New FedEx and the RLA

zeev

Freight is an Ltl company using low paid contractors is not an option. Express has a package network running alongside called Ground which can take the volume the next day.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Oh I understand plenty about the RLA and how Fred and FedEx manipulated it to there advantage all these years. I understand that UPS started that website about the inequity of FedEx using that law. They spent a couple hundred thousand on the website. Fred went out and spent about $4million buying media and a senator to shut them down. If it weren't for the RLA express wouldn't be in this predicament right now because you all might have representation.
They've been covered under the RLA since they began operations in 1973. All you know is a website from about 15 years ago.

But hey, show off that knowledge and tell us how they manipulated the RLA for 50 years.

But sure tell me I'm not informed.
OK, you're not informed and we both know it.

59 Dano

FedEx doesn't belong under the RLA and hasn't for a long time. They are masters at cheating the system to their advantage and now they're going to put 65k+ people out of work
So which provisions of the RLA are they in violation of? Which parts of the RLA are they cheating?

Don't be shy, now. You want to talk the particulars of the RLA, we gonna talk the particulars of the RLA.

59 Dano

Sure there is. It was almost removed in 2010 with no merge. A challenge now would be a slam dunk.
The only thing that was possibly going to be removed was the express carrier exemption and I don't know why FedEx made such a fuss about it. FedEx was covered under the RLA for over 20 years before the exemption was added and would still be covered should the exemption go away.

MAKAVELI

The only thing that was possibly going to be removed was the express carrier exemption and I don't know why FedEx made such a fuss about it. FedEx was covered under the RLA for over 20 years before the exemption was added and would still be covered should the exemption go away.
They made a fuss about it because they knew it was gone if Fred didn't payoff/ threaten politicians.

bacha29

Exactly Dano. That was then...this is now. If Congress, regulators and the courts come to the conclusion that Fat Freddy is achieving gains through no means other than his misuse and abuse of his exemption there might just be enough people holding those positions who Fat Freddy can't threaten or payoff .

Aquaman

The fact is you can’t combine Ground with Express and claim you’re an airline, not a trucking company. You’re an airline handing packages to a trucking company to deliver. And every single employee not on airport property should no longer fall under the RLA.

59 Dano

The fact is you can’t combine Ground with Express and claim you’re an airline, not a trucking company. You’re an airline handing packages to a trucking company to deliver. And every single employee not on airport property should no longer fall under the RLA.
I'll take "Stuff I Just Made Up" for $1000, Alex.

It sounds like they’re gonna continue to use some express employees to deliver priority overnight packages. Probably just enough express employees to hold onto the RLA status.

59 Dano

Fred sure knows how to payoff/threaten politicians.
As if it was on the brink of becoming law and a last minute influx of FredMoney turned it back. There was practically no support to carve out an exemption in a law that specifically targeted employees of one company for the benefit of a labor union who kept failing to organize them.

It's like listening to a sports fan who always whines about the officiating in a loss.

Gone fishin

As if it was on the brink of becoming law and a last minute influx of FredMoney turned it back. There was practically no support to carve out an exemption in a law that specifically targeted employees of one company for the benefit of a labor union who kept failing to organize them.

It's like listening to a sports fan who always whines about the officiating in a loss.
I would say that I think in the future , the contractor model will be outlawed , some states are trying already. It’s bad for business and the country.

59 Dano

I would say that I think in the future , the contractor model will be outlawed , some states are trying already. It’s bad for business and the country.
You're saying that companies should be banned from paying people to work on their behalf and should, instead, pay people to work on their behalf. BRILLIANT!

Gone fishin

You're saying that companies should be banned from paying people to work on their behalf and should, instead, pay people to work on their behalf. BRILLIANT!
Google Uber contractors vs employee. This will be educational for you. That said , this is what some companies are trying to enact “Fedex “ cutting American workers out of livable wages and benefits “Fedex “.sou familiar.
Critical thinking is important, I suggest you try it

fdxsux

I personally don’t think contractors should be able to use a company’s logo if they are going to be classified as contractors. They shouldn’t be able pretend they are the company they are contracting with. Fedex contractors shouldn’t be able to drive trucks with the Fedex logo and wear Fedex uniforms. If they drive a Fedex branded truck and wear Fedex branded uniforms they should be classified as Fedex employees.

yadig

Oh, the 2010 attempt. "About" to remove drivers is a little misleading, as the language was never even voted on in the Senate.
Do you stay up late at night fretting over FedEx’s rla status? If they did loose the rla that would be the least of FedEx’s problems. This company is combining opcos because they have no choice! The company is horribly managed!