New England pension fund = CRITICAL

Inthegame

And now they are coming back. Pensions are starting to come back but to much ground was lost. Give central states 6.4 billion in 08 and then a depression happens and that's what you get. It's sad but nobody foresaw that. Ups wouldn't have given 6.4 billy if it thought it would be lost right away. No one could foresee the future. I'm sorry about this but it's true. Europe crashed right after this. Then everyone else. It was bad.
Yep, and the numbers prove it.
These underfunded plans are in huge trouble. Too much going out,not enough going in. And a large chunk is invested in safe,low return funds.

It's really , really bad!
Not as bad as you think. Granted plans like CS are (and will) continue to struggle but Lead Belly is right on the mark (again).
In 2012, 240 plans were considered in "critical" status (less than 65% funded) and 163 were endangered (less than 80% funded). In 2015 85 in critical, 41 endangered.
The DOL sends notices out for the prior years status so the 2012 notice refers to the 2011 plan year hence the 2015 notices already out for 2014 plan years.

Yep, and the numbers prove it.

Not as bad as you think. Granted plans like CS are (and will) continue to struggle but Lead Belly is right on the mark (again).
In 2012, 240 plans were considered in "critical" status (less than 65% funded) and 163 were endangered (less than 80% funded). In 2015 85 in critical, 41 endangered.
The DOL sends notices out for the prior years status so the 2012 notice refers to the 2011 plan year hence the 2015 notices already out for 2014 plan years.
I'm not in the CS but my plan is in critical status too.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Every multi employer pension fund with the exception of the western conference of teamsters is in critical. A lot of union trucking companies have gone out of business I. The last twenty thirty years. Their employers don't pay into said funds anymore. Do you remember when all the mortgage and credit card lenders got a buy out? Republicans do not think people on a pension deserve a buy out. To secure their pensions.
Not every plan is critical. Local 710 is a multi-employer plan and funded at 87%. We just received our letter last week. I am sure there are other locals funded above 80%. A previous post bragged about receiving $7000 per month, that with as you mentioned companies not contributing to the plans are why many are endangered. The greed of $7000 will bankrupt most plans. I am glad Local 710 were realistic in their contributions and distributions. Local 710's retirement should have a good chance of lasting my lifetime with continued good management.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Every multi employer pension fund with the exception of the western conference of teamsters is in critical. A lot of union trucking companies have gone out of business I. The last twenty thirty years. Their employers don't pay into said funds anymore. Do you remember when all the mortgage and credit card lenders got a buy out? Republicans do not think people on a pension deserve a buy out. To secure their pensions.

They don't-----that's what the PBGC is for.