New FedEx and the RLA

morgan

So with this restructuring express into ground this really means FedEx is not an airline anymore. Therefore, they are not bound by the Railway labor act anymore. UPS and the Teamsters should be all over this. FedEx ground is made up of all sort of CDL-B box truck companies they purchased over the years and expansion. Anyone remember the "Brownbailout"? the lengths that Fred went to keep that law from being looked at and overturned? Come June of '24 FedEx is a trucking company! And if I were the brass at UPS I would take another hit at this law and knock FedEx down a notch.

bacha29

So with this restructuring express into ground this really means FedEx is not an airline anymore. Therefore, they are not bound by the Railway labor act anymore. UPS and the Teamsters should be all over this. FedEx ground is made up of all sort of CDL-B box truck companies they purchased over the years and expansion. Anyone remember the "Brownbailout"? the lengths that Fred went to keep that law from being looked at and overturned? Come June of '24 FedEx is a trucking company! And if I were the brass at UPS I would take another hit at this law and knock FedEx down a notch.
Not likely to happen until the outcome of the 24 election and the Yellow Freight matter is settled. And even then the prospects of any action are not very high.

MAKAVELI

Tell me you don't understand the RLA without telling me you don't understand the RLA.
Please do explain why FedEx employees should be covered under the RLA when you have Ground drivers covered under the NLRA in the same building delivering air freight..

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Please do explain why FedEx employees should be covered under the RLA when you have Ground drivers covered under the NLRA in the same building delivering air freight..
Ground drivers covered by the NLRA (same building or not) have absolutely nothing to do with it the classification of FedEx employees.

MAKAVELI

Ground drivers covered by the NLRA (same building or not) have absolutely nothing to do with it the classification of FedEx employees.
That was the case under separate OPCOs and separate networks. Only a matter of time before the combined OPCOs and networks challenge the RLA status. There literally will be no difference between FedEx and UPS other than the use of contractors.

!Retired!

You don't think FedEx's army of lawyers hasn't thought of that?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That was the case under separate OPCOs and separate networks. Only a matter of time before the combined OPCOs and networks challenge the RLA status. There literally will be no difference between FedEx and UPS other than the use of contractors.
And the primary function of the courier will still be to move air cargo and support air operations, just as it always has been.

morgan

Tell me you don't understand the RLA without telling me you don't understand the RLA.
Oh I understand plenty about the RLA and how Fred and FedEx manipulated it to there advantage all these years. I understand that UPS started that website about the inequity of FedEx using that law. They spent a couple hundred thousand on the website. Fred went out and spent about $4million buying media and a senator to shut them down. If it weren't for the RLA express wouldn't be in this predicament right now because you all might have representation. But sure tell me I'm not informed.

morgan

You have to realize that most of the people saying FedEx doesn't belong under the RLA don't even know what it is.
FedEx doesn't belong under the RLA and hasn't for a long time. They are masters at cheating the system to their advantage and now they're going to put 65k+ people out of work. All in an effort to become the Uber of the freight industry. They've hated every express employee for well over 15 years and you somehow still support them. Guess you just want that pension to keep coming.

morgan

You don't think FedEx's army of lawyers hasn't thought of that?
They've thought of it. Raj even talked about it in his press conference. Thing is they've never had any serious confrontation on it. Teamsters will be in a prime spot to challenge it next June. I hope they do!

It will be fine

FedEx doesn't belong under the RLA and hasn't for a long time. They are masters at cheating the system to their advantage and now they're going to put 65k+ people out of work. All in an effort to become the Uber of the freight industry. They've hated every express employee for well over 15 years and you somehow still support them. Guess you just want that pension to keep coming.
I think it’s pretty difficult to argue that the largest air cargo company in the world is not an airline. Adding in that they will be subcontracting out the majority of their domestic Ground business doesn’t make them any less of an airline. I would think it makes them more so.

MAKAVELI

I think it’s pretty difficult to argue that the largest air cargo company in the world is not an airline. Adding in that they will be subcontracting out the majority of their domestic Ground business doesn’t make them any less of an airline. I would think it makes them more so.
It makes the ground ops even less part of the airline functions. Like I said earlier FedEx will essentially work like UPS with the exception of contracted drivers. At some point lawmakers are going to have to reconcile having two separate labor laws covering drivers that have the same functions with a difference of being contracted and employee

It will be fine

It makes the ground ops even less part of the airline functions. Like I said earlier FedEx will essentially work like UPS with the exception of contracted drivers. At some point lawmakers are going to have to reconcile having two separate labor laws covering drivers that have the same functions with a difference of being contracted and employee
What? All the Ground drivers are covered under the NLRA, just like UPS drivers. The FedEx employees will be covered by the RLA because they work for an airline. There’s nothing to reconcile.

bacha29

Sure there is. It was almost removed in 2010 with no merge. A challenge now would be a slam dunk.
Congress and the courts made an exception in Fat Freddy's case as it pertains to the RLA but only because he was able to convince those holding down congressional seats at the time that he was something SPECIAL!... Now going forward if in the minds of those people currently sitting on the bench and currently holding down seats in Congress Fat Freddy is ABUSING his exemption that in turn is giving him an undeserved and unnecessary competitive advantage then is it realistic to continue to believe that his exemption can survive congressional and judicial scrutiny?

Never too soon for Fat Freddy to start loading up those Super PAC's with campaign cash.

bbsam

Staff member
I think FedEx doesn’t even care anymore. When there were Freight rumblings in the direction of a union, they choked it out quickly. I think they’re confident in being able to replicate that success.

MAKAVELI

I think FedEx doesn’t even care anymore. When there were Freight rumblings in the direction of a union, they choked it out quickly. I think they’re confident in being able to replicate that success.
They might think that but if there ever was a national organizing campaign for Express they might have a lot more difficult time squashing it. It would be like playing wack a mole.