Northern New England Pkg Drivers & Feeders...Mandated Lunches??

Do You Take A Full Lunch at the Correct Time Everyday?

• Yea

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • Ney

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We have 30 minutes for lunch. I would decapitate myself on the bulkhead door if I had to waste an hour doing nothing.
I get an unpaid half hour lunch and two 10 min breaks.
I take them all at once every day between the 3rd and 6th hour, without exception.
The DIAD gets locked in the back of the truck and the cell phone gets turned off and put on the charger.
That time is used to rest and reset, both physically and mentally for the remainder of the day.
It's hardly a waste, but an hour unpaid...???

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Why do you think.... you can't "break trace" to take a lunch ?

-Bug-
Most of the time they don't want us breaking trace by more than a mile one way to lunch.

The term that I have usually heard in other instances is "reasonable".

Each management team has a different interpretation of "reasonable".
Had a center manager, who is now our Division Manager, call a driver in the office because she came to an intersection where if she went left she would stay in trace, but instead took a right and went to McDonald's about a 1/4 mile down the road.
He contended that the moment she broke trace, her lunch started and in turn she had extended her lunch by 4 minutes.
I told him (in a more eloquent way) that he was nuts.
He then told me that we needed to grieve it to see who was right.

We declined, but I made him a deal, one that I have made with him on several other occasions.
I offered to be the "guinea pig" and would mirror the same scenario for the next week and that he would need to take progressive discipline on me for subsequent days until I was no longer whole, so we could go to the panel for final resolution.

He declined, again, as he must have realized his position would likely not be viewed as "reasonable".

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Most of the time they don't want us breaking trace by more than a mile one way to lunch.

The term that I have usually heard in other instances is "reasonable".

You can't bypass places, if it is within your 3rd and 6th hour of work.

But, the company cannot "deny the need" for use of a (public) bathroom.

With facilities, that have hot & cold running water.

And the availability of food.

The company can not "force you" to pack a lunch.

Each management team has a different interpretation of "reasonable".

That's funny.

The "opinion" of local management, is just that.

Had a center manager, who is now our Division Manager, call a driver in the office because she came to an intersection where if she went left she would stay in trace, but instead took a right and went to McDonald's about a 1/4 mile down the road.
He contended that the moment she broke trace, her lunch started and in turn she had extended her lunch by 4 minutes.

He's an idiot.

And, doesn't have a clue.

I offered to be the "guinea pig" and would mirror the same scenario for the next week and that he would need to take progressive discipline on me for subsequent days until I was no longer whole, so we could go to the panel for final resolution.

He's an idiot.

And, doesn't have a clue.

He declined, again, as he must have realized his position would likely not be viewed as "reasonable".

The word would be "untenable". :biggrin:

Center managers bluff.... all the time. They aren't considered partners anymore.

The "smart ones" use the position to pad their resume, and move on.

Taking the "bullet" for your fellow Teamster members.

I'm good with that.

-Bug-

Gimme Danger

@Lead Belly
tmp_19642-FB_IMG_14658671415041442210246.jpg