New FMCSA rules July 1st 2013

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes, I know they of FOS. They do what they can to try to intimidate us, as they are intimidated, and thus have no recourse. So when they pull the print-out that has all the gaps, I should say I was doing restroom, coz it shows where it happened in between whatever. Its a game at this point. They cant fire me for running over, I know that.
I will do that if it comes up again, I am not scared to file a grievance any longer. At this point Im all about me. Just trying to keep them off my back. Makes life so much easier.

Yes, I know they of FOS. They do what they can to try to intimidate us, as they are intimidated, and thus have no recourse. So when they pull the print-out that has all the gaps, I should say I was doing restroom, coz it shows where it happened in between whatever. Its a game at this point. They cant fire me for running over, I know that.
I will do that if it comes up again, I am not scared to file a grievance any longer. At this point Im all about me. Just trying to keep them off my back. Makes life so much easier.

They got too pushy on a young lady at our building way back in the day about bathroom breaks. She in turn took it to the limit with claims of humiliation, saw a therapist, the whole nine yards. When all the dust settled what ever happened had the ivory tower let our mgmt know that if someone goes "down the hall" the only reply from mgmt is "Ok".

Ms.PacMan

I was told that, too. Instead of using the bathroom at one of my last business deliveries, I broke off during resi's and drove to the 7-11, took 3 minutes of my lunch and drove back to get on trace. Never heard another word.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
It's the part that states about the 30 min before 8 hours. That's every 8 hours. So as posted, if you break too early you better watch the back door as you can violate there.

And 104, we brought that very topic up of any required breaks after our alloted break/lunch was used being paid and the reply was "Sorry,no". So either the union needs to get in on fixing that (yea, I know) or make sure you punch out permanently before that second break is needed.

You brought it up to Management? I'm not surprised at their response. In our case, we have two 15 minute breaks that are taken in the first half and second half of the day. So it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to ask you to save your second break for part of that 30 minute rest period. We only have a few runs where this may be an issue, mostly layovers and Vegas turns. However, as long as you aren't trying to game the system they really don't have a leg to stand on if you take your meals & breaks within the contractually allotted times and have to take additional time later due to a legal requirement. It would be the same as going through scales, a safety checkpoint, conducting your pre or post trip, or being pulled over. All would be paid for time. If they want they can come up with a button to push to account for that time. Of course, if they direct you to code it as a second meal do so and grieve it immediately.

djkre8r

Well, let me chime in... I read the info here first. I am a cover driver so luckily I was on Monday during the PCM. We were told to take 30 mins before 8. So, I did. I took 25 minutes and 5 minutes later (before the 8th hour). The next day I got a warning letter for not taking 30 minutes CONSECUTIVELY! Since we were not told that - it should be thrown out (says my sup). CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well, let me chime in... I read the info here first. I am a cover driver so luckily I was on Monday during the PCM. We were told to take 30 mins before 8. So, I did. I took 25 minutes and 5 minutes later (before the 8th hour). The next day I got a warning letter for not taking 30 minutes CONSECUTIVELY! Since we were not told that - it should be thrown out (says my sup). CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY!

If the word "consecutively" was not used the warning letter should be thrown out.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Why...if we, as package, do not have to have a CDL, operate within the 150 air mile radius of our base of operations, are not required to keep a DOT log book, do these rules apply to package? They are for feeders and we all know that. Upper management says that we are all(package and feeder) governed by DOT rules.....when they are convenient. If we are all going to be governed by DOT then all rules apply not just some here(for package) and some there(for feeders)

You brought it up to Management? I'm not surprised at their response. In our case, we have two 15 minute breaks that are taken in the first half and second half of the day. So it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to ask you to save your second break for part of that 30 minute rest period. We only have a few runs where this may be an issue, mostly layovers and Vegas turns. However, as long as you aren't trying to game the system they really don't have a leg to stand on if you take your meals & breaks within the contractually allotted times and have to take additional time later due to a legal requirement. It would be the same as going through scales, a safety checkpoint, conducting your pre or post trip, or being pulled over. All would be paid for time. If they want they can come up with a button to push to account for that time. Of course, if they direct you to code it as a second meal do so and grieve it immediately.

I brought it up because I'm sitting at the PCM and none of the mgmt team had that light bulb go off. I told them that they might want to look into that fact.

​As far as me personally,it will be one of the coldest days in hell before I work those kinds of hours especially with a lunch that early.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Have heard through the grapevine that my management team has instructed everyone to RECORD a 30 minute consecutive break and/or lunch before reaching 8 hours. Whether the time is actually taken is to be at the discretion of the driver. Some things never change.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I think it is pathetically hilarious to watch all the Me-sters scramble around trying to find a way avoid taking their lunch, a right that was fought for by countless numbers of our predecessors.
They perpetuate their own lethargy and are to selfish and stupid to see it.
Could you imagine if the company tried to tell you that you couldn't take a lunch on a given day?
​It was once that way.
Wake up people and realize that you don't have a 9 to 5 job, settle in, work by the methods, take your lunch and breaks within the prescribed contractual time period and watch your actual work load and stress level shrink.

STFXG

The non-cdl 150 air mile exemption only has to do with RODS (Record Of Duty Status). Basically just how your time is recorded. It doesn't change the HOS rules as far as operating a CMV.

Have heard through the grapevine that my management team has instructed everyone to RECORD a 30 minute consecutive break and/or lunch before reaching 8 hours. Whether the time is actually taken is to be at the discretion of the driver. Some things never change.
They are going to get fired if the dot finds out.

Why...if we, as package, do not have to have a CDL, operate within the 150 air mile radius of our base of operations, are not required to keep a DOT log book, do these rules apply to package? They are for feeders and we all know that. Upper management says that we are all(package and feeder) governed by DOT rules.....when they are convenient. If we are all going to be governed by DOT then all rules apply not just some here(for package) and some there(for feeders)
Because rules we rules and you are paid a good buck to follow them. Lose the entitled feeling that you are right and become one with the rules. This will make yiur life better and give you job security.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

The non-cdl 150 air mile exemption only has to do with RODS (Record Of Duty Status). Basically just how your time is recorded. It doesn't change the HOS rules as far as operating a CMV.

Absolutely correct STFXG.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why are so many people willing to work for free? My break time is exactly that. Break time.

Unless all of these center manager are adjusting time clocks to show an extra 30 minutes at the end of the day. Still why would anyone (center manager or driver) risk this. 30 minutes of break isn't work an 80-90k a year job.

Omega man

My center manager is telling everyone to record a 30 minute break and don't take it,,but to keep working as usual.

The center manager is instructing you to falsify your lunch entry which will get you and his company fined. Most likely he will also get fired. You have no immunity by saying your manager instructed you to do it. As a driver, you are required to know and comply with the regulations.