Next day air, a new one

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I have done this a million times, have to. I was on the way to the stop, got to the stop, by 1030, had it in the board at 1027, like I said do it every day. Never had a problem. I do it because so many of the places are locked, and have to wait, its hard to run them all and get them off on time. My Livelihood depends on their sense of urgency. I was told I should have used the delayed by security key, but it shocked me that it showed late at all. I think it is a new "feature" something to trim just a few more minutes, push us just a wee bit harder, keep squeezing that rock.

Not saying you do this, but lets get something out here for everyone to read.

Do not ever scan a NDA until you are parked at the location you intend to deliver it. With GPS and telematics the company can see where you were within 6 inches, when you scan a package and deliver it. If you are scanning packages at a stop to get the time stamp prior to 10:30 and the driving to the location and delivering it, you are asking for a falsification of records and termination!! If you can niot get all your air delivered using the proper methods, inform your center team. If you have done so and then have a late NDA the onus is on them, it is not your fault they over dispatched you. Mind you they will tell you to deliver only your air first, and go back later to all the stops, but in time you will find this a much less stressful way to do things, and you will still get done about the same time(no wasting time while running air digging thru the crappy load to find that one last ground package).

It has happened here, a driver was taken out of service and ended up settling down to a 4 day suspension.

Please friends, customer loyalty is not worth your job. Do not try to fudge the system, it always end up biting you where the sun don't shine!!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Do not ever scan a NDA until you are parked at the location you intend to deliver it. With GPS and telematics the company can see where you were within 6 inches, when you scan a package and deliver it. If you are scanning packages at a stop to get the time stamp prior to 10:30 and the driving to the location and delivering it, you are asking for a falsification of records and termination!! If you can niot get all your air delivered using the proper methods, inform your center team. If you have done so and then have a late NDA the onus is on them, it is not your fault they over dispatched you. Mind you they will tell you to deliver only your air first, and go back later to all the stops, but in time you will find this a much less stressful way to do things, and you will still get done about the same time(no wasting time while running air digging thru the crappy load to find that one last ground package).

It has happened here, a driver was taken out of service and ended up settling down to a 4 day suspension.

Please friends, customer loyalty is not worth your job. Do not try to fudge the system, it always end up biting you where the sun don't shine!!!

+1

Raw

Raw Member
I have done this a million times, have to. I was on the way to the stop, got to the stop, by 1030, had it in the board at 1027, like I said do it every day. Never had a problem. I do it because so many of the places are locked, and have to wait, its hard to run them all and get them off on time. My Livelihood depends on their sense of urgency. I was told I should have used the delayed by security key, but it shocked me that it showed late at all. I think it is a new "feature" something to trim just a few more minutes, push us just a wee bit harder, keep squeezing that rock.
Here`s what you do - If you think there is any chance you may be late on a NDA then inform ALL supes and center manager that you will be late on 1 or more airs and let "THE BRAINS" make the call! :happy-very:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Using any of the late reasons sends up a red flag. The one most commonly (ab)used in my district is customer requested late. I have to agree with the others that it sounds as though you did everything right--are you sure that it was not an EAM?
It was an Express from Japan or somewhere,and I was at the other stop when I scanned it, so that may be why, but it never happened before. We dont have EAM service, so it never shows late. No one seems to care or said anything. soooooooooo....today I had 15, left the building at 930. Told 3 sups, it was impossible even if I deliver no ground. No one responded. Guy next to me had 5, and he said he couldnt help, and I had all the air from a sec they pulled off, and gave to him. My first stop went bonkers, when I gave them a nda and had 40 more pkgs in truck. They are a preferred customer. For 10 yrs maybe twice someone has done this to them. I told them sorry, I could lose my job. I have to work as directed. Same at every large stop I went to. Then I started getting the ODS when will you be there, and I said after all my air, sometime after 1030. It was a miserable day. People I have good relationships with dont understand what difference pulling out the pkgs "taking" a few minutes would make. I still had one late. Oh well. I did my best. Thats all I can do.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Here`s what you do - If you think there is any chance you may be late on a NDA then inform ALL supes and center manager that you will be late on 1 or more airs and let "THE BRAINS" make the call! :happy-very:
I told everyone but the center manager who was in a grievance or something hearing.

Re-Raise

It probably was because you were not at the delivery location when the stop was initiated. Did your little GPS target start flashing red when you scanned the package? I hate that thing..

Overpaid Union Thug

I scanned two pkgs, one an air one a saver at my last stop. It was tight, but it was 10:27. By the time I got in, unloaded the other 17 pcs and got a sig it was 10:35. It showed as late, is this another new and improved feature? They asked me why I had late air, I said, "I dont know"! Any thoughts?

I've always been too chicken #$it to trust the DIAD whenever I'd get to my last air stop that included ground. Nine times out of ten I'd scan air as a separate stop just to be safe. I wouldn't hit duplicate for the ground though. There is one customer (bulk stop at a college central receiving) in particular that I would do this with and he always got a kick out of having to sign for a couple of NDAs and then again for the bulk a few minutes later. It was a pain in the ass too because of the fact that that particular dock, like many college docks, could only be delivered during a small time window. Each package showed up as an exception on some report if anyone delivered them outside of that window. I later figured out that I could deliver there anytime before the time window as long as I scanned NDA(s) with the ground. Sweet!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It was an Express from Japan or somewhere,and I was at the other stop when I scanned it, so that may be why, but it never happened before. We dont have EAM service, so it never shows late. No one seems to care or said anything. soooooooooo....today I had 15, left the building at 930. Told 3 sups, it was impossible even if I deliver no ground. No one responded. Guy next to me had 5, and he said he couldnt help, and I had all the air from a sec they pulled off, and gave to him. My first stop went bonkers, when I gave them a nda and had 40 more pkgs in truck. They are a preferred customer. For 10 yrs maybe twice someone has done this to them. I told them sorry, I could lose my job. I have to work as directed. Same at every large stop I went to. Then I started getting the ODS when will you be there, and I said after all my air, sometime after 1030. It was a miserable day. People I have good relationships with dont understand what difference pulling out the pkgs "taking" a few minutes would make. I still had one late. Oh well. I did my best. Thats all I can do.
You're right Toon, they usually don't understand. It's unfortunate that your ctr mgt doesn't get it either. Maybe after today they will wise up a little. :rofl:Ooooh ya, that's right, we work for UPS. They'll never get it. That's all you can do, your best. Tell them ahead of time and let the chips fall where they may. I love this part of it. I get to say, "I told you so.", and walk away laughing. :happy-very:

SWORDFISH

Great point and great thoughts. However if you been trained to scan an air before you get they wouldnt be able to fire you. They train all our people to do that.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yeah, especially when a sup goes with you and they tell you "we cant have any late air, use any trick you know"
Hey, its a new day a new 250 dollar bill. This is the cost of frustration.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Hey, GPS saved my butt. Some idiot that just crawled out of the woodwork, says I did not deliver his tires to his wife and kids sitting on the FP. MCW. I had to call LP, I described the incident, and the house and surroundings, and she said my GPS tracking for that day, shows me right smack dab in front of the house. So Yeah for me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hey, GPS saved my butt. Some idiot that just crawled out of the woodwork, says I did not deliver his tires to his wife and kids sitting on the FP. MCW. I had to call LP, I described the incident, and the house and surroundings, and she said my GPS tracking for that day, shows me right smack dab in front of the house. So Yeah for me.

Do you still have to get the DFU signed or will they go solely by the GPS? We have yet to get the GPS for our DFUs so I am curious. I would have to think having proof that you were at that location would be advantage UPS.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Do you still have to get the DFU signed or will they go solely by the GPS? We have yet to get the GPS for our DFUs so I am curious. I would have to think having proof that you were at that location would be advantage UPS.
I told them I delivered them where I said I did, and Im too scared to go back and confront them, its on you. I was actually too scared, I might be considered by some as tough, but Im not tough enough to risk my life getting into a peeing match over a delivery.
When a person has the gonads to say, when I have accurately described to the T the location it is a police matter, not mine. Dont care what anyone says. Im not doing it. Now if I had been stupid and made a bad dr, I will take the hit. I was not. So time to make the GPS pay for itself. LP said they were going to tell them we are not paying, it is obviously theft. Too lazy to move them whatever.

alister

I scanned two pkgs, one an air one a saver at my last stop. It was tight, but it was 10:27. By the time I got in, unloaded the other 17 pcs and got a sig it was 10:35. It showed as late, is this another new and improved feature? They asked me why I had late air, I said, "I dont know"! Any thoughts?

toonertoo,

any chance the stop was to a SADR account? the SADR report uses the stops complete instead of the stops start to determine if the package was delivered in the delivery window.

alister

At the moment, i forget what it stands for. basically there are a few customers that have contracts with that we tell them that we will deliver the packages to your stores between xx and xx. the drivers that have them should know the names of the stores they have. New stores get added from time to time and occasionally a new customer gets added.

alister

OK, now I got it. We have several major accounts that must be delivered by 1015. These stops are noted in the DIAD.
This is the only other "late" package type that i can think of and it is easily confused.

toonertoo, did the DIAD ask you for a late reason? The DIAD is right about 99.9% of the time on this. the only big problems are ASD where the driver keys in the wrong service level of the package and I have also seen the zip code not being correct and the driver doesn't notice/fix it but this should cause the DIAD to ask for a late reason code.