Nobody wants to be pt Sup!Why?

22.34life

When I read your comments the first thing that stands out is "i dont think they make that much." I am willing to bet thinking, is not one of your strong points, don't hurt yourself. Part time supervisors are stilled guaranteed their 27.5 hours a week. Their is an option to only pay part time sups "time worked" but it is only allowed to be used if someone is abusing the system. For example in the old system a part time supervisor could no call no show to work and still get paid. Now that can be prevented. As far as you running the area, great. That's the way it should be. Big Brown shouldn't have to pay someone to babysit you. I like your attitude after all the 22.3 jobs are eliminated you should put in for part time management. Here's another perk: You throw a package 25 feet and that part time supervisors has you out the door, he throws the package, all you can do is watch....

my thinking was just good enough to keep me out of management thank you very much.you said that they are guaranteed 27.5 hrs,last time i checked the only people guaranteed anything are union members,they and you are not guaranteed squat.Pt sups dont make any money, maybe $1200 a month after taxes and paying for their benifits,you know socks your funny i like your post and if i ever was a p/t sup i would be better than these clowns we have now ,just because i am a better employee whether your talking about union or management.I am real cool with almost all the p/t sups and the stuff they tell me out of their own mouths is reason enough for anyone not to go p/t sup,in my building we have had at least 12 p/t sups quit in the last month and i mean guys who have been there for a while ,if its so great why do they keep quiting.

UPSSOCKS

my thinking was just good enough to keep me out of management thank you very much.you said that they are guaranteed 27.5 hrs,last time i checked the only people guaranteed anything are union members,they and you are not guaranteed squat.Pt sups dont make any money, maybe $1200 a month after taxes and paying for their benifits,you know socks your funny i like your post and if i ever was a p/t sup i would be better than these clowns we have now ,just because i am a better employee whether your talking about union or management.I am real cool with almost all the p/t sups and the stuff they tell me out of their own mouths is reason enough for anyone not to go p/t sup,in my building we have had at least 12 p/t sups quit in the last month and i mean guys who have been there for a while ,if its so great why do they keep quiting.

Your wrong....

UPSSOCKS

You can rest assured,that ups monitors this site,and everything Mr, SOCKS says is just as entertaining to them.
Throwing packages? UPSSOCKS needs a good TLA,
Or maybe a tar and feathering:wink2:
Big words from a casual employee.
How to supplement your paper route income.
Become a spokesperson for Jim Casey's dream.

Sarcasm? I hope so,

I never said throwing packages was a good thing to do. I walk people out of the building daily for doing it. I'm saying there's nothing he can do about his superior throwing packages. The supervisor throwing the packages will eventually get caught by the wrong person and they won't be able to grieve their termination...

fxdwg

Long Time Member
UPSSOCKS has a very valid point:

I'm saying there's nothing he can do about his superior throwing packages. The supervisor throwing the packages will eventually get caught by the wrong person and they won't be able to grieve their termination...

He seems to come from a very basic, ground level perspective.... Challenge him. but he has a valid point!!!

UPSSOCKS

I hope this comment is just deep rooted sarcasm and not an honest opinion based on your complete hatred of anything non-management. Aside from the few examples listed in the contract, telling a potential new PT sup to continue to do union work is grounds for grievance, wether you give a crap or not, supervisors doing union work whenever they feel like it is a contract violation and is unjustified. If workers arent willing to pick up the pace then let the supes bring the issue up with management, and if the workers just have too much work then let them speak with management about their excessive work load, instead of having PT sups step in whenever they feel the need. What I'm trying to say is PT sups have to stop working and the workers have to stand up for themselves if they have too much work. I haven't been around these forums for a terribly long time but I notice that no matter what the topic of conversation you always take managements side no matter what. I am not completely pro union workers nor am I anti management because I see both sides have their faults in that the workers think the management is screwing them so the workers then try to screw management, then the management sees the workers are screwing them so then management screws the workers. Its just a vicious cycle that neither side is willing to put an end to because they both want their justice. You can blame lazy workers for all the problems management has but you can also blame UPS for hiring anyone that can barely pass a 2nd grade final exam and has no motivation, plus setting expectations that are too high for what its workers are capable and willing to achieve.

Listen to yourself.... I highlighted your own comments in bold.... When these people applied for a position at UPS, I'm pretty sure they weren't told "if you think you have too much work, stand up for yourself," or "if you think management is screwing you, screw them back." It is what it is. These workers don't have a choice, they have to work as instructed. They don't get to choose how hard they get to work. AND on another note.. It's all about the customers and if a management person has to step in to make the customer happy so be it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
How can people complain about supervisors doing hourly work at the same time they are complaining about having to work too many hours? I'm pretty sure the supervisor would rather not have to do hourly work.

This is an easy one, the answer is proper staffing of an operation.
The way for an hourly to see that it happens is to grieve the supervisor working at doubletime.

UPSSOCKS

This is an easy one, the answer is proper staffing of an operation.
The way for an hourly to see that it happens is to grieve the supervisor working at doubletime.

No no no Mr Part time supervisor wanna be. The answer is to make the employees you have get the work done faster. If the union doesn't get the work done at the rate I want them to, then I find a non union person that can. Been doing it like that for years, and no one files grievances when I am around.

konsole

No no no Mr Part time supervisor wanna be. The answer is to make the employees you have get the work done faster. If the union doesn't get the work done at the rate I want them to, then I find a non union person that can. Been doing it like that for years, and no one files grievances when I am around.

I don't really feel like getting any more involved in this topic with you because its obvious that no matter what I say you will never change your opinion. Either that or your just a forum troll that knows nothing but saracasm. If your not being sarcastic then I admire the motivation you have to get things done and not put up with peoples crap, but this mentality you have of "I'm always right, your always wrong; my choice is always best and if you don't agree then theres something wrong with you" is dangerous and is one of the if not the main reason why people dislike their superiors, but don't take the opposite extreme and think that I'm saying you have to give in to your subordinates every wants/needs and opinions. Finding a middle ground that leans a bit more to yourself is alot more admirable then acting like a robot that never makes mistakes. If your union workers are not getting the work done as fast as you would like then your expectations are way too high or the workers need to be replaced, but having supervisors break the contract and work day after day after day to make up for the rest of your expectations is not the answer.

Just curious but what position do you hold at the company?

UPSSOCKS

I don't really feel like getting any more involved in this topic with you because its obvious that no matter what I say you will never change your opinion. Either that or your just a forum troll that knows nothing but saracasm. If your not being sarcastic then I admire the motivation you have to get things done and not put up with peoples crap, but this mentality you have of "I'm always right, your always wrong; my choice is always best and if you don't agree then theres something wrong with you" is dangerous and is one of the if not the main reason why people dislike their superiors, but don't take the opposite extreme and think that I'm saying you have to give in to your subordinates every wants/needs and opinions. Finding a middle ground that leans a bit more to yourself is alot more admirable then acting like a robot that never makes mistakes. If your union workers are not getting the work done as fast as you would like then your expectations are way too high or the workers need to be replaced, but having supervisors break the contract and work day after day after day to make up for the rest of your expectations is not the answer.

Just curious but what position do you hold at the company?

I am a part time package handler.....

steeltoe

Listen to yourself.... I highlighted your own comments in bold.... When these people applied for a position at UPS, I'm pretty sure they weren't told "if you think you have too much work, stand up for yourself," or "if you think management is screwing you, screw them back." It is what it is. These workers don't have a choice, they have to work as instructed. They don't get to choose how hard they get to work. AND on another note.. It's all about the customers and if a management person has to step in to make the customer happy so be it.

This is the problem with the management style at UPS. A good manager, manages the people who work under him. When I was in mamagement at another company, I had a very smart boss. He told me to always think about my salary as an hourly wage. I was paid to manage people who make less money. When ever I even thought about doing a non-management task, I was trained to remember that my hourly average was roughly $30.00 per hour. He never wanted to see me attempting work at that hourly rate, when I could instruct someone else to handle the task at a much lower rate. I could then work on my job and make the company more money, instead of costing the company more money. At UPS, our management team is paid to mangae people the same way. As a manager, why would you encourage a part-time sup making roughly $13.00 per hour to do the work that can be done for $8.50 per hour? This attitude does not make sense and is one of the reasons our company is headed down the wrong road.

On another note. You obviously do not understand the definition of a contract. At UPS, we all work under an agreed upon contract. It is not a Union contract. It is a contract between the Teamsters and UPS. Both sides met and came up with a defined working relationship. Weather you like it or not, people much higher up than the two of us developed this agreement. They both agreed to the rules.

It takes two parties to have a contract. For you to instruct people to not follow these agreed to rules in not only costing the company money, it is not moral. I am sure you will attack these comments, but we all know that you can not argue this basic concept and be honest about it.

UPSSOCKS

This is the problem with the management style at UPS. A good manager, manages the people who work under him. When I was in mamagement at another company, I had a very smart boss. He told me to always think about my salary as an hourly wage. I was paid to manage people who make less money. When ever I even thought about doing a non-management task, I was trained to remember that my hourly average was roughly $30.00 per hour. He never wanted to see me attempting work at that hourly rate, when I could instruct someone else to handle the task at a much lower rate. I could then work on my job and make the company more money, instead of costing the company more money. At UPS, our management team is paid to mangae people the same way. As a manager, why would you encourage a part-time sup making roughly $13.00 per hour to do the work that can be done for $8.50 per hour? This attitude does not make sense and is one of the reasons our company is headed down the wrong road.

On another note. You obviously do not understand the definition of a contract. At UPS, we all work under an agreed upon contract. It is not a Union contract. It is a contract between the Teamsters and UPS. Both sides met and came up with a defined working relationship. Weather you like it or not, people much higher up than the two of us developed this agreement. They both agreed to the rules.

It takes two parties to have a contract. For you to instruct people to not follow these agreed to rules in not only costing the company money, it is not moral. I am sure you will attack these comments, but we all know that you can not argue this basic concept and be honest about it.

Before I start I want to say you're welcome. You're welcome because I am about to spread some of my knowledge to you, and teach you. Let's go over what you said. The only people that make 8.50 are new hires. The only part time supervisors that make $13.00 and hour are new hires that were immediately promoted to part time supervison. I do understand the "contract" I just don't care about it. Nobody follows it. Union or Management. It's in place to make people feel good. When someone feels wronged by the company, the contract makes them feel good. They file grievances because it is like revenge, and revenge feels good. The union is a very profitable organization, and so is UPS. Both get rich off of their members/employees. I'll give you a number to research and then you will see the light. How much did UPS pay in total grievances last year? That's settlements, panels, everything... When you see that number, compare it to total profit. It is less than 1%.

The cost of the grievances last year didn't even add up to the cost we saved on Turkey's and extra recognition......

22.34life

Before I start I want to say you're welcome. You're welcome because I am about to spread some of my knowledge to you, and teach you. Let's go over what you said. The only people that make 8.50 are new hires. The only part time supervisors that make $13.00 and hour are new hires that were immediately promoted to part time supervison. I do understand the "contract" I just don't care about it. Nobody follows it. Union or Management. It's in place to make people feel good. When someone feels wronged by the company, the contract makes them feel good. They file grievances because it is like revenge, and revenge feels good. The union is a very profitable organization, and so is UPS. Both get rich off of their members/employees. I'll give you a number to research and then you will see the light. How much did UPS pay in total grievances last year? That's settlements, panels, everything... When you see that number, compare it to total profit. It is less than 1%.

The cost of the grievances last year didn't even add up to the cost we saved on Turkey's and extra recognition......
thank you for your knowledge,p/t sups dont make jack and then you get a 2% raise or better yet no raise at all.Come on man you act like p/t sups are pulling in weekly g's ,in your world i guess p/t sups make 50k a year, give me a break.One member made 50 grand off a grievance,just one member.Something you said was the only people that make 8.50 are new hires and the only p/t sups that make 13.00/hour are newly promoted new hires,the only people who get promoted are new people usually in their first year,dont you all want to get them that way,so you can get'em cheap right.you also want to make sure they get promoted before they hear the truth from people.SO if a new guy gets promoted within a year he has not got a raise yet so what is that $9/hr,he gets promoted so thats a 10% raise and then max 5% raise a year ,so if this math is close how are these p/t sups making so much money.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Part time sups make about 20k per year. At 5.5 hours per day it works out to about $15/hr.
Partimers at $9/hr make about 10k per year if they work 5 hours every day. Most make less.

rama'nfeeders

If I caught a union employee yelling at one of my part time supervisors, I would fire them on the spot. When they got their job back I would personally make an example out of them. Part time supervisors might be low, but the union help is one knotch lower last time I checked.

I don't know where u r from, but you would never make an example of me because I"ve never intimidated by any management **********. I've been yelled at, threatened, tried to be terminated and never have I lost a days worth of work. Yes, I ***********************8.....you know why....I use the rules that are in affect that not only protect me,but ****************************************************

Last edited by a moderator:

over9five

Staff member
I don't know where u r from, but you would never make an example of me because I"ve never intimidated by any management **********. I've been yelled at, threatened, tried to be terminated and never have I lost a days worth of work. Yes, I ***********************8.....you know why....I use the rules that are in affect that not only protect me,but ****************************************************

Easy with the language, Rama'nfeeders