No insurance till 55 when you retire

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
agree.

my question on the retirement boards and at my local has also gone unanswered. I started here at age 38 so I need just 22 years of service to get peer80. so i'll be over 55 but do you need 25 years of service to qualify for insurance?

I have asked the Western Conference people and they told me to contact Delta Insurance. Delta told me to contact Western Conference or my Local. My Local told me to contact Delta as they have NEVER heard of this question. They all said that. I guess no-one has ever started at UPS at age 38 before.

I worked at non-union trucking companies for 15 years before here. BTW my old non-union trucking company is now paying $12 an hr, no sick days, no vacation days, no retirement plan or pension, one week vacation. Most of my friends that I worked with look 10-20 years older than they are and they HAVE-TO work until they are 65.

Every truck I see has a placard on the back looking for drivers. If you drive a semi for 12 bucks an hour you have no ambition.

Vette51

What if you worked at UPS for 37 years, 15 part time and 22 full-time.. Its a partial Pension but can you still pension at 57 years old under these circumstances from both part time an friend-t pension funds at 57 or is there an twist an turn where you get penalized or wont get pt til 62 regardless etc ??? I know at 57 i can get health ins..37 years will be long enough to work at ups.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Vette, I am not 100% sure but I think you would start drawing your FT pension when you retire but would have to wait until you turn 65 to start drawing your PT pension. Again, I am not 100% sure on this.

oldngray

nowhere special
What if you worked at UPS for 37 years, 15 part time and 22 full-time.. Its a partial Pension but can you still pension at 57 years old under these circumstances from both part time an friend-t pension funds at 57 or is there an twist an turn where you get penalized or wont get pt til 62 regardless etc ??? I know at 57 i can get health ins..37 years will be long enough to work at ups.

You would get 2 checks per month. One for your full time years and one for part rime. Same return address in Atlanta but from different accounts. I retired with 26 full time and 8 part time and get 2 checks. And I am under 55.

pretender

Vette, I am not 100% sure but I think you would start drawing your FT pension when you retire but would have to wait until you turn 65 to start drawing your PT pension. Again, I am not 100% sure on this.

I retired last year at age 57, with 35 full time and 4 part time years. Just as Oldngray, I receive two checks, both from Atlanta. If you wait, you would get a larger check for your part time years, but it was not worth it in my case.

A

anonymous6

Every truck I see has a placard on the back looking for drivers. If you drive a semi for 12 bucks an hour you have no ambition.

it's not as easy as you think. I worked for May trucking for 3 weeks and was making less than that. you are in the truck 24 hrs a day for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. lucky if it averages out to minimum wage. the best non-union job around here is about 18 bucks an hr and you have to wait for someone to die to have a chance on getting your foot in the door.

it's not as easy as you think. I worked for May trucking for 3 weeks and was making less than that. you are in the truck 24 hrs a day for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. lucky if it averages out to minimum wage. the best non-union job around here is about 18 bucks an hr and you have to wait for someone to die to have a chance on getting your foot in the door.
So in your opinion haveing a job at ups with teamster negotiated benifits is like a dream come true? It kinda like the Holy Grail of the industry.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

You can draw on your part-time pension.... But, prior till age 65, the SPD says you will incur a 6% reduction per year.

You would get 2 checks per month. One for your full time years and one for part rime. Same return address in Atlanta but from different accounts. I retired with 26 full time and 8 part time and get 2 checks. And I am under 55.

And being in the "new" pension plan, you will get a 3rd check from Central States starting at age 65.

Yet so many of you seem to take it for granted, almost as if you are entitled to those benefits.

Well.... you are contractually entitled to those benefits. But I understand what you mean.

​-Bug-

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Yet so many of you seem to take it granted, almost as if you are entitled to those benefits.

In the West we have "Maintenance of Standards" which is why there is some animosity toward the healthcare change. It was negotiated 35 years ago when the Company sold us on a UPS healthcare plan, and means that we can never have less than what we negotiated before. It's the reason for the $629 million in "enhancements" to the CSH&W plan should it become the provider for the West. So in effect, "maintenance of standards" is an entitlement.

Under the enhanced CSH&W we are able to obtain healthcare coverage at age 52, not 55. This puts people who are able to retire at age 49 (and there are many of us) in a bit of a situation. Should the retire early, they would have to purchase their own health insurance to make up the gap. At age 52 you have a one-time "opt in" chance at the CSH&W. So in effect, this is going to delay retirement for many people by 3 years. Lately, many haven't been retiring at age 49 on schedule, but I think there are many that would like to coming up relatively soon. They've had enough. What's more important is that we were able to continue Post-65 coverage under the CSH&W. That will be significant for many people. Hopefully Andy M can come up with a better plan for ourselves in the West that maintains much of what we had and will allow for coverage at age 49. I have much confidence in Andy's abilities to create such a plan.

A

anonymous6

"entitled to those benefits?"

damn straight dude!!! those benefits were EARNED and BLED for!! .

A

anonymous6

So in your opinion haveing a job at ups with teamster negotiated benifits is like a dream come true? It kinda like the Holy Grail of the industry.

yes it is . I worked for nonunion companies for close to 25 years before UPS. However, after 20 years here and the company making billions in profits every 3 months, I don't think it is unreasonable for the people who made it happen to be financially rewarded. ( the TA still doesn't cut it )

Yet so many of you seem to take it granted, almost as if you are entitled to those benefits.
When I get in my truck on my way to work I say prayers everyday. Here is what I say.

Thanks for waking me up today lord.
Thanks for giving me a way to support my family ups.
Thanks for giving me a family.
Thanks for giving me Grace Noah and Brenda.
Thanks for helping me get through my demons.
Thanks for giving me a grandma Crilley who planted the mustard seed of Christianity in me.
Please protect me in the heart of the devil where I'm about to go.

Listen here son. There isn't a lot of teamsters who pray daily and give thanks for the United Parcel amongst other things. So maybe you should think about the so many of YOU statement. You offended me son.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
... I don't think it is unreasonable for the people who made it happen to be financially rewarded.

Except for P/Timers, almost everyone would think you already are very well rewarded ... especially outside major metro big city areas.
You might want to try rewording your intended thoughts ... this one didn't work.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Except for P/Timers, almost everyone would think you already are very well rewarded ... especially outside major metro big city areas.
You might want to try rewording your intended thoughts ... this one didn't work.
Yes, Oh Great One- thank you so much for all that money we make. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thank you for all that you have done to keep UPS in business because none of the hourlies did anything to help. Thank you so much. Please come out of retirement.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

I tend to agree. In my small WI town I live like a king. I feel bad for the folks, family members included, that make less, pay more for health insurance, and have no pension.

LagunaBrown

In the West we have "Maintenance of Standards" which is why there is some animosity toward the healthcare change. It was negotiated 35 years ago when the Company sold us on a UPS healthcare plan, and means that we can never have less than what we negotiated before. It's the reason for the $629 million in "enhancements" to the CSH&W plan should it become the provider for the West. So in effect, "maintenance of standards" is an entitlement.

Under the enhanced CSH&W we are able to obtain healthcare coverage at age 52, not 55. This puts people who are able to retire at age 49 (and there are many of us) in a bit of a situation. Should the retire early, they would have to purchase their own health insurance to make up the gap. At age 52 you have a one-time "opt in" chance at the CSH&W. So in effect, this is going to delay retirement for many people by 3 years. Lately, many haven't been retiring at age 49 on schedule, but I think there are many that would like to coming up relatively soon. They've had enough. What's more important is that we were able to continue Post-65 coverage under the CSH&W. That will be significant for many people. Hopefully Andy M can come up with a better plan for ourselves in the West that maintains much of what we had and will allow for coverage at age 49. I have much confidence in Andy's abilities to create such a plan.

Yup.... People think this is a blanket agreement and its not. Issues range from region to region and most guys in the west have no idea about whats going on. We need to stand alone in the west or there could be huge fallout.

Vette51

Oldngray did the 6% penalty apply to you because your under 62 ?? or because you had over 30 years did it not apply ?