No cellphones in cab?

QKRSTKR

Hey tieguy, I'm not a feeder guy. Yes, you should not be talking and driving at the same time. It's not safe. My point is this, why doesnt UPS bring this stuff to the table during negotiations? Our contract doesn't expire till July 31, 2013. So less than 2 years into the new contract and you guys want to ban something. Cell phones aren't very new. Everyone has one. If it was such an issue all I'm saying is there is a time and place to address this stuff.

You are a feeder guy right? Do you tell them no CB's. Once your on the road is it a big difference in chattering on the cb and talking on a cell phone?

Please answer this one question for me. Why not put it in the contract to ban the use of cell phones while driving? Then there is no discussion!

And yes, I have had people all over the road on way and from area. It's usually not cause they are talking on the phone, it's young drivers texting. Pull up to a young driver at a red light and more times than not they are texting. It's not good.:anxious:

tieguy

Banned
Hey tieguy, I'm not a feeder guy. Yes, you should not be talking and driving at the same time. It's not safe. My point is this, why doesnt UPS bring this stuff to the table during negotiations? Our contract doesn't expire till July 31, 2013. So less than 2 years into the new contract and you guys want to ban something. Cell phones aren't very new. Everyone has one. If it was such an issue all I'm saying is there is a time and place to address this stuff.

You are a feeder guy right? Do you tell them no CB's. Once your on the road is it a big difference in chattering on the cb and talking on a cell phone?

Please answer this one question for me. Why not put it in the contract to ban the use of cell phones while driving? Then there is no discussion!

And yes, I have had people all over the road on way and from area. It's usually not cause they are talking on the phone, it's young drivers texting. Pull up to a young driver at a red light and more times than not they are texting. It's not good.:anxious:

I don't know why they did not put it in the contract. But then I don't think murder is in it either. :happy-very:

bumped

I don't know why they did not put it in the contract. But then I don't think murder is in it either. :happy-very:

Come on Tie... Murder is illegal in every state. Isn't it. Cell phone use while driving without a headset is illegal in some states. Thats why it is stated such in the contract.

brownman15

The cell phones are getting out of control. People on them while driving our vehicles.

the contract says we can use them while driving company vehicles if it allowed by law ups can not discipline for using them while driving.

the water should not be that big an issue. You have plenty of opportunities when stopped in traffic or plain stopped to get a drink.

then u will be threatened 2 be fired for not coding personal time for drinking water.

Keep your hands on the wheel as much as possible when driving to maintain safe control of it.

then everybody better get an automatic transmission truck

Eclipz

Has anyone been told they cannot have cell phones in cab of the truck they must be stored behind bulk head door?AND THEY CANNOT DRINK WHILE DRIVING.WATER OFCOURSE.

It should be obvious not to make calls while driving but I can't think of a good reason why you should store your phone behind the bulk head door and I've never been told so either. It has been mentioned in a PCM that the DIAD should be in it's holder while driving all the time. But I've never heard that something other than the packages should be stored behind the cab. To take things even further: I will sometimes have my next 3 stops in the cab if the packages aren't too big.

klein

Für Meno :)
It should be obvious not to make calls while driving but I can't think of a good reason why you should store your phone behind the bulk head door and I've never been told so either. It has been mentioned in a PCM that the DIAD should be in it's holder while driving all the time. But I've never heard that something other than the packages should be stored behind the cab. To take things even further: I will sometimes have my next 3 stops in the cab if the packages aren't too big.

Hey Amserdam lover... we all kinda cheat to get ahead... and to save time. But when you have a sup drive along... not even an envelope in your cab, it sucks.

QKRSTKR

Thanks for that back up bumped.

Now I know why some have 10,000 post. At first I just LMAO. Typical management. Yes, where I live murder is illegal and one of the 10 commandments. Guess Teamsters and UPS thought that one was covered. That one, tieguy, is pretty clear it's a no, no.

And I don't know why they didn't either. I think my point has been made.

SmithBarney

Just remember for the OJS, you tell the sup that you can't speak to him while driving
as it is a distraction, and he is to make no noise and no phone calls either.

"outta my way" was a favorite phrase while on an OJS... damn guy was always one step to slow nearly had to knock him out the door to get out of the PC.

Just remember for the OJS, you tell the sup that you can't speak to him while driving
as it is a distraction, and he is to make no noise and no phone calls either.

"outta my way" was a favorite phrase while on an OJS... damn guy was always one step to slow nearly had to knock him out the door to get out of the PC.
Ditto. Every Christmas we are told we are not allowed to talk to the helpers while driving. Management says that is a distraction and we are not allowed to do it. No sweat. On OJS rides, we are not allowed to talk to sups. Distraction. If they want to ask their silly questions, we'll be happy to pull over to the side of the road and sit there and answer them.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Sometime last year, our DM came in and gave us the extended PCM (everybody was heavy with air) about using cellphones while driving and how they all had to be secured in the back of the car.

I just happened to get in early that day, and while I was heading back into the building, the DM was heading out, yakking away on his cellphone.

Just another instance of 'do what I say, not what I do.'

Sometime last year, our DM came in and gave us the extended PCM (everybody was heavy with air) about using cellphones while driving and how they all had to be secured in the back of the car.

I just happened to get in early that day, and while I was heading back into the building, the DM was heading out, yakking away on his cellphone.

Just another instance of 'do what I say, not what I do.'

If drivers didn't drive a package car while on a cellphone this wouldn't be an issue. We are just told not to talk while driving, but a few drivers still do it...Why would the center manager be heading home in a package car?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If drivers didn't drive a package car while on a cellphone this wouldn't be an issue. We are just told not to talk while driving, but a few drivers still do it...Why would the center manager be heading home in a package car?

DM in his personal car (probably being paid mileage).

brownman15

because the contract says we can ups can bring up the awareness of the safety of driving while talking on a cell phone but that is it. cannot be disciplined for it due to article 18.

A

anonymous6

The cell phones are getting out of control. People on them while driving our vehicles.

the water should not be that big an issue. You have plenty of opportunities when stopped in traffic or plain stopped to get a drink.

Keep your hands on the wheel as much as possible when driving to maintain safe control of it.

There was a chartlottsville virginia feeder driver that ran up on top of a car recently. Never saw the car much less saw it stopping in front of him.Chances are good he was distracted for some unknown reason. Might have been on the cell phone , drinking a soda , yakking on the CB . who knows. five people in the car three of them kids all went to the hospital. You don't want that to happen to you. Keep yourself alert and in control when driving.

yes. I was pulled over by Nevada Highway patrol for hitting the stripe between the lanes. ( in personal vehicle ) he asked me if i was eating something. No. Was I drinking something? NO. Was I changing the channel on the radio? NO.

I was let go with a warning after explaining I had just got off work from UPS feeder.

I found out later you can get a DWI for any of these or being too tired which I am after every shift.

A

anonymous6

This is a little off topic, but it's a police officer's take on using hand held cell phones.

I was talking to a state police officer about a month ago. she told me that she did not want to see a driver's use of hand held cell phones outlawed. This was her argument:

1. She said that drivers will use them whether they were legal or not.

2. Many drivers who pull over to use a cell phone don't know how to properly pull over or reenter traffic - thus creating a hazardous situation for themselves as well as other drivers.

3. And last - all vehicles that are pulled off to the side of the road have to be checked out - whether or not they are occupied.

most drivers agree that the use of hand held cell phones while driving is the new drunk driving.

planoupsman

I can't talk on my phone while driving because the inside of my cab is too loud, but everyday on the way out to area, I am passed by younger UPS drivers yakking away on theirs. I guess their hearing is better than mine.