New York Legalizes Same Sex Marriage

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
All I did was mention that passing this law only benefited one select group to always provide themselves with a cash cow.

Thats sort of like saying that the thirteenth amendment to the Constitution (that outlawed slavery) also only benefitted "one select group". Everybody in a society benefits when an injustice is overcome.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thats sort of like saying that the thirteenth amendment to the Constitution (that outlawed slavery) also only benefitted "one select group". Everybody in a society benefits when an injustice is overcome.

I will personally derive little to no benefit from the passage of this legislation; however, I do agree that society as a whole will benefit.

I will personally derive little to no benefit from the passage of this legislation; however, I do agree that society as a whole will benefit.
I can see where NY state may benefit from the spurts of economic increases as people go there to be married, but that is hardly beneficiary to society as a whole. I'm not saying I am all committed couples don't deserve the same rights, in fact I have said the opposite. I just can't relate it to society as a whole.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can see where NY state may benefit from the spurts of economic increases as people go there to be married, but that is hardly beneficiary to society as a whole. I'm not saying I am all committed couples don't deserve the same rights, in fact I have said the opposite. I just can't relate it to society as a whole.

A society in which all of its members are afforded equal rights is what I was alluding to. I am not going to go so far as to liken it to segregation, as that is most certainly not the case, but in a way they were being treated as equal but separate.

A society in which all of its members are afforded equal rights is what I was alluding to. I am not going to go so far as to liken it to segregation, as that is most certainly not the case, but in a way they were being treated as equal but separate.
I agree that all citizens should have equal rights, regardless. Well, I might agree to some acceptations. lol

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't agree that all citizens should have equal rights.........convicts lose their rights and they give them up freely by the decisions they make. Felons lose their right to vote & have guns.....and so it should be.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Applying the notion that illegal non-citizens deserve equal rights is crazy.
The have shown that by their very presents here that they DO NOT believe in our society.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree that all citizens should have equal rights, regardless. Well, I might agree to some acceptations. lol

What kind of exceptions?

I don't agree that all citizens should have equal rights.........convicts lose their rights and they give them up freely by the decisions they make. Felons lose their right to vote & have guns.....and so it should be.

Good points.

Applying the notion that illegal non-citizens deserve equal rights is crazy.
The have shown that by their very presents here that they DO NOT believe in our society.

Please show me where anyone applied or implied that this should extend to illegal non-citizens simply through their presence here.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Check sanctuary cities like San Fran........places that bend over backwards to give "rights" to illegals and crush the rights of real citizens.

Not following the law and deporting them is giving them rights they don't even have....at least to me.

wkmac

In an 1877 essay titled “Against Women’s Suffrage,” Lysander Spooner wrote, “Women are human beings, and consequently have all the natural rights that any human being can have.” These natural rights, Spooner argued, do not include the “right” to use the power of the state to engage in theft and coercion against other human beings. He concluded:

“If the women, instead of petitioning to be admitted to a participation in the power of making more laws, will but give notice to the present lawmakers that they (the women) are going up to the State House, and are going to throw all the existing statute books in the fire, they will do a very sensible thing, – one of the most sensible things it is in their power to do.”

Similarly, anarchist and feminist Emma Goldman wrote, “Yet woman clamors for that ‘golden opportunity’ that has wrought so much misery in the world, and robbed man of his integrity and self-reliance; an imposition which has thoroughly corrupted the people, and made them absolute prey in the hands of unscrupulous politicians.”

Spooner and Goldman were not misogynists. They were just very keenly aware of the destructive effect that the state has on everything with which it becomes involved. Since gay marriage is in the news again, their insights should be kept in mind when considering this issue.

Against State-Sponsored Gay Marriage

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Other than convicts, what other "citizens" should not be afforded "equal rights?".

Peace.