Non Safety Assessments Now Required For Continued Employment?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
why can't we have a different opinion on non safety? these so called opinions change on a yearly basis. remember when eggs , and coffee was bad for you? now they say they are good. there are hundreds of other examples.

i don't like being told what to think and what to believe in on non safety issues.

Their terminology is wrong. SUBSTANCE abuse is not a disease. It is:

A."a maladaptive pattern of substance use leading to clinically significant impairment or
distress, as manifested by one or more of the following: (paraphrasing)
1. Recurrent use that results in failure to fulfill a major role, such as work or school or
caring for children.
2. Recurrent use in situations where it's physically hazardous
3. Legal problems related to recurrent substance abuse.
4. Continued use despite having significant personal or social problems because of it.

-OR-

B. The symptoms have never met the criteria for Substance Dependence for this class of substance."

Substance DEPENDENCE is a disease.

This is not taken as opinion in the medical community. They are both used as medical diagnoses.

The tests are for training purposes. We've been taking them here for a couple years. Sit there and retake it until you get 100%.

Just like you said, everybody has an opinion about things that can't be scientifically proven or math.
Most people understand this (if they have an open mind). Every test you took in high school and college was demonstrating your ability to understand the opinions of the teacher and the textbook writer and repeat them back.

A

anonymous6

Just like you said, everybody has an opinion about things that can't be scientifically proven or math.
Most people understand this (if they have an open mind). Every test you took in high school and college was demonstrating your ability to understand the opinions of the teacher and the textbook writer and repeat them back.

so you are saying i should just go along to get along even if i strongly disagree with their answers?

UPSGUY72

Their terminology is wrong. SUBSTANCE abuse is not a disease. It is:

A."a maladaptive pattern of substance use leading to clinically significant impairment or
distress, as manifested by one or more of the following: (paraphrasing)
1. Recurrent use that results in failure to fulfill a major role, such as work or school or
caring for children.
2. Recurrent use in situations where it's physically hazardous
3. Legal problems related to recurrent substance abuse.
4. Continued use despite having significant personal or social problems because of it.

-OR-

B. The symptoms have never met the criteria for Substance Dependence for this class of substance."

Substance DEPENDENCE is a disease.

This is not taken as opinion in the medical community. They are both used as medical diagnoses.

The tests are for training purposes. We've been taking them here for a couple years. Sit there and retake it until you get 100%.

Your wrong I have a BS in Psychology and Human Factors Sunstance abuse can be a disease.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
It's not just a test, it's another method of harassment. This may have started out as a way to "educate" employees on healthy living, but like many things UPS corporate does turns into harassment tools on the local level. Remember how Telematics started out, a way to help with vehicle maintenance and streamline the delivery process? Well, now it is being used as a termination tool.

No one can be disciplined from telematics either, it is proven unreliable and therefore useless. If your center is using it for discipline you need to get that stopped immediately.

UPSGUY72

No one can be disciplined from telematics either, it is proven unreliable and therefore useless. If your center is using it for discipline you need to get that stopped immediately.

Exactly if you let them push you around, they will do it all the time untill you do something about it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
so you are saying i should just go along to get along even if i strongly disagree with their answers?

That's what I would do ... I don't care that others have opinions different from mine. I just feel superior after the experience. :wink2:

It's just a test where one can only be correct if they repeat what they have been told is the answer. You don't have to believe it.
That's what I did all the way through high school and college in those Literature, Psychology, History, etc. courses.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
ok , grievance under what article? also they are not idle threats as drivers have already been taken off road.

They can take you off road any time they want to, but unless it is a layoff in seniority order you are still entitled to your 8 hr gurantee plus any OT that was earned by whoever ran your route.

Art 22 Section 2 of the Western Region Supplement ( or its equivalent if you arent in the Western Region) gives a specific list of actions that the company is allowed to terminate you for without the necessity of progressive discipline. These actions include theft, drinking on duty, provable dishonesty, or a serious accident that is caused by your reckless behavior.
They do not include failure to score 100% on an assement.

The management person who told you that you had to score 100% is either (a) ignorant of the contract or (b) lying to you.

A

anonymous6

That's what I would do ... I don't care that others have opinions different from mine. I just feel superior after the experience. :wink2:

It's just a test where one can only be correct if they repeat what they have been told is the answer. You don't have to believe it.
That's what I did all the way through high school and college in those Literature, Psychology, History, etc. courses.
i'm sorry but i just don't understand your way of thinking but thanks anyway.

soberups

example. they say that drug abuse is a "disease " I don't think like that. that is a loser mentality. i think it is weakness or character flaw. regardless , it is just MY OPINION. their opinion is that is a disease.

everyone is entitled to an opinion. i just don't want their opinions shoved down my throat.

It boils down to a question of semantics.

"Normal" people can use recreational drugs such as alcohol or marijuana in moderation with no ill effects. "Normal" people can use prescription medications such as pain killers or sedatives as instructed under the care of a doctor with no ill effects.

There are also people, such as myself, who cannot use such substances in moderation. Our brain chemistry is different. Introduction of such substances into our bodies produces the phenomenon of craving, as well as all sorts of self-centered and destructive behaviors. It is not a character flaw and it has nothing to do with willpower. It is a disease and there is no cure for it. In order for such people to have a normal and healthy life, they must abstain completely from use of such substances through a daily recovery program.

The "loser mentality" you speak of might accurately apply to people who know they have a problem and use it as an excuse for all sorts of inappropriate behavior rather than taking personal responsibility for their actions. A person who knows that they are an alcoholic or an addict has a responsibility to themselves and others to do something about their problem, and the first thing they have to do is to admit that they have the disease and that they will never be able to drink or use like normal people do.

soberups

I agree with you that requiring you to score 100% on the test is a steaming load of BS.

You might consider telling them "since I will never agree with the answers, please write down which answers you would like me to spoon-feed you so that you can look good on paper to the idiot from corporate who is telling you to make me take this test. I will then score 100%, and you will be happy, and your idiot superior will be happy, and then we can focus on things that actually matter like providing service to our customers."

This will allow you to take the silly test and give them the make-believe answers they want to see while still keeping your integity intact.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Maybe an analogy will help.
I believe men should wear a beard and if I could, I would.
However, as a condition of being employed with UPS, I cannot have a beard.
Therefore I shave my facial hair off on work days before I go to work.
After 30 plus years of doing something that I don't agree with, I still have my opinion on facial hair in place.

Companies have the right to "control" one's behavior but they have no right to control what you think.
Therefore, answer the questions the way that the company defines them to be correct but continue to think the way you see it.
No company, no government, no church, no person has the ability to change what you think.

tourists24

I agree with you that requiring you to score 100% on the test is a steaming load of BS.

You might consider telling them "since I will never agree with the answers, please write down which answers you would like me to spoon-feed you so that you can look good on paper to the idiot from corporate who is telling you to make me take this test. I will then score 100%, and you will be happy, and your idiot superior will be happy, and then we can focus on things that actually matter like providing service to our customers."

This will allow you to take the silly test and give them the make-believe answers they want to see while still keeping your integity intact.
lol... once again Sober you have worded things in a colorful way that all can enjoy.... good job