**News Flash AETNA LTD Forces Workers to file for SSDI****

brown bomber

brown bomber
same situation w/ me..6 months STD,..then 12 months LTD....I eventually received SSDI, with the help of Allsup,..I also retired during this period, currently collecting SSDI and my pension. It took alot of work on my behalf,..probably 6 trips downtown for hearings and depositions..in the end it worked out

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What is ALLSUP? Don't worry about having to apply for SSDI. This is just Aetna's way of trying to save money. When I was on short term disability transitioning to long term disability; Aetna informed me of my need to apply for SSDI. I had no desire to go on SSDI as I knew I would return to my UPS career. OR If for some reason I could not; I would find another job. My condition would not have prohibited me from finding some kind of job. I first had a Physical to see if I was a candidate for SSDI. Next; Aetna informed me that I needed to have a Mental Exam. I did that as well. I was denied SSDI which was fine with me. I never wanted SSDI. Aetna requested that I file.

As far as I know; you do not need to be approved to satisfy Aetna's request; you only need to apply.

You have much bigger things to worry about, Stay strong and keep fighting.

You do not have to apply for SSDI while on STD.

Txgabby, I believe the contract reads that your health insurance is covered for 12 months when you go on LTD. If you where to apply for SSDI and approved, it would be 18-24 months before you would be on medicare. I suggest going the path of using Allsup for the SSDI application as they are the experts on this. Looking at your post are you not running out of time for continued company paid insurance coverage? That was my case as I decided to retire and use the retirement coverage for continued health insurance. Also I believe if and when you would be awarded SSDI, when Medicare kicks in (18-24 months later) they become the primary and teamcare secondary

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Stage 4? How much time you got left? Do what they say and use the time saved on yourself.