utility driver here. @Local63 needs to get with a local stew and BA.

542thruNthru

The problem is the language. A cover driver means different things in different places, here it's a PTer who covers driver openings during vacations and peak. Other places it's a FTer without a bid, which is a utility driver here. @Local63 needs to get with a local stew and BA.
Local 63 is in the Southwest package rider like you, you heathen! :)

542thruNthru

As a utility driver I had nearly three years of progression driving non stop for those three years. October/23 would have been my complete 3 years of driving as a cover driver. Got layed off back in may and am currently in building. My building doesn’t/didn’t have 22.4 as we don’t have Saturday operations. However they send 22.4 drivers from a different building(sister building) thats a 40 minute drive from us and in a different town. So now that they have been reclassified as RPCDs can they just get transfer to our building and bump me even if I have more company/driving/building seniority. Will I still be placed on the full time wait list at the top for our building before any of them? I’m just trying to figure out what’s happening with utility/cover drivers with this new contract and neither stewards we have can give me a straight answer as they don’t know either.
Well for one... utility driver and cover driver are two different things. From the sounds of it you're a cover driver. A PTer that drivers and gets sent back to the building when not needed. A utility driver is a FT driver without a route.

Now if the 22.4s were not in your center and only loaned there because they needed people. I would say not they will not be RPCDs in your area.

shalang

Well for one... utility driver and cover driver are two different things. From the sounds of it you're a cover driver. A PTer that drivers and gets sent back to the building when not needed. A utility driver is a FT driver without a route.

Now if the 22.4s were not in your center and only loaned there because they needed people. I would say not they will not be RPCDs in your area.
Exactly. The two aren't the same in our contract. They're two separate things.

shalang

Utility is an RPCD without a route. Cover driver covers RPCD when on vacations and cannot be used to cover a route for more than 30 days or else a new RPCD spot needs to be open.

At least that's how it is here.

reginald95

Drivers can’t just transfer buildings like that unless they are following a route that was moved from its original building. They still have to sign the transfer form and wait their turn based in openings/seniority.