New guy with a few questions.

UPSRook

Hey, I'm new to the forum and was wondering about a few things.

I've seen a few posts talking about things that seem important such as policies, 22.3, teamsters, etc. My knowledge on these things is very limited so where can I go to learn about them and stay informed?

Currently, I'm working as a part time package handler. When there is another opening, if I put in an application for an additional shift, would I even be considered?

As far as becoming a package delivery driver, is that something you have to request after you've been there a long time, or is the position offered to you?

J

jibbs

Hey, I'm new to the forum and was wondering about a few things.

[1]I've seen a few posts talking about things that seem important such as policies, 22.3, teamsters, etc. My knowledge on these things is very limited so where can I go to learn about them and stay informed?

Currently, I'm working as a part time package handler. [2]When there is another opening, if I put in an application for an additional shift, would I even be considered?

[3]As far as becoming a package delivery driver, is that something you have to request after you've been there a long time, or is the position offered to you?

Hey Rook, welcome to UPS and Brown Cafe!

1. You can check out the union agreement here: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/ups-teamsters-national-master-agreement-335360/

You can find the answers to most general questions in that link. It's a bit of a read but one of the most important things to know as a UPS employee and Teamster. Other questions can be answered by using the search engine of this site, but I've come to learn that using a Google site search is a more effective way of browsing message boards for specific information.

2. It might be possible to change shifts, but it's unlikely that you'll be double-shifting as a new employee. That question, though, would be better answered by management in your particular hub or center. While we can tell you what's happened in the past in similar situations and what might likely happen in yours, every individual case is different and we can't pretend to know the circumstances at every center and hub throughout the company.

3. Driving is something that's normally bid on internally. Employees put their name on a list, and the job/bid is (supposed to be) awarded to the employee(s) on the list with the most seniority. Occasionally UPS hires off-the-street drivers, but not often. Aside from peak season, I think for every 5 drivers UPS hires/promotes from within, they'll hire 1 outside driver "off the street."

Grammarly1959

I am the mom of a seasonal driver's helper, with a few questions. My son loves doing strenuous lifting and work; he volunteered at a charity we support, working in their warehouse and loved it, which is why he felt the UPS driver's helper would be good for him temporarily too.

However, they have only called him once, and had him work a few hours. They have not called him to work regularly. Is this typical? He loves the work, loved his first day, can't wait to work again. But it doesn't look like they have many hours at all planned for him. Did they overhire to compensate for the fact that so many quit? Its a shame because he really loves the job, its his first paying job too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, they over hire with the expectation that people will quit. With only 8 working days left his chances of working are growing more dim with each passing day.

OCRookie

Yes, they over hire with the expectation that people will quit. With only 8 working days left his chances of working are growing more dim with each passing day.

I wouldnt say growing more dim with each passing day. The planned # of helpers is increasing by the day - tomorrow is our most thus far in our center. His best bet is to get on the car, impress a driver, and hope that he relays the information the center team. If he loves strenuous work and lifing, he will love the inside!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I wouldnt say growing more dim with each passing day. The planned # of helpers is increasing by the day - tomorrow is our most thus far in our center. His best bet is to get on the car, impress a driver, and hope that he relays the information the center team. If he loves strenuous work and lifing, he will love the inside!!

The last thing that I would want to do this late in Peak is to train a new helper. In my center the helpers that are being used now will continue to be used with no new helpers added.

Grammarly1959

I'm worried because he was REALLY looking forward to this job, as crazy as that sounds! He was dressing in his uniform by 7 AM every day, waiting to be called, figuring he could go right out the door once they called, lol. He's a good kid, a bit naive, but very eager to work, and work hard.

If they don't end up calling him again, would he still be able to apply to be a package handler? I encouraged him to get into UPS and work his way up over the years to eventually become a driver (I have a friend who was a UPS driver for many years and he says its a very secure, well-paying job with a good future.) My son's not the college type, so this would be a good future for him.

OCRookie

The last thing that I would want to do this late in Peak is to train a new helper. In my center the helpers that are being used now will continue to be used with no new helpers added.

I agree, and lucky for your center. In our center, we have people scheduled to work tomorrow as helpers that have 0 days on the car at this point.

Grammarly1959

My son went through the orientation/training, got his uniform, but they didn't call him until he started calling them to find out what was going on. The supervisor gave him his personal cell number and told him to call if he had any questions. Then they did call him but only for one day so far.

J

jibbs

I was under the impression that driver helpers are called on their first day of work, and then should expect to meet up with the driver at the same time and place the next day unless otherwise instructed...

That's what seems to be going on at my center, though I've never worked as a helper before and might not have the most accurate image of how driver helpers are given work for the day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was under the impression that driver helpers are called on their first day of work, and then should expect to meet up with the driver at the same time and place the next day unless otherwise instructed...

That's what seems to be going on at my center, though I've never worked as a helper before and might not have the most accurate image of how driver helpers are given work for the day.

This is pretty much the way it should work---helper and driver are matched up on the first day and the driver calls the helper each following day.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
My son went through the orientation/training, got his uniform, but they didn't call him until he started calling them to find out what was going on. The supervisor gave him his personal cell number and told him to call if he had any questions. Then they did call him but only for one day so far.

It might be near over for the need of helpers. They weed many of them out 1, 2 days into it. A lot of jobs at UPS are harder then construction. Those who stay run the gambit of walks of life. It doesnt matter if he wants to work hard or not to these people in charge. Sad, I know, but theres still hope. UPS has been known as a company who hires often and regularly.

He needs to hope to get a chance, as in getting dressed and waiting a phone call. Does he have an ID card? Then perhaps show up to the building ahead of time browned up, see what the word is. If not, and the rest of year plays out, have him start filling online applications for that building/ HUB and see what comes of it.

On that, dont expect a quick reply. It took them 6 weeks before I even started working. 3 weeks just to get a tour. A company that wants their workers to be fast, sure doesnt opperate quickly on the inside.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream

It's starting to wind down with peak season...we had an extra long peak this year with Thanksgiving being a week earlier so we weren't smashing out packages in a shorter amount of time like in previous years. Your son has an in for getting a job. Have him get in touch with the Human Resources folks and make sure they know that he wants to get a permanent position. That's your best bet.